Sponsored by:

992 Rear Reflector Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 01:22 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,193 Likes on 1,480 Posts
Default 992 Rear Reflector Removal

I'm going to paint my 992 Rear Reflectors to the car color and do it myself. Since its winter out, I think I'll take them off the bumper and inside to my basement workshop where the paint can be done at 70 degrees instead of 30 degrees. Has anyone popped off their rear reflectors yet? I searched and did not see it posted on any how-to's yet. TIA.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:44 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

@Eric - Plug Guy prices are a bargain on the bumperplugs website. High quality work too. I’d recommend him before DIY
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
peterdouglas (12-26-2020), Todd C (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 01:46 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Thanks- I have used them in the past, preter to DIY it - I'm a good painter myself.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 02:20 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

All I can say is be very careful. You want to mask/tape the inset area where they sit as much as possible - to the extent of sliding the tape into the gap between the reflector and bumper, and double lining it as well. The reflectors have notches that will almost certainly scratch the bumper on the way out otherwise, specifically along the top of the reflector. Pulling it out will feel like breaking it the first time you do it. Because of the curvature it will "bend" as you're working on the second retainer, but it's quite solid for what it is so bending will feel sketchy. I started on the inner (license plate) side, and just used a flat trim removal tool to get behind the reflector and slowly work my way out. There's barely any grip to work with until you get the second retainer out, so you basically need to go in long-ways with the tool to continue to keep pressure (so it doesn't just snap back in). This will also help prevent you from pivoting on the second retainer area where it wants to bend. Once the second one pops out, it's fairly smooth sailing after that - you can continue to use the tool or use your hands. Snapping back in is basically the opposite - just line it up and be sure to apply pressure at each of the retainers. I personally didn't feel as much "feedback" when snapping back in as I'd prefer/expect, but I think this is partly due to lack of support behind that area - it flexes a little as you apply pressure.

I can get pics later of the reflectors so you understand where the clips and tabs are.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:56 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Thank you Ryanisith, that's the info I need. Knowing which end to start the removal is key - and I will be sure to tape up!
Old 12-26-2020, 03:06 PM
Ofir911
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the optional ones that pop out by themselves...

Old 12-26-2020, 05:11 PM
lkngshrp
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I wrapped mine in place...

Super cheap and looks great
PhotoNerd (03-15-2023)
Old 12-26-2020, 05:57 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 754 Posts

I got mine from bumper plugs. I did mine in CWM to match the car.

They come out super easy, I did not use tape, you can of course. Just push on the outer edge and they will give you a gap to pull outward on...

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 12-26-2020 at 05:58 PM.
myw (01-02-2021)
Old 12-26-2020, 05:57 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts
Default OEM quality reflector replacements

I used these (and bumper plugs) on my 991 Targa4S and TurboS and thought they were great - perfect fit & finish. Appears they should also work for 992.

https://bumperplugs.com/reflectors/991-rear-reflectors
Jeff Whitten (12-09-2023)
Old 01-06-2021, 04:15 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Bumping this. How do you pull the reflectors out? Id like to attempt to wrap mine.

And has anyone tried plasti dip spray yet? I know I know. Its cheap ****. But its removable and typically matches rough plastic better than vinyl wrap texture wise.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:08 PM
lkngshrp
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default My guy wrapped them on my car

Took him 15 min...
Old 01-07-2021, 02:25 AM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

I purchased a spare set off from Suncoast to either wrap/tint mine, and the 4 clips on the back are definitely not designed to be pulled from the "outside"
They should be squeezed from the inside in order to release them.... so removing the rear bumper is the "right" way to do it.

I'm surprised folks are able to pull them off without damage, but I suppose with enough force, and the fact that the slots in the bumper can flex, you can do it.
The reflector lenses/plastic were definitely not designed to flex.

Posters above have obviously been successful - but after seeing how these work, you may snap the reflector plastic on the way out... but they're pretty cheap so maybe worth a shot.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
I purchased a spare set off from Suncoast to either wrap/tint mine, and the 4 clips on the back are definitely not designed to be pulled from the "outside"
They should be squeezed from the inside in order to release them.... so removing the rear bumper is the "right" way to do it.

I'm surprised folks are able to pull them off without damage, but I suppose with enough force, and the fact that the slots in the bumper can flex, you can do it.
The reflector lenses/plastic were definitely not designed to flex.

Posters above have obviously been successful - but after seeing how these work, you may snap the reflector plastic on the way out... but they're pretty cheap so maybe worth a shot.
I did mine and took 5 minutes, they pop right out. If you push on the outer most part by the license plate side of the reflector, it will give a gap. With a trim tool, you start at the wheel side of the reflector and it comes right out. Not much different then doing the front amber lights. Mine came out with no damage to the reflector or the paint, and took less than 2 minutes per side to both take out and replace (pics were above).
Old 01-07-2021, 12:11 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Thank you gentlemen. I tried pulling on mine but they did not give much so I gave up. I did find this picture online. Richard did yours look like this on the backside?

Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Thank you gentlemen. I tried pulling on mine but they did not give much so I gave up. I did find this picture online. Richard did yours look like this on the backside?

I haven’t pulled my stock ones yet since my car is still being built but as you can see those hard plastic clips are only designed to slip in one way.... pulling against them is not likely the way Porsche recommends removal.

The front ambers were designed for easy removal with a metal/tapered clip.

Pic for comparison:

It’s obviously possible... but I am planning an exhaust tip switch that requires bumper removal so I will tackle mine then.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 992 Rear Reflector Removal