992 Rear Reflector Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:30 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Cute Driving Shoes!
HaHa! I love my Montage pimp slippers! I got these while at the Montage in South Caroline this past August. That place is beyond words beautiful.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (01-14-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:20 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I received some satin black reflectors (I guess they aren’t really reflectors) from Bumper Plugs and have made several failed attempts to install.

Not going to attempt anymore after reading the unfortunate thread above. I went on Porsche’s technical literature portal to see how they prescribe replacing the reflectors and they say to remove the entire rear apron. I guess I’m going to take it to my Indy mechanic and get him to do it. I’m wondering for those that were able to do it without any issues if maybe you just happened to hit the fasteners at exactly the right point causing them to disengage. I thought this would be easier.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:23 AM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankAT
I received some satin black reflectors (I guess they aren’t really reflectors) from Bumper Plugs and have made several failed attempts to install.

Not going to attempt anymore after reading the unfortunate thread above. I went on Porsche’s technical literature portal to see how they prescribe replacing the reflectors and they say to remove the entire rear apron. I guess I’m going to take it to my Indy mechanic and get him to do it. I’m wondering for those that were able to do it without any issues if maybe you just happened to hit the fasteners at exactly the right point causing them to disengage. I thought this would be easier.
It's not easy, nor for the faint of heart. I really thought I broke them the first time (and I guess I had a high chance of doing so). I actually removed one of the replacements on two subsequent occasions without issue. For me it was really just a matter of slowly gaining leverage with a trim removal piece - never bending or forcing.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:32 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FrankAT

I had a very hard time. Mine would not break loose where the T shaped plugs are. I broke one side completely and left the other one alone, My replacement one doesn’t hold into its place as snug as the stock one did either. You’d never notice unless I pointed it out, but it bugs me.

I’d prefer painted but I’m not trying that again.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:53 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I had a very hard time. Mine would not break loose where the T shaped plugs are. I broke one side completely and left the other one alone, My replacement one doesn’t hold into its place as snug as the stock one did either. You’d never notice unless I pointed it out, but it bugs me.

I’d prefer painted but I’m not trying that again.
Or BIGWORM just remove the bumper and swap them out that way. If you don't mind breaking them I think then that is one way to go for those removing these but I think it depends on luck and part skill and depending on how well they were installed at the factory that day on the line as to getting them out. So I'll pass or if anything would have had them swapped out when they did my exhaust install 2 weeks ago. Yeah I know having a loose one is probably driving you nuts. Would have tried some double sided tape on re-install maybe or if you do add painted ones in the future? Just a thought.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 01-19-2021 at 03:04 AM.
BIGWORM (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:34 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Bumping this. How do you pull the reflectors out? Id like to attempt to wrap mine.

And has anyone tried plasti dip spray yet? I know I know. Its cheap ****. But its removable and typically matches rough plastic better than vinyl wrap texture wise.
Honestly this might be the best option - spray plasti-dip while the reflectors are on the car.
PhotoNerd (03-15-2023)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:15 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
Honestly this might be the best option - spray plasti-dip while the reflectors are on the car.
I should have tried that with the replacement reflector I had to buy. Even if it didn’t match well, it would have peeled right off.

I ended wrapping mine with 3M satin black 2080 vinyl. I’ve never wrapped anything and I think it came out well.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 01-17-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I should have tried that with the replacement reflector I had to buy. Even if it didn’t match well, it would have peeled right off.

I ended wrapping mine with 3M satin black 2080 vinyl. I’ve never wrapped anything and I think it came out well.

That actually looks really good. But what a pain in the *** it sounds like to pull those reflectors off. I may try Plastidip whenever I get the TTS (if I decide to go with clear brake lights). It's a little ironic doing plastidip on cars like these but whatever. No one is the wiser and, like you said, if you f*** it up, you can always peel the stuff off. The Bumperplugs version doesn't quite match good enough based on the pics I've seen.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:02 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
That actually looks really good. But what a pain in the *** it sounds like to pull those reflectors off. I may try Plastidip whenever I get the TTS (if I decide to go with clear brake lights). It's a little ironic doing plastidip on cars like these but whatever. No one is the wiser and, like you said, if you f*** it up, you can always peel the stuff off. The Bumperplugs version doesn't quite match good enough based on the pics I've seen.
Thank you. It was an expensive trial and error. But Ive since sold the red bar light to recoup some of that money back. And yes, the 3M satin black vinyl does match pretty good. Id have to agree with you that the bumperplugs ones do not match as well. I suggest you try the 3M vinyl. I just a 1x5' roll for like 16 bucks. I cut a piece about the size of the reflector and stuck it on at one end and slowly laid it down across the light. I used a heat gun to kill wrinkles and make it tight around the edges. All while they were on the car. The only scary part was using an exacto knife around the edge of the reflectors. But there is more than enough gap for the razor to not touch the paint or plastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
mdrobc1213 (01-19-2021), rk-d (01-17-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 03:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Thank you. It was an expensive trial and error. But Ive since sold the red bar light to recoup some of that money back. And yes, the 3M satin black vinyl does match pretty good. Id have to agree with you that the bumperplugs ones do not match as well. I suggest you try the 3M vinyl. I just a 1x5' roll for like 16 bucks. I cut a piece about the size of the reflector and stuck it on at one end and slowly laid it down across the light. I used a heat gun to kill wrinkles and make it tight around the edges. All while they were on the car. The only scary part was using an exacto knife around the edge of the reflectors. But there is more than enough gap for the razor to not touch the paint or plastic.
Sounds like your new side hustle BIGWORM....way to recoup the cost of the ones you had to replace, your SOUL cats, and other mods! See satin wrapped rear reflectors to the masses!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:28 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

Has anybody done this on a Sport Design rear fascia and cost post a picture? With the body colour “shark fin “ against the OEM satin black of the rear fascia, I am unsure if the black or body colour reflector is actually an improvement over the red. I have used Bumperplug body colour reflectors on my TTS before and it looked great but these fins really are different.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:18 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Curious if the folks who did this successfully did so in warmer temperatures? It’s freezing in Dallas right now and I’m not sure I want to try to pop the pieces off, but thinking when it warms up it might be a lot easier?
Old 02-13-2021, 07:03 PM
Biersmith
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

HaHa! I love my Montage pimp slippers! I got these while at the Montage in South Caroline this past August. That place is beyond words beautiful.
Can't wait to see your driving gloves.....
Old 02-13-2021, 09:40 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Will consider doing what I did on my Touaregs. Pry them out and insert a string of red LEDs and tie them in to the brake lights. See below

siberian

Old 02-13-2021, 11:01 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Curious if the folks who did this successfully did so in warmer temperatures? It’s freezing in Dallas right now and I’m not sure I want to try to pop the pieces off, but thinking when it warms up it might be a lot easier?
Yeah no joke it is cold. Pipes in my shed burst today.

Quick Reply: 992 Rear Reflector Removal