Sponsored by:

992 Rear Reflector Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 12:45 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
I haven’t pulled my stock ones yet since my car is still being built but as you can see those hard plastic clips are only designed to slip in one way.... pulling against them is not likely the way Porsche recommends removal.

The front ambers were designed for easy removal with a metal/tapered clip.

Pic for comparison:

It’s obviously possible... but I am planning an exhaust tip switch that requires bumper removal so I will tackle mine then.

Good Luck!
Thank you very much. Yeah I think I'll pass. That looks like it would break. Or would break on ME and Id be up **** creek looking for a quick replacement. I thought about wrapping mine on the car, but using a blade around the edges makes me nervous. I dont see how you CANT scratch the inner paint doing that. Sure you wont see it, but my OCD will know and haunt me about it...lol.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Thank you gentlemen. I tried pulling on mine but they did not give much so I gave up. I did find this picture online. Richard did yours look like this on the backside?

Yep that is what mine looked like. Bumperplugs has pics I think as well. I can grab my old ones and snap some pictures. They come out really easy, honestly - just a little force and they pop out kindof in a line. I didn't use tape on the paint or anything - it was really just like the front indicator (amber) lights from an ease of removal.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:49 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you very much. Yeah I think I'll pass. That looks like it would break. Or would break on ME and Id be up **** creek looking for a quick replacement. I thought about wrapping mine on the car, but using a blade around the edges makes me nervous. I dont see how you CANT scratch the inner paint doing that. Sure you wont see it, but my OCD will know and haunt me about it...lol.
I think the reflectors are less than $40 bucks a piece... if you break the original one the bits and pieces will probably just fall into the rear bumper and shake out.

I would be more afraid of widening the the diffuser plastic slots on the way out.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:44 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Yep that is what mine looked like. Bumperplugs has pics I think as well. I can grab my old ones and snap some pictures. They come out really easy, honestly - just a little force and they pop out kindof in a line. I didn't use tape on the paint or anything - it was really just like the front indicator (amber) lights from an ease of removal.

Thank you. Mine will not budge. Ive tried pushing on the license side, pulling on the wheel side. I've tried using my pry tool about where the clips are. I can get the middle to bow out, but they are making cracking noises. Mine appear to be stuck. I did my front led and those I can remove with one hand in 5 seconds. But I cant get these to break loose. Oh well. Its cool. I appreciate your help and advice.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:45 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
I think the reflectors are less than $40 bucks a piece... if you break the original one the bits and pieces will probably just fall into the rear bumper and shake out.

I would be more afraid of widening the the diffuser plastic slots on the way out.
Im ok breaking them, if I could quickly get a new set from my dealer. But they dont have them in stock and I'm not risking it.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:49 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Im ok breaking them, if I could quickly get a new set from my dealer. But they dont have them in stock and I'm not risking it.
I have my originals I could fedex to you (all you have to do is pay for shipping) - go for it.
The following users liked this post:
BIGWORM (01-07-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:23 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Well ****. I got a snap out in the middle. I keep holding it from reattaching itselft and SNAP. The reflector came off in 3pcs. The BASE of the red reflector STAYED. But the top clear red part flung off into 3pcs. And now that mine is ruined, I tried to pull the backing that is still attached off and it WONT come out. Im not listening to you guys anymore..lol.
Yojeffo (06-02-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:56 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Well ****. I got a snap out in the middle. I keep holding it from reattaching itselft and SNAP. The reflector came off in 3pcs. The BASE of the red reflector STAYED. But the top clear red part flung off into 3pcs. And now that mine is ruined, I tried to pull the backing that is still attached off and it WONT come out. Im not listening to you guys anymore..lol.
You are not supposed to use a sledge hammer :-O

Send me your address and I will send you a new pair as promised. Just be careful not to break them when getting them out of the box I send them to you tomorrow...

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 01-08-2021 at 02:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
Kansas32 (12-07-2023), ryanlsmith (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:56 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Oooof! That sucks. Sorry to hear. Good thing Richard has some spares for you.

That made my decision to paint them on the bumper much easier, just tape up well, light sand - prime - color - clear. That's now my plan.

I like having the paint around, if I prang my front spoiler lip, its pretty easy to sand it down to smooth and then rattle can it the color of the car. I've done that regularly on my other cars.

Last edited by drcollie; 01-08-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:03 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Is that a standard black paint or a translucent tint? I suppose the latter might retain some degree of reflection, but not sure that matters?
Old 01-08-2021, 03:07 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
You are not supposed to use a sledge hammer :-O

Send me your address and I will send you a new pair as promised. Just be careful not to break them when getting them out of the box I send them to you tomorrow...

I just used my pry tool. I felt one part snap out and as I held it from snapping back in, the other side just snapped in half. And getting the base part out was a huge PITA. Mine damaged my bumper holes on the way out. The two "T" section clips totally need to be squeezed from the back side IMO. Oh well. Lesson learned. And thank you for the offer, but I ordered a set from the dealer. I should have them Tuesday.

EDIT:

Did what I could to get me by until Tuesday...

Last edited by BIGWORM; 01-08-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:21 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
Is that a standard black paint or a translucent tint? I suppose the latter might retain some degree of reflection, but not sure that matters?
It's Jet Black Metallic paint, same as my car.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:07 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Well that was an expensive trial. I thought I liked all red tail lights more than the clears my car came with. So I ordered them in red only to find out I liked the clear look more. The red reflectors at the bottom just didn't match the clear tails very well. They where an eye sore to me. So I ordered some 3M brand Satin black wrap and I think it matches the factory plastic pretty good. It only cost me 16 bucks and it was pretty easy to wrap them. Which I have never done. I should have just wrapped these from the start and not ordered the red lights. Because I cant return the red lights. No returns allowed on electrical stuff. So I basically paid 1K to get black reflectors...LMAO. Oh well. Live and learn.

atl1glf (01-16-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 03:36 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks great! I was going to ask to buy your clears
The following 2 users liked this post by BlitzedTT:
BIGWORM (01-15-2021), Schwarz992C4S (01-17-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 03:43 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Cute Driving Shoes!
Biersmith (02-13-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 Rear Reflector Removal