Sponsored by:

SPASM on back roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 07:08 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts
Default SPASM on back roads

I'm a month away from being locked, and still pondering whether SPASM is a good idea. For those that have it, do you think you could discern the difference between SPASM and PASM when driving at moderate speeds on country roads? I'm fairly sure SPASM would be clearly better for the track (or driving at 9/10ths on public roads, which I never do), but the question is whether the car feels tighter and crisper on the twisties at speeds below 60 mph. All the discussion on the forum has me convinced that SPASM would not be punishingly harsh in normal driving, but if you can't feel it at legal speeds, I don't see the point in it. Feedback appreciated.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:54 PM
HJ951
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 44 Posts

I can’t speak to the PASM. I have SPASM and about 600 miles on my car, almost all backroads. I don’t feel SPASM is harsh and I like it. However, there is a section of road I drive that needs repaving IMHO. That part of road is bumpy in a softly sprung SUV. No fun at all with my suspension but about the same as my previous BMW.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:00 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by HJ951
I can’t speak to the PASM. I have SPASM and about 600 miles on my car, almost all backroads. I don’t feel SPASM is harsh and I like it. However, there is a section of road I drive that needs repaving IMHO. That part of road is bumpy in a softly sprung SUV. No fun at all with my suspension but about the same as my previous BMW.
I had similar experiences in my PASM (non-SPASM) 997; on one particular section of freeway the car rode better with the shocks set in sport mode because the surface was undulating in short frequencies and in normal mode the shocks couldn't control rebound before the next compression stroke.

On the track last week my SPASM 992 felt soft, if it was a track car it would have benefited from both stiffer spring and shock rates.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:04 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I'm a month away from being locked, and still pondering whether SPASM is a good idea. For those that have it, do you think you could discern the difference between SPASM and PASM when driving at moderate speeds on country roads? I'm fairly sure SPASM would be clearly better for the track (or driving at 9/10ths on public roads, which I never do), but the question is whether the car feels tighter and crisper on the twisties at speeds below 60 mph. All the discussion on the forum has me convinced that SPASM would not be punishingly harsh in normal driving, but if you can't feel it at legal speeds, I don't see the point in it. Feedback appreciated.

Yes, SPASM is worth it for country roads.
The following users liked this post:
Zanotti (12-14-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 03:32 PM
FlxJet
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont forget the front lip and the way -10mm suits the wheels perfectly to my opinion.
it gives a big + on how the car is looking when fitted with SPASM.
didnt want to check the spasm box being concerned about confort,
but in the end u buy a 911...not a cayenne.
go spasm
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (12-14-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 03:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Maybe the demographics for the 911 has changed for the 992 generation but I seriously do not recall this much consternation and angst between PASM and SPASM in the 991 generation.

I guess Father Time catches up to us all.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (12-13-2020), detansinn (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:51 PM
John_992
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I struggled with this as well and ended up with PASM. My C2S was built as a daily driver and I felt a bit more ground clearance would be helpful in daily life and I didn’t want to deal with FAL. I have 3k miles on the car and it handles great and almost no scraping on driveways so I’m happy with my decision. It was especially hard since SPASM is something like free with the sport package vs adding sport chrono and sport exhaust individually.

These forums distracted me as I obsessed over the spec but I can assure you that a 911 with PASM is not at all a Cayenne! I’m very happy that I was honest about my use for the car as the comfort and normal car ground clearance are enjoyed every day while I’m still waiting for a corner that I need SPASM to get around at more-than-2x legal speeds.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:57 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by FlxJet
Dont forget the front lip and the way -10mm suits the wheels perfectly to my opinion.
it gives a big + on how the car is looking when fitted with SPASM.
didnt want to check the spasm box being concerned about confort,
but in the end u buy a 911...not a cayenne.
go spasm
+1

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Maybe the demographics for the 911 has changed for the 992 generation but I seriously do not recall this much consternation and angst between PASM and SPASM in the 991 generation.

I guess Father Time catches up to us all.
+1

Quick Reply: SPASM on back roads