Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temporary PPF? - Driving New Car Home

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 447 Posts

I'm planning to make the drive from PEC-ATL back to Sarasota, FL which is about 500 highway miles without ppf and then getting it installed locally. Leaving at 6pm after afternoon delivery so I figure traffic will ease up and be minimal as I drive late Wednesday night. No tailgating and I should be fine. Not too worried about it. Put PPF on my last BMW at 9000 miles and even without pain correction it looked fine.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:03 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenj24k
i would say it's totally unnecessary. a good installer is going to make sure your paint is perfect before wrapping. if you want to be extra careful, take back roads, drive slowly, and steer away from the obvious offenders.
just make sure the hips and rockers are protected. I had to change my film after 5000km completely pitted. some even hit above the film guard. But if you drive slow and the roads are clean you should be ok.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:55 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
You might have hit onto a new idea now that Miami blue has been retired
Newest Porsche paint to sample color: 3M semi-blue
Old 04-04-2021, 01:45 PM
DaisyDee
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I'm planning to make the drive from PEC-ATL back to Sarasota, FL which is about 500 highway miles without ppf and then getting it installed locally. Leaving at 6pm after afternoon delivery so I figure traffic will ease up and be minimal as I drive late Wednesday night. No tailgating and I should be fine. Not too worried about it. Put PPF on my last BMW at 9000 miles and even without pain correction it looked fine.
This is from last year but wondering how you made out with your drive? I am planning on doing PEC Atlanta and live on the West Coast of Florida also. I'm just concerned about doing the drive without ppf.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:50 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaisyDee
This is from last year but wondering how you made out with your drive? I am planning on doing PEC Atlanta and live on the West Coast of Florida also. I'm just concerned about doing the drive without ppf.
My PPF dealer gave me enough Xpel TracWrap to do the front of the car. Cuts easily with a scissors and it’s peel and stick. Despite hearing stones bouncing off the car constantly, I had 0 paint chips after a 500 mile drive. It worked well. Took my wife and I 40 mins to apply at the end of the day when they have your car sitting out in the garage under the PEC sign.

The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 02:05 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 762 Likes on 431 Posts

Just get a AAA premier membership and have it towed to your detailer. Tell the dealer to keep whatever protective film is on the hood before delivery.
reyesanders (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 08:02 PM
DaisyDee
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PPF dealer gave me enough Xpel TracWrap to do the front of the car. Cuts easily with a scissors and it’s peel and stick. Despite hearing stones bouncing off the car constantly, I had 0 paint chips after a 500 mile drive. It worked well. Took my wife and I 40 mins to apply at the end of the day when they have your car sitting out in the garage under the PEC sign.

Thanks! Will do that so can enjoy the ride back without worries. I was wondering how ‘pro’ the temp job had to look... thanks for the pictures, I feel better knowing it doesn’t have to look perfect
Old 04-04-2021, 10:22 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaisyDee
Thanks! Will do that so can enjoy the ride back without worries. I was wondering how ‘pro’ the temp job had to look... thanks for the pictures, I feel better knowing it doesn’t have to look perfect
You can make it look better if you take your time but at 7pm with a 7hr drive to go, I just wanted the film on so I could hit the road.
DaisyDee (04-04-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 12:46 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

I think my grandmother wants her plastic vinyl couch cover back.
Master Deep (04-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Temporary PPF? - Driving New Car Home