Sponsored by:

Ranking these options - Best Two out of the four

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 02:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Well, to be fair, that's 1-2% discount on the total price of the car (i.e., price of the full leather included).

But, yes, worrying about 1-2% discount on a car that's approx. 150K (or about $1500) in the grand scheme of things seems rather penny wise and pound retarded. Especially if dickering over that additional 1-2% discount means waiting X more months for your car.

Because, after all, you can always make more money. Time? Not so much.
Wonder how many threads we have in Rennlist on 'best discounts' or similar...I'm with you, if we're talking 10% vs. 15% then sure it's worth the haggle but waiting an extra few months or dealing with someone across the country to score a few bucks off makes no sense to me.

On the leather thing, each their own of course. Its all just opinions, the standard interior is fine for me and for me I find that dash top airbag cut-out (in full leather) more annoying.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:02 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Here's the thing about "full" leather.

Every time you get in the car you are going to notice it.

All the touch points, the smell, the feel, the look.

If you care about leather, and how you the car makes you feel from a sensory "touch" perspective, full leather is almost a must-get. Ceteris paribus.

If you don't, well, then my apologies and you've just wasted 30 seconds of your life reading my rambling.
That's okay. Every time I get in the car, all I notice is the feeling of the steering wheel, the movement of the shifter and the sound of the engine. I wanted a sports car, not a mobile interior decorator experiment.

Luckily, people can choose either/both.
The following users liked this post:
RD16RR (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 04:52 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

I was intent on making a drivers car. Went with the C2, threw in SC and PSE and SSP (4 ways). Due to cold NJ days went with a heated GT steering wheel and because idiots at dusk often drive with lights off threw in LCA. That was it - a true drivers spec. In my boxster had standard interior and never felt it needed leather.

4 hours prior to build freeze I go to the dealer to check out the GT steering wheel just to make sure it was not too thick. The only 911 he had has full leather. Got into the car and saw the leather and stitching on the dash and the side doors and it looked so stylish and so cool and there and then went in and added partial leather as the only (in MY opinion) frivolous option in my otherwise perfect drivers car. (it was a $2400 option - actually 2800 but the price of my seat came down $400) My car is still a drivers car and I avoided all other options t hat I felt would detract but I know that staring at the leather dash as I sit at a red light and looking at the leather door top every time i open the door is going to make it that much more special for ME and so for a $2500 fluff purchase I am happy I did i

There is a saying: about taste there is no discussion. one of the amazing things about Porsche is the ability to truly make it yours. What is my necessity is someone else luxury and someone elses totally unecessary option.

The following 4 users liked this post by craig66:
aggie57 (11-23-2020), dribar (11-25-2020), gravedgr (11-23-2020), Russian Mafia (11-29-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 04:58 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
I was intent on making a drivers car. Went with the C2, threw in SC and PSE and SSP (4 ways). Due to cold NJ days went with a heated GT steering wheel and because idiots at dusk often drive with lights off threw in LCA. That was it - a true drivers spec. In my boxster had standard interior and never felt it needed leather.

4 hours prior to build freeze I go to the dealer to check out the GT steering wheel just to make sure it was not too thick. The only 911 he had has full leather. Got into the car and saw the leather and stitching on the dash and the side doors and it looked so stylish and so cool and there and then went in and added partial leather as the only (in MY opinion) frivolous option in my otherwise perfect drivers car. (it was a $2400 option - actually 2800 but the price of my seat came down $400) My car is still a drivers car and I avoided all other options t hat I felt would detract but I know that staring at the leather dash as I sit at a red light and looking at the leather door top every time i open the door is going to make it that much more special for ME and so for a $2500 fluff purchase I am happy I did i

There is a saying: about taste there is no discussion. one of the amazing things about Porsche is the ability to truly make it yours. What is my necessity is someone else luxury and someone elses totally unecessary option.
Yep, that is YOUR driver's spec...to me a true driver's car has to have a stick...
txpackers (11-24-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:04 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Actually you made me look after your post because I never considered a non S...and its standard interior is pretty much all plastic/vinyl...my post above showed S standard interior which has some leather.

NON S standard:

In Embossed Leather:
  • Front seats
  • Rear seats
  • Rear seat center tunnel
In Smooth-Finish Leather:
  • Steering wheel rim
  • Door panel armrests
  • Center console lid

Last edited by gohawks23; 11-23-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:22 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
On the leather thing, each their own of course. Its all just opinions, the standard interior is fine for me and for me I find that dash top airbag cut-out (in full leather) more annoying.
Does the standard interior not have a cut-out for the air bag? TBH, I had to go look at my C2S with full leather to check this out--hardly looks out of place with all of those dash-top air vents. Do those not bother you?
Old 11-23-2020, 05:28 PM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Yep, that is YOUR driver's spec...to me a true driver's car has to have a stick...
mine has a stick, in the face of progress however they made the logical decision to move it around the steering wheel and called it paddles.

shift into manual mode and I have all the control that you have with your, how did you call it, umm umm oh that’s right - stick

The only thing I don’t have to do is push in the clutch and rev match. Oh that’s right, silly me you don’t get to Rev match either any more. 😜
Russian Mafia (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:35 PM
craig66
Pro

Actually you made me look after your post because I never considered a non S...and its standard interior is pretty much all plastic/vinyl...my post above showed S standard interior which has some leather.

NON S standard:

In Embossed Leather:
  • Front seats
  • Rear seats
  • Steering wheel rim
  • Door panel armrests
  • Center console lid
The only difference between the leather in the base and the S is that the S has side bolsters and headrest in embossed leather and the base has the side bolsters and headrest in smooth finish leather. Otherwise the leather/plastic in the base and S is identical.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:43 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

mine has a stick, in the face of progress however they made the logical decision to move it around the steering wheel and called it paddles.

shift into manual mode and I have all the control that you have with your, how did you call it, umm umm oh that’s right - stick

The only thing I don’t have to do is push in the clutch and rev match. Oh that’s right, silly me you don’t get to Rev match either any more. 😜
Haha! Whatever you have to say to convince self...
Old 11-23-2020, 05:55 PM
craig66
Pro

Haha! Whatever you have to say to convince self...
i don’t have to convince myself. I drive stick well but I went PDK and have never looked back. I love the versatility my PDK offers and would never go back to stick for the driving I do.

Actually sometime I think it is the stick drivers on Rennlist who seem to think that all non stick drivers are having a subpar experience and some how their Porsche experience is the only true Porsche experience. We all love our cars for all our own reasons. I have a C2 in PDK. It is a drivers car and for me that’s all that matters.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:56 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

The only difference between the leather in the base and the S is that the S has side bolsters and headrest in embossed leather and the base has the side bolsters and headrest in smooth finish leather. Otherwise the leather/plastic in the base and S is identical.
Wrong. 'Embossed leather' is a nice name for leatherette/vinyl/man made/etc.

Base standard interior has full 'embossed leather' (vinyl) front/rear seats and rear seat center tunnel...real leather in that interior is only on steering rim, door panel armrests and center console lid.
EDIT: UNLESS you get SS+ seats then you get full leather seats...standard with leather package gets you front, upper dash/door panels, steering rim, armrests, center lid...you really have to read all the info in the 'i' on configurator!

S standard interior is vinyl on front bolsters/headrests, rear seats and center tunnel...real leather on front seat centers, steering rim, door panel armrests and center console lid.

Both have the plastic dash and plastic upper sections of door/rear side panels.

Last edited by gohawks23; 11-23-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:08 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Does the standard interior not have a cut-out for the air bag? TBH, I had to go look at my C2S with full leather to check this out--hardly looks out of place with all of those dash-top air vents. Do those not bother you?
Nope, nice smooth dash top. But regardless, its all personal likes/opinion/whatever. I also happen to like white cars but that doesn't mean someone who wants yellow is wrong.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:16 PM
craig66
Pro

Wrong. 'Embossed leather' is a nice name for leatherette/vinyl/man made/etc.

Base standard interior has full 'embossed leather' (vinyl) front/rear seats and rear seat center tunnel...real leather in that interior is only on steering rim, door panel armrests and center console lid.
EDIT: UNLESS you get SS+ seats then you get full leather seats...standard with leather package gets you front, upper dash/door panels, steering rim, armrests, center lid...you really have read all the info in the 'i' on configurator!

S standard interior is vinyl on front bolsters/headrests, rear seats and center tunnel...real leather on front seat centers, steering rim, door panel armrests and center console lid.

Both have the plastic dash and plastic upper sections of door/rear side panels.
From the Configurator

C2:
In Embossed Leather:
  • Front seats
  • Rear seats
  • Steering wheel rim
  • Door panel armrests
  • Center console lid

For the C2S
In Embossed Leather:
  • Front seat side bolsters and headrests
  • Rear seats
  • Front seat centers
  • Steering wheel rim
  • Door panel armrests
  • Center console lid

So I stand corrected but the only difference between the C2 and C2S is the leather seat centers in the C2S which are leatherette in the C2 but all other interior components are absolutely identical. If you get the SS+ in both then it is absolutely identical which makes sense as the SS+ are 800 in the base and 400 in the S as in the S the centers were already going to be leather.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:39 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Leather
PSE
!4/18
SPASM

The only thing I would have changed on the car I ordered in '19 was to get Club leather, they had a dark brown leather option that looked great. Got the 14 and PSE (PSE came with the Sport Package).

Didn't want the car lowered past the standard PASM so that's last.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:51 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

In the exact order you have.

I would get the SPASM and Leather Interior before I optioned the other two options.
This is the correct answer for me.

SPASM is definitely a real benefit on canyon backroads. I’ve driven 992 with and without quite a bit now. SPASM is more settled and confidence building. I travel faster and at higher G with. SPASM in the 992 is also much more accommodating than SPASM in 991 - it’s entirely liveable with. Nothing to fear unless you have high driveway curbs.

I specified the club leather on my build. It’s very nice but a full leather black interior would be just as pleasing. That’s mostly because the club leather is pasted directly onto hard surfaces (unlike the Panamera) so you don’t get a particular sensation of soft semi-analine. It certainly does not touch my S-Class or Range Rover leathers, both of which feel as soft as chamois.

I also have the PSE but wish I did not. The four pipe sounds better/authentic (IMO) even with euro-petrol-particulate-filters.
TimD (11-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Ranking these options - Best Two out of the four