Sponsored by:

Number of Audio Files

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts
Default Number of Audio Files

I believe/I hope to pick up my 2021 C2S within the week and I'd like to have my audio files set up before I get to the car. I have several vehicles with various audio file handling capabilities. Rather than trying to figure this out "Hunt & Peck" style, I'm hoping some kind soul can clarify the system on our 992's.

The Owner’s Manual says; "Number of files USB mass storage and memory cards max. 10,000 files per medium, max. 1,000 files per directory/playback list"

So my questions are these three:

1.) What does Porsche mean by "directory/playback list"? In a Windows OS (as opposed to DOS) a "Directory" and a "File Folder" are separate concepts.

2.) Using Windows OS descriptions: Can I simply place all of my 5,000+ Audio Files in the Root Directory of an SD Card, or USB Stick without any File Folders. -OR- MUST I create separate File Folders to prevent any one File Folder from exceeding the 1,000 File limit Porsche states.

3.) If I do create multiple File Folders, does the PCM recognize them and provide a logical GUI for user navigation?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Owners Manual Audio Files.pdf (34.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 11-16-2020, 02:44 AM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

If there is a jukebox/internal storage I either don't have it or have yet to find it.

I use a SD card to save mp3 audio on and keep it in my SD slot In the armrest.

The car also can play back songs stored on your cell phone.

​​​​​​Probably not the answer you are looking for.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:46 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Thanks ChalkThe911. How do you have your audio files stored on your SD Card?
Old 11-16-2020, 02:47 AM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Thanks ChalkThe911. How do you have your audio files stored on your SD Card?
They are saved as mp3.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:52 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
They are saved as mp3.
I'm guessing you don't have separate File Folders. Ex: Rock&Roll, Blues, Country, Classical, etc. -OR- by Artist.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:11 AM
DONUT77
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi OP
I have a 992s and have put around 390GB of music on a USB Flash Drive. All from iTunes ripped in lossless ALAC. All artwork and genres intact no problem. I did read in the manual that the SD card had limitations so thought I would try the flash drive instead. I have used a tiny 512GB Sandisk ultra which barely protrudes from the port. The only thing I have not pulled off is playlists which I cannot seem to get the PCM to recognise despite extensive research. Still working on that.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:57 AM
ChalkThe911
Racer

I'm guessing you don't have separate File Folders. Ex: Rock&Roll, Blues, Country, Classical, etc. -OR- by Artist.
Unfortunately not. Just alphabetical.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (11-16-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:07 PM
Vsapra
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DONUT77
Hi OP
I have a 992s and have put around 390GB of music on a USB Flash Drive. All from iTunes ripped in lossless ALAC. All artwork and genres intact no problem. I did read in the manual that the SD card had limitations so thought I would try the flash drive instead. I have used a tiny 512GB Sandisk ultra which barely protrudes from the port. The only thing I have not pulled off is playlists which I cannot seem to get the PCM to recognise despite extensive research. Still working on that.
any special way you copied your iTunes library over from your PC? I have about 85gb of music and was considering a 128gb SD card - what is the best card format and which files /directories would you recommend copying over?
Old 12-07-2020, 09:40 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe/I hope to pick up my 2021 C2S within the week and I'd like to have my audio files set up before I get to the car. I have several vehicles with various audio file handling capabilities. Rather than trying to figure this out "Hunt & Peck" style, I'm hoping some kind soul can clarify the system on our 992's.

The Owner’s Manual says; "Number of files USB mass storage and memory cards max. 10,000 files per medium, max. 1,000 files per directory/playback list"

So my questions are these three:

1.) What does Porsche mean by "directory/playback list"? In a Windows OS (as opposed to DOS) a "Directory" and a "File Folder" are separate concepts.

2.) Using Windows OS descriptions: Can I simply place all of my 5,000+ Audio Files in the Root Directory of an SD Card, or USB Stick without any File Folders. -OR- MUST I create separate File Folders to prevent any one File Folder from exceeding the 1,000 File limit Porsche states.

3.) If I do create multiple File Folders, does the PCM recognize them and provide a logical GUI for user navigation?
have you figured out the answer to your questions?

My prior M5 you can store mp3s on a USB but the interface was only able to pull 1000 files at a time, maybe this is the same on the PCM. However, you can create a number of directories and subfolders to bypass this limit.

I have switched all my files over to .flac and am curious to know if the PCM has a native .flac player (i assume it does based on your attachment).
Old 12-07-2020, 01:18 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Help with M3U playlists

Originally Posted by DONUT77
The only thing I have not pulled off is playlists which I cannot seem to get the PCM to recognise despite extensive research. Still working on that.
My music is on an SD card and I have a working iTunes playlist (M3U) in the PCM. I prefer using an SD card so I can reserve the 2 USB ports for my wireless charging pad and possible need for wired CarPlay. My music is organized into top-level folders by ARTIST, each artist folder contains a list of folders by ALBUM, and each album folder contains a set of TRACK files. I believe this is the standard iTiunes filesystem arrangement.

To make the M3U playlist file work in the PCM I opened the playlist file in a text editor and changed all the file paths to be relative to the SD card (i.e., remove the front of each track's file path so it begins with ALBUM\ instead of C:\ITUNES\ALBUM\ (use find-and-replace). This seems to make the M3U playlist work in the PCM.

For example, the top of the playlist file looks like:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:232,Dancing Queen - Abba
Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\01 Dancing Queen.mp3
#EXTINF:242,Knowing Me, Knowing You - Abba
Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\02 Knowing Me, Knowing You.mp3
But was previously saved by iTunes like this:
#EXTM3U
M:\iTunes Music\Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\01 Dancing Queen.mp3
M:\iTunes Music\Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\02 Knowing Me, Knowing You.mp3

The following 2 users liked this post by mikey94025:
Bluehighways (12-07-2020), stevepow (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:50 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

The PCM's Media SD/USB music playing interface isn't great and very basic but you can navigate alphabetically and can probably search (but I haven't tried it). I don't have as much music as you so I can't answer the 1000 limit. Here's what my SD card music looks like for each of Folders / Artists / Albums / Genres / Tracks. Please don't laugh at my music collection - It's just every CD I owned back then... :-)

Folders

Artists

Albums

Genres

Tracks
Bluehighways (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
The PCM's Media SD/USB music playing interface isn't great and very basic but you can navigate alphabetically and can probably search (but I haven't tried it). I don't have as much music as you so I can't answer the 1000 limit. Here's what my SD card music looks like for each of Folders / Artists / Albums / Genres / Tracks. Please don't laugh at my music collection - It's just every CD I owned back then... :-)
Perfect! That answers my question about folders! Thank You!
Old 12-07-2020, 04:48 PM
DONUT77
6th Gear

I just dragged and dropped the music folder from the iTunes library on Mac. I would have not have thought its materially different on a PC. 128SD card will work fine. - i know that as I put the SD card from my outgoing cayenne in the 992 and it worked. Sorry if you do not use ITunes as I have not really stored car music any other way.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:57 PM
DONUT77
6th Gear

My music is on an SD card and I have a working iTunes playlist (M3U) in the PCM. I prefer using an SD card so I can reserve the 2 USB ports for my wireless charging pad and possible need for wired CarPlay. My music is organized into top-level folders by ARTIST, each artist folder contains a list of folders by ALBUM, and each album folder contains a set of TRACK files. I believe this is the standard iTiunes filesystem arrangement.

To make the M3U playlist file work in the PCM I opened the playlist file in a text editor and changed all the file paths to be relative to the SD card (i.e., remove the front of each track's file path so it begins with ALBUM\ instead of C:\ITUNES\ALBUM\ (use find-and-replace). This seems to make the M3U playlist work in the PCM.

For example, the top of the playlist file looks like:
#EXTM3U
Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\01 Dancing Queen.mp3
Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\02 Knowing Me, Knowing You.mp3
But was previously saved by iTunes like this:
#EXTM3U
M:\iTunes Music\Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\01 Dancing Queen.mp3
M:\iTunes Music\Abba\Gold_ Greatest Hits\02 Knowing Me, Knowing You.mp3

thank you for this - I will check this out
Mikster (11-10-2021)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Vsapra
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you copy the entire "Music" folder or just the "iTunes Music" and subdirectories over to the root of the SD card?

Quick Reply: Number of Audio Files