Sponsored by:

Getting back into the Game with Targa 4s

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 01:35 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Getting back into the Game with Targa 4s

Just had to post since I am pretty excited that I put a deposit down today on 2021 Targa 4s. Last P-car was 2006 4sCab. Been over two years since that left and just had to get back into the game. Dealer did not have current allocation; however, estimated delivery in middle of June 2021. Waiting/ configuring/ changing is half the fun anyway. Driving is of course the ultimate reward.

Here is the build:PM2JIN32
The following 4 users liked this post by becauseitis:
jw72 (11-11-2020), markanth (11-11-2020), RolandT (11-11-2020), WhitBroo (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 02:08 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

I was just thinking of starting a similar thread although I’m one step behind you...still debating about putting the deposit down to secure the next allocation. I absolutely love my current car, 2011 Turbo S, but the new Targa has me wanting to make a move again sooner than expected.

My Porsche journey started with a white 78 SC Targa. I went a long time without one before buying a white 87 turbo-look Cabriolet. Then moved to the 2016 Targa GTS in Carmine red which I never should have sold. Last year I wanted back in and needed to check the real Turbo checkbox and bought a black 2011 997.2 Turbo S. Spectacular car that I should keep and enjoy if I was smart. History says that I’m not.

As much as I love the raw power and small size of the Turbo, I think the Targa still has my heart so the only question is do I get the 4S or wait for the GTS.

I like your build. Chalk is a great color and I like it paired with your two tone interior and the the silver wheels with silver roll bar. Modern look but it feels timeless...you won’t get tired of looking at it in a year. You have shown great restraint when it comes to checking extras...I need to learn from you there.

Here is my latest built, I’m trying to stay under $175k. PM5CGEJ0 .

I have to go white...should have done that with my 2016. I’m a sucker for white 911s. I have the PCCBs on my Turbo and I love them. Had to check that box. I also want the rear wheel steering just for the freaking cool factor. I had PDCC on my 2016 but don’t feel it is mandatory on the car. Plenty comfortable enough and it isn’t a track car. I checked the FAL box in case I want to lower the car and because my damn Turbo scrapes every time I pull into my garage. I’ve replaced enough front chin spoilers to want the damn lift button whether I need it or not

Congratulations on taking the next step to getting an incredible car and I hope to be right behind you! Maybe I’ll win the PCA raffle and be able to keep the Turbo!

Cheers,
Jeff
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
BigLoue (11-11-2020), WhitBroo (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 02:46 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Thanks Jeff. Love that build of yours. I have just found that some of the extras are really extras that I really don't care about over time.

John
Old 11-11-2020, 03:00 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

So true. It’s easy to get lost in the configurator and forget to measure everything against the long term enjoyment it will bring. I tend to use the regret minimization approach but I’m struggling with a few areas like wheel choice and some interior bits but narrowing it all down.

Are you feeling locked or are you still debating some choices?
Old 11-11-2020, 03:47 AM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts

You may want to review and add to:

992 targa allocations and build advice

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1203...ld-advice.html

Last edited by brucewinter; 11-11-2020 at 03:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:28 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I hadn't come across that thread yet.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:46 PM
BigLoue
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I was just thinking of starting a similar thread although I’m one step behind you...still debating about putting the deposit down to secure the next allocation. I absolutely love my current car, 2011 Turbo S, but the new Targa has me wanting to make a move again sooner than expected.

My Porsche journey started with a white 78 SC Targa. I went a long time without one before buying a white 87 turbo-look Cabriolet. Then moved to the 2016 Targa GTS in Carmine red which I never should have sold. Last year I wanted back in and needed to check the real Turbo checkbox and bought a black 2011 997.2 Turbo S. Spectacular car that I should keep and enjoy if I was smart. History says that I’m not.

As much as I love the raw power and small size of the Turbo, I think the Targa still has my heart so the only question is do I get the 4S or wait for the GTS.

I like your build. Chalk is a great color and I like it paired with your two tone interior and the the silver wheels with silver roll bar. Modern look but it feels timeless...you won’t get tired of looking at it in a year. You have shown great restraint when it comes to checking extras...I need to learn from you there.

Here is my latest built, I’m trying to stay under $175k. PM5CGEJ0 .

I have to go white...should have done that with my 2016. I’m a sucker for white 911s. I have the PCCBs on my Turbo and I love them. Had to check that box. I also want the rear wheel steering just for the freaking cool factor. I had PDCC on my 2016 but don’t feel it is mandatory on the car. Plenty comfortable enough and it isn’t a track car. I checked the FAL box in case I want to lower the car and because my damn Turbo scrapes every time I pull into my garage. I’ve replaced enough front chin spoilers to want the damn lift button whether I need it or not

Congratulations on taking the next step to getting an incredible car and I hope to be right behind you! Maybe I’ll win the PCA raffle and be able to keep the Turbo!

Cheers,
Jeff
Great build, like the yellow highlights
Old 03-30-2021, 04:45 PM
senseidhg
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

SARGEPUG, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the note and the thumbs up on my humble stable. I also enjoy a '02 BMW M5 DInan that I have had for a while.

Your Targa is a great looking car!! And, your incoming Cayenne GTS is awesome! I have a Macan GTS as a daily driver. I too keep my '11 Targa S Cabrio at my other home in a warmer climate and put the top down almost every time I drive it.

I have searched through a number of forums over the years and have not been active due to heavy business travel. This forum was recommended by the folks at Specialty Car Service in Allentown, PA, where I get my cars cared for. So far the forum has been great! I am enjoying seeing other members' stables of cars. Whew!@!@ there are some pretty awesome stables of cars out there. I am humbled... Other threads for ideas, advice and counsel are great too.

If you get down the Hershey PA area from Metro NYC, for some reason, let me know.

D
Old 03-30-2021, 06:13 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,820 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by becauseitis
Just had to post since I am pretty excited that I put a deposit down today on 2021 Targa 4s. Last P-car was 2006 4sCab. Been over two years since that left and just had to get back into the game. Dealer did not have current allocation; however, estimated delivery in middle of June 2021. Waiting/ configuring/ changing is half the fun anyway. Driving is of course the ultimate reward.

Here is the build:PM2JIN32
1. I think those are the perfect wheels for white or chalk, but I think they look much better if you add the painted in satin black which paints the center and the inner wheel, making it really pop. Make no mistake as I am not a fan of black wheels, this is not a black wheel, it is a two tone wheel that really highlights the design and looks great.

2. I would not go Beige with Chalk. But that's me. I just don't see that combo working well.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:51 PM
becauseitis
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
1. I think those are the perfect wheels for white or chalk, but I think they look much better if you add the painted in satin black which paints the center and the inner wheel, making it really pop. Make no mistake as I am not a fan of black wheels, this is not a black wheel, it is a two tone wheel that really highlights the design and looks great.

2. I would not go Beige with Chalk. But that's me. I just don't see that combo working well.
seriously considering adding the satin black on the wheels and thanks for the comment. Still have another 30 days of option paranoia before the lock. keep going back and forth.

i too am not in love with the beige-chalk but can't do black again, not a fan of red, the green is just too weird and don't want grey with chalk either. Just came down to what was left. did see a chalk car with the beige at the dealer and it doesn't look bad at all. I think it will grow on me and not worried about selling. Current family car- GL450 which is white with beige and i like it.

Quick Reply: Getting back into the Game with Targa 4s