992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020 | 02:31 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

What color do you suspect the matchbox is? Gelbgrun (Yellow Green?)

I think the first thing you have to decide is what is your likely time you'll hold onto it, and then amortize the cost vs happiness

Some PTS colors will fully add to the basis of the car as far as depreciation, while others might not add any more than a "special color" and others might be negative.....so color matters if resale is a concern.

I can't really add much better perspective. I have a PTS car that I bought pre-owned in the exact color I would have ordered, and recently bough a different Porsche pre-owned in a standard color that I thought really suited the car perfectly. Color matters a lot to me, as I find it adds to the ownership experience (to me)...but, regardless of how I feel, not sure they drive any better Both cars I will probably keep for a really long time, but on the PTS car, if I sell and no one likes the color and I get dinged, I'll have no regrets.
Old 11-05-2020 | 03:32 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, exactly what Mark said up above.

You should read through this immense post on the 991 GT3 forum to get a sense of the frustration that you can expect if you go the PTS route.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...de-to-pts.html

Good luck.
I hadn't seen that thread before so thanks!
Old 11-05-2020 | 03:40 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atlrvr
What color do you suspect the matchbox is? Gelbgrun (Yellow Green?)

I think the first thing you have to decide is what is your likely time you'll hold onto it, and then amortize the cost vs happiness

Some PTS colors will fully add to the basis of the car as far as depreciation, while others might not add any more than a "special color" and others might be negative.....so color matters if resale is a concern.

I can't really add much better perspective. I have a PTS car that I bought pre-owned in the exact color I would have ordered, and recently bough a different Porsche pre-owned in a standard color that I thought really suited the car perfectly. Color matters a lot to me, as I find it adds to the ownership experience (to me)...but, regardless of how I feel, not sure they drive any better Both cars I will probably keep for a really long time, but on the PTS car, if I sell and no one likes the color and I get dinged, I'll have no regrets.
I'm not sure about the matchbox car. I'll see if I can match it, but the picture darken it and its pretty close to lizard green IRL.

Your comments are very on-point. Color is very important to me. Uniqueness is somewhat important. I can't stand parking and seeing another car just like mine. My Porsches I customize from the factory to some degree, but every other vehicle has thousands of $ in aftermarket modifications to make them exactly what I want them to be. I'll see my car every day, even if I only get to drive it a couple of times a month. Resale value is pretty inconsequential.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'll have more buyers remorse from a factory color or the extra $11k, haha.

For reference, this is my daily driver.

Last edited by gravedgr; 11-05-2020 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gymdent (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020 | 07:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

As I understand it 'Paint to Sample" is a misnomer. It's really 'paint it any colour you like as long as it's on this pre-approved list", or feel free to ask and then wait an eternity for them to decide if a new colour is acceptable. Least that's my interpretation of others experiences.
Old 11-09-2020 | 02:19 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I noticed on the configurator recently that PTS and Aerokit cannot be selected together. My SA says this typically can't be overturned.

Is anyone aware of a PTS + Aerokit combo previously approved?
Old 11-11-2020 | 03:17 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Confirmed from my SA today: 1) PTS is available with about 50 color choices, adding 45-60 days to the order; 2) PTS is not available in conjunction with the aerokit. I asked him to confirm availability of these colors:

Top two:
Lizard Green / lizardgrün / don't have the color code
Voodoo Blue / voodoo blau / Z12

Backup options:

Lime (Birch) Green / lichgrün / color code 226 (may also be 137, Z29 or 62165)
Birch Green / birkegrün / color code 253
Acid Green / acidgrün / don't have the color code
Old 11-12-2020 | 05:34 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

I'm waiting on an allocation with PTS too so, it'll be good to hear how it goes with you. I started the process of trying to secure a build for a Miami Blue C2S mid August when I figured out they weren't going to continue to offer that color, my dealer secured an alocation by trade in late september (specifically the 24th). I got an invite to Track Your Dream and a commission number but they found out the next day that the last MB car got painted that day (25th) following some discussion we decided to move forward with PTS in a somewhat darker color (Oslo Blue) and we've been waiting since for the dealer to secure and allocation which includes PTS. Long story, sorry.
Karl
Old 11-12-2020 | 05:46 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svkarl
I'm waiting on an allocation with PTS too so, it'll be good to hear how it goes with you. I started the process of trying to secure a build for a Miami Blue C2S mid August when I figured out they weren't going to continue to offer that color, my dealer secured an alocation by trade in late september (specifically the 24th). I got an invite to Track Your Dream and a commission number but they found out the next day that the last MB car got painted that day (25th) following some discussion we decided to move forward with PTS in a somewhat darker color (Oslo Blue) and we've been waiting since for the dealer to secure and allocation which includes PTS. Long story, sorry.
Karl
The color I wanted (lizard green) is not available for the 992. I'm assuming that is the case because it was a 991 color, but it is really confusing since lizard green belts, tach and sport chrono are still in the configurator. So as of now, I'm leaning away from PTS and towards the aerokit on a standard color. Since I had asked about lizard green and voodoo blue (available), he did send this list of greens and blues that are approved for PTS:

Available Green’s

Brewster Green 22B
British Racing Green GB0
Green Yellow Uni 137Green 2D8
Lighter Green 227
Jet Green Metallic 39V
Light Green 253
Linden Green 226
Mint Green 22R
Nato Olive L6H
Oak Green Metallic 60K
Olive Green 60G
Porsche Racing Green Metallic PR0
Pure Green Y56
Signal Green 1YH
Forest Green Metallic 2B4
Underberg Green P6G

Available Blue’s

Turquois Blue 5TD
Gulf Blue 328
Iris Blue Metallic 39V
Dark Sea Blue A5G
Meissen Blue Z54
Mexico Blue 336
Nogaro Blue Metallic Z5M
Oslo Blue Z77
Ocean Blue Metallic 3AZ
Arrow Blue 5WB
Riviera Blue 39E
San Marino Blue Metallic W87
Voodoo Blue 5VL
Vintage72 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020 | 06:47 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My SA sent this to me in August when I was considering a Custom Color for my 2021 Spyder...
Attached Images
gravedgr (11-12-2020)
Old 11-13-2020 | 08:23 AM
txpackers
Racer

Originally Posted by gravedgr
The color I wanted (lizard green) is not available for the 992. I'm assuming that is the case because it was a 991 color, but it is really confusing since lizard green belts, tach and sport chrono are still in the configurator. So as of now, I'm leaning away from PTS and towards the aerokit on a standard color. Since I had asked about lizard green and voodoo blue (available), he did send this list of greens and blues that are approved for PTS:

Available Green’s

Brewster Green 22B
British Racing Green GB0
Green Yellow Uni 137Green 2D8
Lighter Green 227
Jet Green Metallic 39V
Light Green 253
Linden Green 226
Mint Green 22R
Nato Olive L6H
Oak Green Metallic 60K
Olive Green 60G
Porsche Racing Green Metallic PR0
Pure Green Y56
Signal Green 1YH
Forest Green Metallic 2B4
Underberg Green P6G

Available Blue’s

Turquois Blue 5TD
Gulf Blue 328
Iris Blue Metallic 39V
Dark Sea Blue A5G
Meissen Blue Z54
Mexico Blue 336
Nogaro Blue Metallic Z5M
Oslo Blue Z77
Ocean Blue Metallic 3AZ
Arrow Blue 5WB
Riviera Blue 39E
San Marino Blue Metallic W87
Voodoo Blue 5VL
Some amazing greens there. I’ve always liked Brewster and Oak Green. I was hoping Porsche would have a nice deep colored green for the 992. I’d love to order one but not sure I could stomach the PTS price. It surely will make the car unique and that alone may make it worth it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-13-2020 | 09:09 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by txpackers
Some amazing greens there. I’ve always liked Brewster and Oak Green. I was hoping Porsche would have a nice deep colored green for the 992. I’d love to order one but not sure I could stomach the PTS price. It surely will make the car unique and that alone may make it worth it. Good luck with your decision.
Same here. I would have done PTS this time but they have positioned it to make it very painful to order.
Old 11-13-2020 | 10:45 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

If PTS had been available when I ordered my car, I would have gone with Oslo Blue. I have seen that color and really like it on a 911. Funny thing, I could have ordered PTS and probably have gotten the car at the same time I’ll get my non-PTS car. I could have waited and not missed anything.
Old 11-13-2020 | 11:10 AM
RolandT
Rennlist Member

Just ordered a Viola metallic C2S
911-heaven (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020 | 12:15 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

For anyone considering PTS, this has been my resource for color samples.
The following 2 users liked this post by gravedgr:
gohawks23 (11-13-2020), Matty-B (12-02-2021)
Old 11-17-2020 | 08:20 AM
turbo3six
Rennlist Member

Default PTS with Aero

PTS with Aero 991.2 Perhaps Porsche will not do the same for 992?

Gulf Blue 18 way Sport Seats extended leather Stitching deviated to Orange
The following 2 users liked this post by turbo3six:
markchristenson (11-17-2020), RolandT (11-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample