Sponsored by:

SavageGeese 992 review

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 04:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus Das
I saw the Harry's Garage video on the 992S and his annoyance with the interior noise, so I was curious and measured it myself with my Apple Watch while cruising at around 65 mph and got 54 decibels. I was also a little taken aback that he was complaining about cabin noise but gushing over the Aston Martin, albeit he was referring to driving pleasure not cabin noise but from what I know the AM is a much louder car.
Personally I think his 992 S review is a miss. And not because he just didn't like the car. You can't really argue personal taste. I seem to recall that his objections were random and his critiques were not particularly insightful. His is one of the only reviews where he had a preference for the 991.2.
The following users liked this post:
macanspnw (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:38 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Nope. Other than 'why buy a PDK when the manual is this good....'
He was right about that.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Nope. Other than 'why buy a PDK when the manual is this good....'
I think you meant "why buy a manual when the 992 MT is essentially a PDK with an extra left pedal"
craig66 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
And then the tepid response by Harry at Harry's Garage. He didn't see much that was special with the regular 992. He was particularly annoyed by the interior noise level. He measured it at 72 decibels. Then when he critiqued the 992 Turbo S, he was just gushing with kudos. Funny then that Matt Farah, pretty much saw the Turbo S as a waste of money over competitors.
Seeing an outlier like that, I just assume Porsche did something to offend him. Long turn-around on returning phone calls? Gum on the brake pedal? Someone Dutch ovened the cabin?
Old 11-02-2020, 05:34 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think you meant "why buy a manual when the 992 MT is essentially a PDK with an extra left pedal"
Except that its not.
The following 2 users liked this post by gravedgr:
aggie57 (11-02-2020), SBAD (12-20-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 06:09 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Seeing an outlier like that, I just assume Porsche did something to offend him. Long turn-around on returning phone calls? Gum on the brake pedal? Someone Dutch ovened the cabin?
If you are talking about Matt, he got a ticket (and almost got arrested) for allegedly doing 100+ mph while he had the TTS for review and it was wet and rainy in the 24 hour period where he had the car, so that might have colored his perception.

Last edited by frankchn; 11-02-2020 at 06:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by frankchn:
AlexCeres (01-14-2021), Russian Mafia (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 06:44 PM
macanspnw
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

I thought Savage geese did a great review here. I was originally on the fence in that I would be happy with either a PDK or a manual. Now I want a manual for sure. I grew up driving them and am ready to have one again.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Jon35
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Totally agree. I loved the part where he states essentially now that it rev matches for you there is no reason not to have the manual which sounds very much like: Now that the real art of fine tuning a perfect shift really does not matter anymore why not just take a two step PDK over the one step PDK
Russian Mafia (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:24 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

I wonder if so many people are up for the PDK because they never drove a manual. Many tracks offer reasonably priced training in the use of a standard gear shift. Only then, can a person determine if they enjoy the art of shifting more than letting a super intelligent gear box do it for them.
txpackers (11-03-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:30 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon35
Totally agree. I loved the part where he states essentially now that it rev matches for you there is no reason not to have the manual which sounds very much like: Now that the real art of fine tuning a perfect shift really does not matter anymore why not just take a two step PDK over the one step PDK
Wow. He said that? Embarrassing. Ironically, for me, the opposite is true.

Maybe they'll make a stick shift that doesn't have a clutch pedal! Even better!

Old 11-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Jon35
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
I wonder if so many people are up for the PDK because they never drove a manual. Many tracks offer reasonably priced training in the use of a standard gear shift. Only then, can a person determine if they enjoy the art of shifting more than letting a super intelligent gear box do it for them.
That is certainly a possibility but its also just possibly that there are those of us who have driven manuals our whole lives, tried the PDK and loved it because it offers as much or as little engagement as we want. Those that truly know the PDK don't lose out on being able to be involved they just learn a different way to be involved, they learn how to use the shifters in manual mode to get the same effect or in automatic mode they learn to use the brakes and different kick down strengths to get the car to shift down when needed or in preparation for your next move.

When getting the Porsche I tried a manual with SC and in auto blip mode I kept asking myself what is the point. If the car is going to blip me and all I have to do is clutch and shift with no issues of timing or ideal rev matching then why bother with the left foot just going to head to the PDK - same thing

Do not mean to hijack the thread but honestly if this video made everyone believe that their assessment is proof positive that this car should be driven in manual I think many are missing the point. Especially when their reason for saying it is due to the presence of automatic rev matching.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:47 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Really enjoyed (loved might be a better word) this video. I'm absolutely positive it had nothing to do with it being a Guards Red 7spd MT. ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by russbert:
aggie57 (11-02-2020), Russian Mafia (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:48 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jon35
That is certainly a possibility but its also just possibly that there are those of us who have driven manuals our whole lives, tried the PDK and loved it because it offers as much or as little engagement as we want. Those that truly know the PDK don't lose out on being able to be involved they just learn a different way to be involved, they learn how to use the shifters in manual mode to get the same effect or in automatic mode they learn to use the brakes and different kick down strengths to get the car to shift down when needed or in preparation for your next move.

When getting the Porsche I tried a manual with SC and in auto blip mode I kept asking myself what is the point. If the car is going to blip me and all I have to do is clutch and shift with no issues of timing or ideal rev matching then why bother with the left foot just going to head to the PDK - same thing

Do not mean to hijack the thread but honestly if this video made everyone believe that their assessment is proof positive that this car should be driven in manual I think many are missing the point. Especially when their reason for saying it is due to the presence of automatic rev matching.
I used to drive 2003 M3 with a full Dinan upgrade short of the super charger. It had a sweet short shifter. What a difference it made at Mid Ohio. But know, the combination of long drives, age and arthritis have left me noticeably lazy. So my car has the PDK.
In regard to "Hi Jacking the Thread" , I'm sure the moderator is non too much perturbed unless you try it on an Air Plane.
Jon35 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Wow. He said that? Embarrassing. Ironically, for me, the opposite is true.

Maybe they'll make a stick shift that doesn't have a clutch pedal! Even better!
They did.

It's called the Porsche Doppel Kupplungs getriebe (or PDK for you and me).
Old 11-02-2020, 07:59 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Maybe the Brits **** fit differently in the 18 ways than ours in the colonies.
Russian Mafia (11-02-2020)

Quick Reply: SavageGeese 992 review