Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axle lift recommended for winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020 | 10:47 AM
NorthRoad
Track Day

Default Front axle lift recommended for winter driving?

I’ve seen some comments on indications for FAL in different threads, but would like 992 winter drivers’ expertise to help with my option selection. Current build includes SPASM and FAL. Year round DD, heavy snow at times (southern Ontario). I wonder if I should just cancel both those options, because no SPASM means FAL not required in winter? My drives have some graded entries but not terrible, was fine with my 997 C4S (no SPASM). Winter driving was enjoyable! Got stuck once, in 2 feet deep snowplow leftovers blocking Tim Hortons entrance. A gracious pedestrian helped push me out and I was on my way. I want to keep options < $30k. 😬
Current build code: PMQ8YI57 (still fussing, may change to sport-tex, RAS, etc etc)
Thx!
Old 11-01-2020 | 11:02 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

FAL is only used at slow speeds to get over speed bumps, or sharp incline/decline situations. Not really designed to raise during deep snow driving, I think it deactivates/lowers after 30mph.

I have a C4S with SPASM and no FAL - I have yet to come across a need for FAL yet, where as some of my other sports cars it is an absolute must. I know there are likely some inclines or speed bumps that others have, but mine is my DD, and know most routes, etc well. So FAL was not needed in my case.

If you did remove SPASM, you would gain 10MM/or just less than 1/2 inch (not much).
Old 11-01-2020 | 11:22 AM
NorthRoad
Track Day

Thanks for the reply. That was my line of thinking: can’t really drive around town with FAL active & SPASM doesn’t affect clearance that much, unless paired with aero kit. My SA recommended FAL for snow and resale. But I think I could get by without it. SPASM is a “nice to have” for me, but I’m sure I would still love the car without it...
Old 11-01-2020 | 12:15 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

To drive in winter, keep the standard front bumper and get Sliplo bumper guard. It offers some protection against scrapes.
Old 11-01-2020 | 12:39 PM
NorthRoad
Track Day

Even with the included plastic front lip, would you still recommend a bumper skid plate?
Old 11-01-2020 | 12:53 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malibu515
To drive in winter, keep the standard front bumper and get Sliplo bumper guard. It offers some protection against scrapes.
For winter DD use agree with keeping standard front bumper, but dead-set against Sliplo for two reasons: 1) it is butt-ugly and is a cheesy, cheap and visible stick-on, and 2) Even the minor profile difference of the SPASM front lip compared to the non-SPASM lip alters the aerodynamics of the car...Sliplo protruding into the very carefully engineered underbody airflow could have some undesirable consequences at speed.

At 11k km on my non-SPASM, non-Aerokit DD I have zero front lip scrapes. It's not difficult to achieve if one pays attention.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020 | 01:56 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

I disagree. I have the Sliplo installed on the front standard bumper and it is completely hidden from view. It is placed on the corners, not the front, so it protects these vulnerable areas. It is of such low profile and thickness, that it is highly doubtful that it could have any effect on underbody airflow. It is easily placed and easily removed. Until there is an aftermarket option that offers a metal plate behind the standard bumper, there is really nothing out there that offers this protection.
It is true that the standard front bumper is inexpensive, relatively, to replace, should it be scraped .
Old 11-01-2020 | 07:21 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

The front lip is designed and priced to be a consumable, expect it to get a few scrapes and scratches. Throw a new one on every couple of years.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
gcurnew (11-02-2020), NorthRoad (11-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Front axle lift recommended for winter driving?