Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differentials

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Limited Slip Differentials

One of the largely unmentioned differences between the manual and PDK cars is that the manuals only come with a mechanical limited slip diff, whereas the PDK has an electronic one. I'm assuming that an electronic unit is better, since mechanical units have been around a very long time. However, does anyone know whether there is a noticeable difference in performance between the two? 100 percent of my driving is on the street rather than the track, and I'm wondering whether the differences should be an important consideration in deciding between a manual car and a PDK.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:03 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

If the mechanical LSD is a Torsen LSD I'd take that over an electronic version. FWIW, I don't know off hand what type of mechanical LSD Porsche is using. But I'd be curious to know.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:36 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Not sure if you could really tell the difference, if the mechanical is a quality one (which is most likely is). I have to assume they will function in the same way except the electronic one will have less lag in engaging. However the Mechanical LSD is less complex, which is not a bad thing for repairs if ever needed.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Only Guards make a LSD for the 7MT and it is $3k + shipping and labor at your local shop.

regarding difference with LSD and eLSD. Preload could be a variable. If your have torque vectoring as well with the eLSD, it is a very good package.
I find the preload in the mechanical LSD a little lazy. For a long continuous corner and steady throttle you won’t feel it, you need to keep squeezing throttle to load the LSD. Can make for scary fast corner exit. Also, in very slow corner, easy to oversteer before LSD grabs but then TSC may have already cut throttle and brake one wheel before LSD loads up.

Last edited by tgavem; 10-29-2020 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (10-29-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:19 PM
WestBank
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

edit: I drive a 2019 M4 CS

I can tell you if I had to choose between a mechanical and electronic version of a differential, I'd go electronic all day long. DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and e-Diffs work in tandem for sure, I believe the differential lock up is controlled by the DSC and is in tandem with the traction control to optimize traction in any driving scenario. The portion of the DSC system that operates the differentials electric motor pulls data from sensors across the M4, such as steering angle, yaw, pitch, wheel speeds, etc. and decides on how much lock to set. The more aggressive the differential locks up, the less traction control interference and the better the acceleration.

There was an electronic differential deep dive on F8x ///M cars, and I quote, "Tuning of the Active M differential is performed hand in hand with that of the chassis and the control systems, such as the DSC. All in all, it is a repetitive process. The responsible engineers conduct their testing activities jointly. The interplay of the individual systems is optimised as they are developed."

I'd have to believe that Porsche has the same system. Data being derived from sensors on the car, and adjusting the e-diff on the fly as the situation develops.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:25 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Only Guards make a LSD for the 7MT and it is $3k + shipping and labor at your local shop.

regarding difference with LSD and eLSD. Preload could be a variable. If your have torque vectoring as well with the eLSD, it is a very good package.
I find the preload in the mechanical LSD a little lazy. For a long continuous corner and steady throttle you won’t feel it, you need to keep squeezing throttle to load the LSD. Can make for scary fast corner exit. Also, in very slow corner, easy to oversteer before LSD grabs but then TSC may have already cut throttle and brake one wheel before LSD loads up.
I don't disagree, but only if you are driving at 90%+, otherwise there is no way you are feeling the difference in normal driving conditions/capabilities. I do agree modern cars on the track, you can potentially feel the difference if you are capable to get to that limit.

I was curious though, as I thought other porsches in the past had eLSD with manual tranny, but the 992 had mLSD. (which is what I have). I think even the 928 had a eLSD, but not positive, as I do not remember, but I think I remember it being one of the first back in the day...
Old 11-01-2020, 02:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

On street makes no difference.

At the track, different story.
The following users liked this post:
Tompoodie (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:16 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
On street makes no difference.

At the track, different story.
Agreed. Now can someone confirm what type of diff the manual cars have? Torsen or plate/ramp? I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer.

Last edited by aggie57; 11-01-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:52 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Agreed. No can someone confirm what type of diff the manual cars have? Torsen or plate? I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer.
The Manual Transmission cars have a mechanical Wet Clutch (Plate) style Limited Slip Differential. Of that I am fairly certain. I was able to locate the attached exploded view courtesy Car & Driver. The Differential shown is pretty clearly a mechanical version.

The DCT's use what is being called an electronically controlled infinitely variable Limited Slip Differential. I can not find any wiring diagrams or exploded Parts Catalog views of this Differential. All I can find are line art pictures of the complete 8-Speed DCT assemblies.
https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/p...gearbox-248479

I did a LOT of searching to try and figure out how the Porsche electronically variable version actually works. eg. electro-hydraulically operated wet plate clutches by themselves like Honda uses on their Ridgeline Pickup -or- electro-hydraulically operated wet plate clutches that act on sets of planetary gears -or- there are other possibilities as well I'd imagine.

With either Differential Porsche is using the Rear Wheel Brakes to initiate the "Torque Vectoring" at a corner "Turn In". An effective but particularly in-elegant way of accomplishing this. Basically a computer controlled steering brake system.

The attached pictures are of the Honda Ridgeline electro-hydraulically operated wet plate clutch system.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 11-01-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Agreed. Now can someone confirm what type of diff the manual cars have? Torsen or plate/ramp? I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer.
I think the last Porsche that had a Torsen differential was the 968.

Just about all modern mid/rear engined Porsches have a multi-plate clutch with ball ramp reinforcement.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:34 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

By now most have already read this, link anyway:

https://www.porsche.com/middle-east/...11-carrera-4s/
Old 11-01-2020, 10:11 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The Manual Transmission cars have a mechanical Wet Clutch (Plate) style Limited Slip Differential. Of that I am fairly certain. I was able to locate the attached exploded view courtesy Car & Driver. The Differential shown is pretty clearly a mechanical version.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think the last Porsche that had a Torsen differential was the 968.

Just about all modern mid/rear engined Porsches have a multi-plate clutch with ball ramp reinforcement.
Thanks guys, real old school!

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differentials