Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs. Manual conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 12:15 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

I have driven a PDK, many many times. PDK is really awesome. Yes, I love manuals and I think auto blip is great. However, auto blip does not = pdk. I love PDK, and I may order one in my Spyder. Maybe . . . . probably, I want to share vert driving duties with my significant other - she is aggressive but bad at rowing her own gears.

This is not a debate to me and so many threads are dedicated to it all over Rennlist. Buy what you ENJOY more.

Last edited by Vintage72; 10-26-2020 at 12:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vintage72:
aggie57 (10-26-2020), Jon35 (10-26-2020), russbert (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Why?
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because at that point you're essentially driving a PDK.
This. It's almost like PDK with a lever. Too perfect, too smooth, too easy. There's no art to it. It's still rewarding to nail a heel/toe in a traditional manual, even after years of driving stick shift. Taking that away makes no sense to me. Porsche used to have a button that could turn it off, but maybe that's only in the GT cars.

If I wanted crisp perfection and robotically precise downshifts, then PDK does the same thing, but better.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Jon35 (10-26-2020), smiles11 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:13 AM
Jon35
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I was pretty sure working a manual transmission involved more than pressing the clutch in/out, but I could be wrong. It thought there was a shifter somewhere....hmm.

Just teasing, but there is obviously a lot more lost moving from a manual - with or without rev matching for downshifts - to an automatic, automated manual or CVT. Personally, working the shifter and finding the right gear for what I'm doing (learning the range and RPMs) is the fun for me, and the clutch pedal is entirely secondary. Way back in the late 60s or early 70s, VW made an automatic clutch for the manual Beetle (my folks had one) - I think that would be fun to try, but I still like that third pedal.

If you like Forza with a standard xbox controller, you'll be fine with the PDK "mouse clicker". (again, just teasing some folks)
I do hear what you say but in all seriousness. Why can someone using a PDK in manual not do exactly the same thing in working each gear and only shifting when you are good and ready. Perhaps you are not aware of the PDK in manual. The PDK in manual will shift only when you tell it to with either the paddle shifters and in everything pre992 with the gear lever as well and so if you want to drive all the way home in second gear at 6000 RPM that is what you will do. It will not take over for you and it will not force a shift. If you say that it is not even about the clutch or the shift but the ability to decide what gear you want to be in then the PDK is made for you as it, in manual, will allow you to do exactly that. When I drive home and shift into manual I am in total and absolute control of the gears I am in at all times.

Yet when I don't feel like it - which is rare - put it in to full automatic and it is a beast in another skin

Just as an aside The Porsche manual is in effect actually just a redisgned PDK gear box
The following 4 users liked this post by Jon35:
michael818 (10-26-2020), MotoDC (10-28-2020), oalvarez (02-24-2023), smiles11 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:16 AM
Jon35
Advanced

Precisely !!! That is why I laugh at those that insist on a manual as the only way to have a car and then go with auto blip. Rather go with the PDK then and save your knees !!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jon35:
michael818 (10-26-2020), MotoDC (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:17 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

checking out on this silly thread . . . buy what you enjoy
The following 2 users liked this post by Vintage72:
AlexCeres (10-26-2020), SamD (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:39 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon35
I do hear what you say but in all seriousness. Why can someone using a PDK in manual not do exactly the same thing in working each gear and only shifting when you are good and ready. Perhaps you are not aware of the PDK in manual. The PDK in manual will shift only when you tell it to with either the paddle shifters and in everything pre992 with the gear lever as well and so if you want to drive all the way home in second gear at 6000 RPM that is what you will do. It will not take over for you and it will not force a shift. If you say that it is not even about the clutch or the shift but the ability to decide what gear you want to be in then the PDK is made for you as it, in manual, will allow you to do exactly that. When I drive home and shift into manual I am in total and absolute control of the gears I am in at all times.

Yet when I don't feel like it - which is rare - put it in to full automatic and it is a beast in another skin

Just as an aside The Porsche manual is in effect actually just a redisgned PDK gear box
It’s not the same. The MT is anachronistic and imperfect. It requires the driver involvement and timing and choices and skill. Mine’s pretty mediocre so mistakes happen. Which, ironically, is a good thing, I am doing (more of) the driving. The computer is doing less. The PDK turbo is so good, it’s too good. Absolute control and machine perfect every time all the time gets .. routine. Boring. For driver engagement, the MT requires more of the driver. It might not be your idea of fun, but it’s some folks idea of fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
SamD (10-27-2020), smiles11 (10-26-2020), sweylo (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
All that's being said here makes sense, but as I'm going back and forth on this, I can't help but think of owners of Ferraris, McClarens, Lamborghinis, AMG's, Astons and Audi R8's. Are they all driving dulled-down cars because they are not manuals? Are they not enjoying the driving experience as much as those of us with manual Porsches? As much as I've enjoyed shifting for myself over the years, I'm having to acknowledge that manuals are an anachronism, and that the state of the art has changed. From what I can discern, the PDK is very possibly the best automatic ever made, and I'm sure there are those who get great pleasure from it in places other than the track. I just wish that Porsche made a switchable PDK with three pedals and a shifter so my mental agonies over this can be resolved.
those cars are for going extremely fast or for touring. Pdk is great for both. If you’re buying are car for another purpose, you might come to consider them too good to be actually fun on a public street
Old 10-26-2020, 01:49 AM
Jon35
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
It’s not the same. The MT is anachronistic and imperfect. It requires the driver involvement and timing and choices and skill. .
Not when the car is autoblipping for you. There is no skll involved when the car auto blips for you. its a PDK with a clutch.

I agree - this thread is getting silly.

OP get what you want but do not be shamed or guilted into thinking you are getting any less of an experience when you get the PDK. It will be a little different but not better or worse and it will allow you to concentrate on other components of your driving as well.
The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (02-24-2023)
Old 10-26-2020, 02:00 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Well, of course we are but with the transmission computer largely overridden by the human one between our ears, interfaced via left leg and right arm. The blip annoyed me at first but now I happily use it most of the time; heel and toe is one twist of a **** away,
gohawks23 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 02:20 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of the PDK and how it functions. I just don't want one in anything outside a daily commuter or dedicated track machine.

To put it differently, you can buy an electronic keyboard that perfectly replicates the notes of a piano and never goes out of tune. I can't think of many pianists who would prefer to play one, despite its technical superiority.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:25 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Not when the car is autoblipping for you. There is no skll involved when the car auto blips for you. its a PDK with a clutch.

I agree - this thread is getting silly.

OP get what you want but do not be shamed or guilted into thinking you are getting any less of an experience when you get the PDK. It will be a little different but not better or worse and it will allow you to concentrate on other components of your driving as well.
Automatching revs on downshift is only required on the track. On the street, there is little to no value - no one needs to get into a lower gear as quickly and smoothly as it allows, since you really only need 2-4 gears in most daily driving.

Agreed though, its just a personal preference. I do find it funny that those who prefer PDK are determined to convince others of the similarities, while those who prefer the MT espouse the differences. Of course they have both, but what people find important in making their argument is what is telling.
Underblu (08-24-2022)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:28 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 135 Posts

If I bought a PDK, my wife would divorce me and my son with disown me. Much cheaper to go with manual.

This might be the last opportunity to buy a 911 with a manual. No way I’d miss out on that.
The following 2 users liked this post by txpackers:
AlexCeres (10-26-2020), sweylo (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

This is really a personal choice you will have to make so I’ll tell you mine.

I am on 911 number 14. All manual shift cars till #14. I had 4 previous TT cars all manual. I always wanted a TTS, for me it was the pinnacle of Porsche street cars. While in my dealer for warranty work on my Guards Red 991 4S manual I was looking at what they had, as usual, and saw the TTS, minimally optioned like I would have ordered myself. They asked if I wanted to drive it while waiting for my car and initially I said “It’s a PDK I’m not interested”. The SA is a good friend and said give it a roll. During the drive in auto and a little PDK I said to the sales guy, “It’s nice but I miss the manual”. He said let’s really drive it so you can see that you would never be able to extract from this car in manual shift what you can with the PDK. Wow was he right.

I drive it mostly in Sport in manual mode and shift with the stick or the paddles. Sometimes if I have an Fcar or like at a light in a not busy area I slip it into Sport Plus and auto and let the PDK do it’s job with the pedal pushed to max. It’s a great transmission, maybe the best in the market, definitely for the price. Do I miss the manual, honestly no. After driving TR 3’s, TR6’s, several iterations of the Z cars from 240 to 300 Turbo, BMW’s and then a bunch of 911’s all manual I am really happy with the PDK. Good luck in your choice. All great choices.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penn4S:
detansinn (10-26-2020), oalvarez (02-24-2023)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:53 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Driving the PDK with the paddles, I don’t feel like I am missing anything on the engagement front. This is the first time that I haven’t had a 3 pedal manual transmission in 30+ years.

I drive my DCT transmissions like they are manuals and have an absolute blast doing so.

MotoDC (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:59 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

This is really a personal choice you will have to make so I’ll tell you mine.

I am on 911 number 14. All manual shift cars till #14. I had 4 previous TT cars all manual. I always wanted a TTS, for me it was the pinnacle of Porsche street cars. While in my dealer for warranty work on my Guards Red 991 4S manual I was looking at what they had, as usual, and saw the TTS, minimally optioned like I would have ordered myself. They asked if I wanted to drive it while waiting for my car and initially I said “It’s a PDK I’m not interested”. The SA is a good friend and said give it a roll. During the drive in auto and a little PDK I said to the sales guy, “It’s nice but I miss the manual”. He said let’s really drive it so you can see that you would never be able to extract from this car in manual shift what you can with the PDK. Wow was he right.

I drive it mostly in Sport in manual mode and shift with the stick or the paddles. Sometimes if I have an Fcar or like at a light in a not busy area I slip it into Sport Plus and auto and let the PDK do it’s job with the pedal pushed to max. It’s a great transmission, maybe the best in the market, definitely for the price. Do I miss the manual, honestly no. After driving TR 3’s, TR6’s, several iterations of the Z cars from 240 to 300 Turbo, BMW’s and then a bunch of 911’s all manual I am really happy with the PDK. Good luck in your choice. All great choices.

Quick Reply: PDK vs. Manual conundrum