Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs. Manual conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020 | 05:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
I have had three manual 911's and have loved driving them. But I've driven the 992 with PDK and was smitten by the instant shifts and the immediate power in a fraction of a second in any gear. I also had fun paddle shifting it, and thought that the experience brought many of the same pleasures as the manual. However, I'm wondering if there people out there who have migrated from a manual to a PDK and now regret it. I have ordered a car with PDK, but am not yet locked, and I'm anxious about regretting my decision too late. I would appreciate all comments on this, but especially so from those who are recent converts to PDK and who have a verdict on it.
Going back to the original question - I went back and forth between manual and PDK 911s until I finally broke down and got both. (Same issue of Turbo v NA was solved the same way)

The truth is that there isn't necessarily one right answer. PDK delivers something you can't get with a manual. Incredibly fast and flawless shifting and perfect launches without variation. Brutal power delivery and highly granular control over engine speed given the large number of gears and the way those gears are spaced. It also happens to be incredibly convenient to drive. I feel like PDK just seems to match the character of modern, lower RPM torque monster turbocharged engines better.

Manual transmission, of course, requires some skill and finesse to master. Most of us never do. It's a dance between your hands and feet and the car. It's a tactile, connecting experience and you lose that crucial bit of physicality when you take away the stick/clutch.

If I could only have one 911.... it would be a manual. I would miss the footwork and throwing the stick. But even then, I would still miss what PDK brings to the table.
The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (02-24-2023)
Old 10-26-2020 | 05:18 PM
photonscience
Instructor

I had PDK on my 991.2 and ordered it on my 992. Prior to that it was 40 years of driving Porsches with MT.

Personally, I wish Porsche had not gone to only allowing paddle shifting in the 992. There were numerous times when I enjoyed using the gear shifter to manually shift the 991 PDK.
The following 2 users liked this post by photonscience:
dashanin (11-27-2021), oalvarez (02-24-2023)
Old 10-26-2020 | 05:39 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

let me say this:
​​​​​​i consider pdk a total advancement, absolutely the best thing going, you can row your own boat, but....i don't see many people asking for the return of drum brakes or manual steering to bring back their sense of engagement.....
and this:
​​​​​​LOL . . . . I'd add: 6 Volt Electrical Systems, King and Link Pin Front Suspensions, Breaker Point Ignition Systems, Solid Lifters, and Cable operated Clutches
i remember, so well, Breaker Point Ignition Systems....and those solid secure feedback messages from King & LinkPin front suspension !!
not to forget this:
​​​​​​And manually operated windows. Oh yes! But what I actually DO miss are Wing Windows.

"PolyGlas Tires.....ohhh how i miss you"
Old 10-26-2020 | 05:52 PM
Gentian21
Racer

All of this input has been helpful to ponder as I try to decide between the two transmissions. An earlier post said it best though. To paraphrase, he said that no matter which transmission I choose, there will be times when I wish I had the other. That sounds about right. At this point, I'm leaning into PDK, because even though it isn't as involving as a manual, the paddle shifters do allow you to participate in the most important decision when driving a manual-- which gear you want to be in at any given moment. So when I am nostalgic for the 911 manuals I've had in the past, I can always slip into the manual mode of the PDK, and (in my opinion) have 80 percent of the joy that a manual brings. What I'll also get with PDK that a manual doesn't give you is lightning fast shifts and the probability that you are almost always in the optimal gear for any circumstance. Plus, when I'm in traffic or a "non-enthusiast" driving environment (which, frankly, is the majority of the time) I have the convenience of PDK with no give-ups. When driving around my automatic Audi in an ordinary city/suburban driving situation, I cannot remember ever thinking, "Gee, I wish this car had a clutch". In the final analysis, I agree with those who said there is no right or wrong answer here. Both transmissions are fantastic, and it all comes down to one's style of driving and personal preferences.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gentian21:
oalvarez (02-24-2023), Todd C (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020 | 06:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

All of this input has been helpful to ponder as I try to decide between the two transmissions. An earlier post said it best though. To paraphrase, he said that no matter which transmission I choose, there will be times when I wish I had the other. That sounds about right. At this point, I'm leaning into PDK, because even though it isn't as involving as a manual, the paddle shifters do allow you to participate in the most important decision when driving a manual-- which gear you want to be in at any given moment. So when I am nostalgic for the 911 manuals I've had in the past, I can always slip into the manual mode of the PDK, and (in my opinion) have 80 percent of the joy that a manual brings. What I'll also get with PDK that a manual doesn't give you is lightning fast shifts and the probability that you are almost always in the optimal gear for any circumstance. Plus, when I'm in traffic or a "non-enthusiast" driving environment (which, frankly, is the majority of the time) I have the convenience of PDK with no give-ups. When driving around my automatic Audi in an ordinary city/suburban driving situation, I cannot remember ever thinking, "Gee, I wish this car had a clutch". In the final analysis, I agree with those who said there is no right or wrong answer here. Both transmissions are fantastic, and it all comes down to one's style of driving and personal preferences.
You're absolutely correct, there is no right or wrong answer. This thread has got way off track apropos your original question, a bunch of silly statements and assumptions have been made on both sides. But that seems to be much the norm whenever this question gets raised. Ain't life grand eh!
Old 10-26-2020 | 06:06 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

↑ I think you have summarized it nicely and sounds like you are making an informed decision. Will you miss that final 20% though?

Originally Posted by SBAD
.......If you grew up admiring racing car drivers like Vic Elford, watched heel-toeing by race drivers on mountain passes, and learned the beauty of a properly executed downshift, then your soul will give you no choice.
This is SO true. You do NOT have a choice for a car you buy purely for enjoyment. If that car also has to get you through stop and go traffic, well, then, life is compromises.

Originally Posted by SBAD
......(For the record, even Vic Elford has said he was faster on track with the PDK and in auto mode. But so what? Its about the fun.)
Everyone is faster on the track with PDK, but its not huge for us weekend warrior types. Little gap opens up when you have to shift compared to when they do, but you usually catch them through the next turn or braking zone
Old 10-26-2020 | 06:10 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Going back to the original question - I went back and forth between manual and PDK 911s until I finally broke down and got both. (Same issue of Turbo v NA was solved the same way)

The truth is that there isn't necessarily one right answer. PDK delivers something you can't get with a manual. Incredibly fast and flawless shifting and perfect launches without variation. Brutal power delivery and highly granular control over engine speed given the large number of gears and the way those gears are spaced. It also happens to be incredibly convenient to drive. I feel like PDK just seems to match the character of modern, lower RPM torque monster turbocharged engines better.

Manual transmission, of course, requires some skill and finesse to master. Most of us never do. It's a dance between your hands and feet and the car. It's a tactile, connecting experience and you lose that crucial bit of physicality when you take away the stick/clutch.

If I could only have one 911.... it would be a manual. I would miss the footwork and throwing the stick. But even then, I would still miss what PDK brings to the table.
+1. Same problem, same resolution. Pdk turbo, MT NA.

driving them back to back is still new and kinda wild. I always notice what’s missing.
Old 10-26-2020 | 06:12 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Cool video for what I'm getting!
The following 3 users liked this post by gohawks23:
AlexCeres (10-26-2020), Dan Nagy (10-26-2020), gravedgr (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020 | 07:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

All that's being said here makes sense, but as I'm going back and forth on this, I can't help but think of owners of Ferraris, McClarens, Lamborghinis, AMG's, Astons and Audi R8's. Are they all driving dulled-down cars because they are not manuals? Are they not enjoying the driving experience as much as those of us with manual Porsches? As much as I've enjoyed shifting for myself over the years, I'm having to acknowledge that manuals are an anachronism, and that the state of the art has changed. From what I can discern, the PDK is very possibly the best automatic ever made, and I'm sure there are those who get great pleasure from it in places other than the track. I just wish that Porsche made a switchable PDK with three pedals and a shifter so my mental agonies over this can be resolved.
Many of the cars you mentioned are what I would consider too quick to properly enjoy a manual. Specifically McLaren and Ferrari. Those cars are 600+ hp. Their buyers also probably have another sports car sitting in the garage with a manual or can buy an older Ferrari that has a manual. I think the 997 and 991 cars are still great cars to have with a manual, because outside of the Turbo, they're not quick enough where you can't enjoy the car with a manual.

Ultimately, if you want to try a new experience, go for it, there is nothing wrong with that. I just know that when I did, I ended up missing the manual even though I ultimately told myself for years that I wanted a PDK/dual clutch in my next sports car because it was just such a cool experience and because my daily driver was a dual clutch and I enjoyed that. I ended up back in a manual shortly later buying a PDK. If I ever had to get a PDK or dual clutch due to medical reasons for instance, I would be very happy that they exist, but as long as I'm able to drive a manual in my sports car, I will. Keep in mind, I had a 997 PDK, I know a lot has changed between 997 and 991 PDK. But my issue wasn't the shift speed it was that for my driving I did want something more involving. I guess for the way that I drive, which is 10mph over on backroads, the manual just suits my driving style better. If I was trying to extract every bit of the car, like on track, or wanted something easier to drive like for traffic, then PDK.

No right or wrong answer, just various ways to enjoy a great car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
AlexCeres (10-26-2020), Flash992 (12-06-2021)
Old 10-27-2020 | 12:20 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Cool video for what I'm getting! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2aTITu4was
Definitely reaffirmed my decision. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-27-2020 | 09:06 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

As I stated above after 13 911’s all MT I’m in my first PDK car. If this isn’t the absolute best DCT on the market at any price I would be surprised. I definitely went into this car thinking I might own it a short time and then go back to some type of MT car possibly an early Turbo.

The more I drive the PDK the more I like it. I drive it 99% of the time in manual and with my ECU and PDK tune the shifts are lightning quick and sharp like a light kidney punch. I’m more focused on my driving and the best shift time than whether I’ll misshift. The car is so quick with this transmission and the PDK shifting is very similar to an MT except my feet are only worried about proper braking or acceleration.

Where I live in SW Florida there are plenty of Fcars, McLarens, and Lambos, I can hang with most and bury plenty and this gear box in a main reason. Did not think I would enjoy it as much as I am as I was a 50 year mt guy.

Last edited by Penn4S; 10-27-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2020 | 09:40 AM
brucewinter
Racer

My two cents. I prefer the the driver manual connection while driving and rowing gears. Two years ago I sold my “new” NSX because I felt a lack of driver engagement without the manual transmission. I bought a Carrera T manual Transmission and have not looked back. The T was sold and I am waiting for my 992 Targa manual to be built.
Old 10-27-2020 | 10:09 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Definitely reaffirmed my decision. Thanks for sharing!
Gotta love his videos - he actually drives the cars. Yeah, he can get a bit repetitive but rarely do you see him get this enthusiastic about a car. "Should you get the manual? Absolutely!"

Frankly all this talk about small things like an auto-blip making the manual just a PDK with clutch is just silly nonsense. And we know a manual is slower 0-60 than a PDK - guess what, we don't care. Tiptronic was faster 0-60 than the manual too. Want to win a drag race? Save some cash, go buy a Demon.

Last edited by aggie57; 10-27-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2020 | 10:28 AM
SamD
Racer

OMG, this thread. Might as well ask: What is the best color for a 911?
Old 10-27-2020 | 11:23 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamD
OMG, this thread. Might as well ask: What is the best color for a 911?
Ha—I almost started a new thread with that title :-)

Totally agree, though. Ultimately a very personal decision that has no right/wrong answer because the combination of factors that each of us has is going to be, while perhaps similar, still unique.
The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (02-24-2023)

Quick Reply: PDK vs. Manual conundrum