Sponsored by:

Miami Blue and PTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 02:23 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Miami Blue and PTS

Here’s the story to date: I began to realize in late July that the preferred color of my new C2S, Miami Blue, was being discontinued. I reached out to my local dealer and he claims to have spent a couple weeks trying for an allocation what would fit with the timeline of availability for the color (that specific availability timeline apparently shrouded in cluelessness).

After a couple of weeks of waiting for a concrete answer from the local dealer, I started reaching out to others and found a dealer who thought they could trade for an allocation that would allow the MB exterior. He got a trade from the east coast after about a month (now late September), got a commission number, and I even got a TYD invite with an actual car and timeline (mid October build).

By this time, I had also talked with PCNA and was told by them that the builds needed to occur before December 4.

The TYD invite came on Friday September 25. The car was still the originally specified configuration which the dealer obtained in trade. The SA told me they would be working on getting the configuration updated early the following week (lock date was October 8). On Tuesday, September 29 the SA reached out to me and said PAG/PCNA issued a V code stating not approved. They were told by PCNA that the last MB car got painted September 25. That day the TYD disappeared from my Porsche account.

With that background, we’re now looking at PTS. I’ve chosen a color and the SA tells me they now need to see if two special requests can be accommodated (mirrors painted body color and sport design package in gloss black). Once they get that figured out, they tell me they will need to attempt to get an allocation which includes PTS, which is, according to them, limited. They think they can get one within the next month or two and expect the car would be her late summer 2021.

Being OCD, I’ve been doing as much research on the PTS process as possible and on the GT3 forum, there’s some discussion and back in September they were talking about only four slots per month, I don’t know if that’s specific to those cars or what but certainly, based on how this has gone so far, I’m concerned this is even achievable.

This is a car I’ve worked hard to fund for a number of years, it’ll be my second Porsche (I’ve had a G body for fifteen years) and it’ll be my last car so I want what I want, though timing’s not that critical.

Thank you in advance for any insights or advice that you may be able to provide.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:07 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

I have no insight or wisdom, just empathy for your situation as a fellow fan of Miami Blue.

My first Porsche, a Boxster in 1998, was a whole production because I wanted a green one and they wouldn't do it in green, even PTS. For the '99 model year they offered a color that worked for me (Forest Green Metallic) so all was well eventually. With the current car, MB is my choice and I'd consider canceling (the wait for EPA approval is absurd--my car, like those of many others, has been sitting at the port a short 45-minute drive from my house for nearly two months) except for the fact that I want MB and don't want to go through the machinations and seemingly opaque process of getting a PTS car. And that's even before one considers the absurd pricing.

Good luck--I hope it works out for you in the long run!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:12 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Wow, that’s really a shame. You certainly held up your end. You could write a note to the head
of customer service and explain your situation. I have his email address if interested (PM me). It seems like your SA is also trying for you and hope it works out.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:11 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Mark and Dan,
Thank you both for the kind thoughts, most appreciated. Both the dealer and SA have been most helpful, I think they're also equally pretty frustrated with both PAG and PCNA for the confusion about the MB availability and timing as well as the inability to determine timing of the response to the CXX options and the availability of the PTS allocations.

Mark, I've been watching the ridiculous debacle of the EPA/CARB delays and completely empathize with the frustration there. I only presume once that's over and you've got your car (and others have theirs) the annoyance will fade with the enjoyment of such a great car (and killer color)!

Best,
Karl
Old 10-25-2020, 11:04 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

@svkarl Very sorry about your setbacks. I sincerely hope you'll end up with dream car sooner rather than later without any further ****-ups from Porsche.

One question: Is the pending approval for the "two special requests" related to the PTS itself? The reason why I'm asking is that shouldn't the sport design package in gloss black and the mirrors painted in body color be otherwise considered like any other option, as they are listed on the normal options list? I would assume, and according my understanding from the past, a CXX option to be something out of ordinary, a special wish that the customer requests outside of the normal offering of options. For instance, 992's inner roof material to be changed to perforated leather instead of alcantara or an interior item that is not mentioned on the options list to be painted in body color etc.. Is this indeed one of the quirks of the PTS (you'd think one wouldn't have to worry about such things, when willing to shell out the already outrageous price) or is something in the ordering process inherently different in the U.S compared to us Europeans? (In which case, I sincerely apologize for my ignorance.)

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 10-25-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:41 AM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

TheGreatJ, no ignorance at all. Here’s how it seems to be working: while you are correct that painted mirrors and SD in gloss black are indeed on the configuration, once PTS is selected up pops a dialog box indicating either those two options need to go away or a non PTS color needs to be selected. The GM and SA tell me that means they have to specially request these options via Exclusive Design, apparently then making them CXX. Makes no sense but that’s what I’m being told. That inquiry/request takes an unknown amount of time and if approved I’m told only would be available at a cost surcharge above those options listed cost, so there’s that too.
Karl
The following 2 users liked this post by svkarl:
LLK (10-26-2020), TheGreatJ (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:35 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

why not just order the car and have a body shop match the PTS color on the mirrors, skip the headache of telling the factory how to paint the car. Exclusive design is for fully custom work, like unusual finishes and materials.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:57 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
@svkarl Very sorry about your setbacks. I sincerely hope you'll end up with dream car sooner rather than later without any further ****-ups from Porsche.

One question: Is the pending approval for the "two special requests" related to the PTS itself? The reason why I'm asking is that shouldn't the sport design package in gloss black and the mirrors painted in body color be otherwise considered like any other option, as they are listed on the normal options list? I would assume, and according my understanding from the past, a CXX option to be something out of ordinary, a special wish that the customer requests outside of the normal offering of options. For instance, 992's inner roof material to be changed to perforated leather instead of alcantara or an interior item that is not mentioned on the options list to be painted in body color etc.. Is this indeed one of the quirks of the PTS (you'd think one wouldn't have to worry about such things, when willing to shell out the already outrageous price) or is something in the ordering process inherently different in the U.S compared to us Europeans? (In which case, I sincerely apologize for my ignorance.)
Let me jump in here...I was working a PTS Spyder for a couple of months and eventually dropped out.

If you go PTS, you can throw out anything on the normal configurator that is painted.

Normal Spyder has interior trim in exterior color at no charge. If you go PTS the dash trim was
around $3000 extra. Door trim was not available.

Another data point; roll bars in exterior are about $600 normally. PTS was still examining feasibility and no pricing was available.

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

PTS...if ever approved and allocated...was going to cost somewhere between $16-20K more.

Anyway, I bailed...my RY 2021 Spyder is now in Houston.

They ought to publish the costs, procedures, and limitations up front. Lots of emails between my SA and Porsche exclusive and flip flops.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 12:34 AM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking I'll give it another week or so then have them pull the supposed CXX items and proceed with determination of whether they can get a PTS allocation. Black mirror bases and standard finish fascias are not a giant deal and I certainly can get them painted the way I want post delivery. Certainly the lack of available processes/costs is making what should be a pretty enjoyable experience somewhat annoying; it really does not need to be this difficult.
Karl
Old 10-27-2020, 08:20 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by svkarl
TheGreatJ, no ignorance at all. Here’s how it seems to be working: while you are correct that painted mirrors and SD in gloss black are indeed on the configuration, once PTS is selected up pops a dialog box indicating either those two options need to go away or a non PTS color needs to be selected. The GM and SA tell me that means they have to specially request these options via Exclusive Design, apparently then making them CXX. Makes no sense but that’s what I’m being told. That inquiry/request takes an unknown amount of time and if approved I’m told only would be available at a cost surcharge above those options listed cost, so there’s that too.
Karl
Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Let me jump in here...I was working a PTS Spyder for a couple of months and eventually dropped out.

If you go PTS, you can throw out anything on the normal configurator that is painted.
I could go on, but I think you get the point.
They ought to publish the costs, procedures, and limitations up front. Lots of emails between my SA and Porsche exclusive and flip flops.

Good luck!
Thanks for clarifications, guys! Somehow, I can understand why Porsche doesn't want to mess with things like painting the interior parts (or mirrors) in PTS color, unless they've made sure that the particular paint works in that particular context as well (reason for certification etc, especially if these parts of the process are outsourced to suppliers). However, I do not understand, why the have to make a problem out of having your aero kit painted in black after selecting a PTS color (since I don't think they will first paint it in that PTS color, or even if they did, they'd have to sand it out and put a new primer on top)? With common sense, it should be no different case to any regular color. Oh, well... What do I know about German engineering... Clearly, they have some issues in the process that they yet have to figure out! I guess the learning is that if one really wants to do a PTS color, then they should not select any other options involving painting... Now I can't help but wonder what kind of other easter eggs the whole PTS process contains...

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 10-27-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:39 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Not knowing much about the process I think they may make PTS so exclusive and difficult to ensure efficient production maybe. If a PTS car required additional time in say mixing of paint and chemicals to match that specific color and additional expertise then it may take additional time on the production line which they wish to keep at a minimum maybe? Thus the added costs for their time and loss in production maybe since they are considering it a custom built car and are doing larger numbers than others which may more easily accomodate them like Rolls Royce or Ferrari maybe or Aston Martin or McLauren maybe. Just a thought.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:41 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I went with a PTS car several years ago (997S Cabriolet) and it was complicated by (1) it was a factory delivery and (2) it was still early in the 997 days so they were very hesitant to do a lot of colors in PTS. I had to wait over 9 months to get the car. Porsche can be a PITA but as you're an old Porsche guy, you already know that. Stick to your guns (which I did) and eventually it will work out. They are clearly pricing PTS ridiculously so as to keep the majority of buyers from considering it. I think it's really unfortunate as Porsche has some terrific colors and a great paint shop there in Zuffenhausen. Hang in there and good luck!
Old 10-31-2020, 03:26 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Dan,
Thank you for the encouragement! While instant gratification is always nice, as this is the only time I'm doing this, I'm committed to holding out for what I want, which was Miami Blue and now since that's not available has to be PTS in something similar (probably Riviera) or something not so similar but which looks really good to me (Oslo). The fall back if this takes forever, is seeing what Shark looks like. The rumor mill (separate thread) seems to imply it is (or is similar to) VW's cornflower blue, which could work, if unlike most information on the interweb, there's any fact to it.
Best,
Karl
Old 10-31-2020, 04:07 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by svkarl
Dan,
Thank you for the encouragement! While instant gratification is always nice, as this is the only time I'm doing this, I'm committed to holding out for what I want, which was Miami Blue and now since that's not available has to be PTS in something similar (probably Riviera) or something not so similar but which looks really good to me (Oslo). The fall back if this takes forever, is seeing what Shark looks like. The rumor mill (separate thread) seems to imply it is (or is similar to) VW's cornflower blue, which could work, if unlike most information on the interweb, there's any fact to it.
Best,
Karl
Yeah, shark blue could be awesome. It should be introduced soon since Miami Blue is out of production. I was hot to do Miami Blue on this one as well, but I’ve had so many blue cars and my bimmer is blue, so after hours in the configurator, went with aventurine green. It’s great and love it, but the next one is going to be a bright color. I saw a 992 in yellow and looked awesome, but probably viper green or shark blue. PTS would be a stretch for me. I am a visual learner - need to see it first.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:13 PM
hrd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Yeah, shark blue could be awesome. It should be introduced soon since Miami Blue is out of production. I was hot to do Miami Blue on this one as well, but I’ve had so many blue cars and my bimmer is blue, so after hours in the configurator, went with aventurine green. It’s great and love it, but the next one is going to be a bright color. I saw a 992 in yellow and looked awesome, but probably viper green or shark blue. PTS would be a stretch for me. I am a visual learner - need to see it first.
I find the yellow on this one looks especially nice. The video is in 1080p.

Quick Reply: Miami Blue and PTS