Sponsored by:

High End Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 08:29 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts
Default High End Aftermarket Stereo

I have hesitated to inquire with the group about this because most will say the 992 is a sports car that is naturally noisy, about 71 DB according to Harry's Garage. I already have the Bose system and it is, quite frankly, underwhelming. The Burmester is not that great, if you consult with people who know car audio.
So, I am considering this outrageously expensive aftermarket stereo. Nothing definitive yet. Would love critique, good and bad

Of course, it would be more appropriate to consider such a system for a Cayenne or Macan. Or the all Electric Taycan.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:51 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting, I subscribed, please post a review once you do it, (if you get it)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:07 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

$14k? I figured half that but then again, I don’t know the super high-end audio market. I do know that you should consult Musicar Northwest as well. Huge fan of Dynaudio. I had MNW’s tweeter upgrade for the 991 and it transformed the Bose system in the 991. The OEM tweeters are garbage. MNW use Dynaudio Esoterics. Fantastic quality product.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 12:38 PM
kencalz
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like they are using quality components and sound insulation throughout so I get the $14k. I like how they tell you exactly what they are putting in the car. 2 slim 10 inch woofers will make a huge difference vs. one small woofer stuck in the firewall. The amps/speaker combo should drastically reduce the distortion/harshness I felt when you push the Bose system. Just FYI - I was quoted $7k from Reus Audio and $12k for the Musicar 992 upgrade.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:40 PM
kencalz
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My C2S on order is optioned with Burmester but never heard it until yesterday in a demo C2S cab. It was kind of underwhelming (maybe the hardtop w/ noise insulating glass will sound better as I expected a little more for $5k especially in the bass department) so may look to upgrade the sub as time goes on..
Old 10-24-2020, 02:23 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

Having sold high end audio when I was young, and still have maintained interest in high end sound, I have found the Bose in my Cayenne to be almost abysmal. Burmester is better, but it still not great. I would guess that if you bought your Burmester car, you'd be disappointed. A high end audio systems designer that I know told me that he was not surprised when he looked at Burmester's auto components he found them to be slightly better than most of the rest, but far from something to talk about. There must be a way to install a knock your socks off sound system in a Cayenne for less than half of $14k, and it would blow the Burmester away. Best in car system I have heard recently is in a Tesla.

Also, keep in mind that the auto manufacturer asks the audio manufacturer for a system at a certain budget. The Bose system in my wife's Panamera is better than mine. When you look at the price difference in the vehicles, they can pay Bose more for the Panamera system ( it has an extra set of speakers and cabin environment may help as well)

I love music, and I have come to terms with it s what it is. Porsche should care more about audio....but they don't. The brand loyalty is so strong that audio is irrelevant.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:24 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

The problem is the listening space. The challenge is EQ and sound treatment much moreso than speakers. I’d ask if you could listen in another 992 they’ve equipped. If someone loved their work they’d likely agree to demo. If they haven’t done a 992 before I’d want to know why they think they can execute here. If they have but customers won’t agree to demo I’d be concerned. Simply liberally insulating would help with distortion but eat your sound.
rk-d (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:33 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Having sold high end audio when I was young, and still have maintained interest in high end sound, I have found the Bose in my Cayenne to be almost abysmal. Burmester is better, but it still not great. I would guess that if you bought your Burmester car, you'd be disappointed. A high end audio systems designer that I know told me that he was not surprised when he looked at Burmester's auto components he found them to be slightly better than most of the rest, but far from something to talk about. There must be a way to install a knock your socks off sound system in a Cayenne for less than half of $14k, and it would blow the Burmester away. Best in car system I have heard recently is in a Tesla.

Also, keep in mind that the auto manufacturer asks the audio manufacturer for a system at a certain budget. The Bose system in my wife's Panamera is better than mine. When you look at the price difference in the vehicles, they can pay Bose more for the Panamera system ( it has an extra set of speakers and cabin environment may help as well)

I love music, and I have come to terms with it s what it is. Porsche should care more about audio....but they don't. The brand loyalty is so strong that audio is irrelevant.
I have a 2020 Cayenne and after Bose messing have found an optimization that’s unconventional but overall improves things significantly. Fader -7. In my Cayenne that shifts as much to the rear as possible before voices drift to the back. Distortion dives, separation and imaging comes alive and I now need less Advil when listening for prolonged periods. You just have to pretend the band is behind you like you’re sitting at a bar talking to a bartender as the band plays to your rear. I started thinking about human ear physiology and suspect taping your ears to your head will further enhance this. The more one’s ears protrude, the greater the effect. Those are the fixes I’ve come up with so far.

Sorry for the drift.
dgtarga (06-12-2021)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,540 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Wow, 14k.

Makes the Burmester seem like a bargain bin find at WalMart.

I don't want to make this into a value thread. But, for anyone going aftermarket to upgrade their stereo system in the 911, just be aware that this will significantly impair your resale value. While the aftermarket system may be an upgrade over the OEM set up, most buyers will want the OEM setup -- be it base, Bose or Burmester.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:42 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
... I now need less Advil when listening for prolonged periods ...
Ha ha, that's quite the recommendation! :-)
Old 10-24-2020, 04:59 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kencalz
Sounds like they are using quality components and sound insulation throughout so I get the $14k. I like how they tell you exactly what they are putting in the car. 2 slim 10 inch woofers will make a huge difference vs. one small woofer stuck in the firewall. The amps/speaker combo should drastically reduce the distortion/harshness I felt when you push the Bose system. Just FYI - I was quoted $7k from Reus Audio and $12k for the Musicar 992 upgrade.
You quote Reus Audio and Musicar . Where are these installers ? I'm in Ohio.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:25 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Wow, 14k.

Makes the Burmester seem like a bargain bin find at WalMart.

I don't want to make this into a value thread. But, for anyone going aftermarket to upgrade their stereo system in the 911, just be aware that this will significantly impair your resale value. While the aftermarket system may be an upgrade over the OEM set up, most buyers will want the OEM setup -- be it base, Bose or Burmester.
There is a custom coacheorks company near me that does lots of high end cars, including audio upgrades. Pretty much every system they install is completely reversible back to stock for the very reason you mention.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:42 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

My review...transformative !
The results are absolutely remarkable. Considering the original noise of the car 78 decibels and the confined space, the results better my efforts on my considerably larger and quieter BMW M550 i.
With full insulation, the decibel reading is 69.

a plug for the installer
Old 05-31-2021, 04:47 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
My review...transformative !
The results are absolutely remarkable. Considering the original noise of the car 78 decibels and the confined space, the results better my efforts on my considerably larger and quieter BMW M550 i.
With full insulation, the decibel reading is 69.

a plug for the installer
Can you share the details of exactly what was done in the installation?
Old 05-31-2021, 04:49 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
I have a 2020 Cayenne and after Bose messing have found an optimization that’s unconventional but overall improves things significantly. Fader -7. In my Cayenne that shifts as much to the rear as possible before voices drift to the back. Distortion dives, separation and imaging comes alive and I now need less Advil when listening for prolonged periods. You just have to pretend the band is behind you like you’re sitting at a bar talking to a bartender as the band plays to your rear. I started thinking about human ear physiology and suspect taping your ears to your head will further enhance this. The more one’s ears protrude, the greater the effect. Those are the fixes I’ve come up with so far.

Sorry for the drift.
Sounds like you have a real understanding of high end aftermarket installs.
I would like your opinion of mine.

vactor (06-11-2021)

Quick Reply: High End Aftermarket Stereo