Sponsored by:

High End Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 06:25 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Sounds like you have a real understanding of high end aftermarket installs.
I would like your opinion of mine.
If I gave that impression, I apologize. I have practically no knowledge or experience modifying car audio. I’ve only done it once and that was a simple speaker change on a two speaker system when I was in college. I went from truly laughable OEM in a Subaru to something a little more tolerable but in no way exceptional.

Where I have experience is with live music, playing and whining to the sound guy, along with well intended home audio that lets me feel as though I can reproduce music the way the artist, producer and sound engineer intended, whatever that is. It’s a subjective labyrinth. That said, there are some things that are fairly useful and universal that bring some objectivity to a place starving for it. When we’re talking about reproduction at a high level, it’s really difficult for anybody to hear when sound is optimized or even improved. What might be an actual objective improvement can sound awful subjectively until one’s ears adjust. Fortunately within the last 15 years systems that utilize a microphone to hear the sound in a listening space and then graphically plot audible octaves on a computer screen have come down to a price level making them a logical and necessary ingredient in producing high end sound. Many of those options also EQ the sound using digital filtering to help bring sound in a space close to generally accepted sound curves which largely take octave neutrality and adjust them for gain. Add the two together and you take some of the subjectivity out of tweaking and listening.

The other area of overlap is sound treatment. No listening space is perfect. Virtually all can be helped by treatments that tame bass and strengthen or weaken resonance. So looking at your car dissection, it appears your mods include a healthy dose of both. I didn’t recognize what was playing on the laptop but it seems to be the sort of measuring and EQ I was describing above. It’s a tall order in a 992. You have primary speakers firing into door bins, secondary speakers firing into you, your mate and your windshield and 80+ dB of background noise while trying to listen at about 90-95 dB except those blow it out sessions when you might get to 105 dB for a few minutes. Hopefully not much longer as at those levels we damage our hearing permanently if we go too long. Anyways, the foregoing challenges are why I haven’t dived into car audio. That’s not to say what you’re doing won’t produce awesome results.

You might get very specific info on exactly what your guy measured, what he modified and why. Perhaps you already have. I would hope and expect he could address these things in great detail. If he has before and after sound curves from the driver’s listening position I’d love to see them.
The following users liked this post:
CMAC-SD (06-02-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:03 PM
vactor
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have a real understanding of high end aftermarket installs.
I would like your opinion of mine.

DAMN!! illusion audio and audiofrog and JL vx amps and full sound deadening??? i bet this think kicks holy ***!!! who did this install ? this is about as high end and beastly an install as one could possibly do in a 911. about $6k in stuff and another 4$k in labor, or less. you got a true _keeper_ of a setup there. those JL amps are amazing and AF mids and tweets are no joke. outstanding !!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

this thread makes me sad.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
dgtarga (06-12-2021), ImpliedPlot712 (06-12-2021), jnkirk1974 (06-12-2021), mdrobc1213 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 04:32 AM
mattex
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have hesitated to inquire with the group about this because most will say the 992 is a sports car that is naturally noisy, about 71 DB according to Harry's Garage. I already have the Bose system and it is, quite frankly, underwhelming. The Burmester is not that great, if you consult with people who know car audio.
So, I am considering this outrageously expensive aftermarket stereo. Nothing definitive yet. Would love critique, good and bad

Of course, it would be more appropriate to consider such a system for a Cayenne or Macan. Or the all Electric Taycan.
I have recently had installed to following into 992 CS2
- Zen Audio toslink
- Audison F8.9 bit DSP/8 ch amp
- Audison sub/amp
- Dynaudio esotec mid, MD102 tweeter and Morel 8
inch woofer.

sounds well balanced with incredible detail. Huge improvement over factory Bose. The Audison DSP sits in place of the factory amp so everything is concealed. Sub/Amp sits on rear parcel shelf and is easily removed if desired.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:14 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 235 Posts

I like the look of the installation.

I trade for a new Porsche every 2-3 years so the $14K adds to the value of the car. If I kept the 911, I'd be all over the $14K stereo.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:12 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Wow, 14k.

Makes the Burmester seem like a bargain bin find at WalMart.

I don't want to make this into a value thread. But, for anyone going aftermarket to upgrade their stereo system in the 911, just be aware that this will significantly impair your resale value. While the aftermarket system may be an upgrade over the OEM set up, most buyers will want the OEM setup -- be it base, Bose or Burmester.
I understand that, potentially, my upgrades will be a problem when I sell the car, but..
I plan on keeping this car, till I die...T...DIET ! Not much chance of that ! Where are my hoho's ?
Old 06-20-2021, 05:00 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 459 Posts

I understand that, potentially, my upgrades will be a problem when I sell the car, but..
I plan on keeping this car, till I die...T...DIET ! Not much chance of that ! Where are my hoho's ?
Hope so as that is a serious upgrade and $14k definitely will not be recouped by any dealer on trade likely. So enjoy the hell out of it man! Hope it was worth it and the sound change is phenomenal.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:35 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Wow, 14k.

Makes the Burmester seem like a bargain bin find at WalMart.

I don't want to make this into a value thread. But, for anyone going aftermarket to upgrade their stereo system in the 911, just be aware that this will significantly impair your resale value. While the aftermarket system may be an upgrade over the OEM set up, most buyers will want the OEM setup -- be it base, Bose or Burmester.
i understand people not wanting to pay for the upgrade. I also understand if someone made it just too much bass or like some punk kid's car you can hear a mile away. THAT makes sense. but I'm assuming people don't do that to 911s - it's about better sound quality and clarity. So why would that be a turn off? Assuming he would sell it w/o an "upcharge", why do people prefer to buy one with a stock system if price is equal? Honest question...

Quick Reply: High End Aftermarket Stereo