Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[EDMUNDS] Porsche 911 vs. Shelby GT500 vs. Chevy Corvette ― Sports Car Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 12:47 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

All such different cars and so fun in their own rights!
Old 09-26-2020, 02:09 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

My wife would move to the spare bedroom and my son disown me if I ever bought a C8 or a Shelby. They both sound OK (if you like throwback V8 noises) but otherwise tend to elicit more voyeuristic curiosity than real enthusiasm from anyone but marque and model faithful and pandering “journalists.”

Given a completely blank sheet of paper, GM designed a car that looks like the committees in charge of various external elements just gave up (“Fine, put your Camaro rear end on it; we’re NOT giving up our side gills, and Bubba’s whole team is in talks with Gerry Wiegert to use the front clip on the Vector W9 If they don’t get the nod). Inside, the C8 looks like someone dusted off an artist’s rendering from a 1970’s Popular Mechanics story promising “The mid-engine Corvette is REALLY coming“ and charged 6 geeks in a basement to build it using hobbyist 3D printers “Look Mitch...I made a square steering wheel to go with your 68-button centre console. Neato huh?”

Ford should be absolutely ashamed that a car with that much power is only marginally quicker than a BASE 992 with 379 ponies. I guess if your performance target is simply shattering 60s and ‘70s Detroit muscle car performance, the idea of buying a 911 to serve as the European benchmark and disassembling it to get a clue about what the rest of the world has been up to the past 50 years wouldn’t be front of mind. I thought I had blocked off the memory in my subconscious, but the Shelby interior looks almost exactly like the innards of the rental car I picked up in Houston pre-COVID, which caused me to wonder aloud every 100 miles or so what would possess anyone to buy something so crudely designed and badly built. I will give credit where due for not completely screwing up the exterior of the Shelby like GM did with the C8. It looks like what the proletariat expects a Mustang to look like, and will undoubtedly cause a few eyebrows to raise and mouths to pucker in whispered “ooohs” at the MacDonalds drive-through.

Yep, a base 992 costs oodles more than the C8 and the Shelby and by the numbers offers about equivalent performance. Numbers aside, there is no comparison when it comes to build quality and the driving experience. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs IMO when the best that two American manufacturers with unlimited design and development resources can do is not get clobbered by the entry-level 911 in a performance car shootout.

Last edited by gcurnew; 09-26-2020 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
356to992 (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 01:30 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by kilster
Perhaps this chart is more intuitive. I am surprised that the Corvette is doing better than the 911 in depreciation. Perhaps the lower initial starting price helps given its hp/$ ratio with improving quality and driving experience, starting from the C7/C8 generations. CarGurus has a similar service, but I like caredge, which I didn't know about.
The way I read the charts, the higher numbers correspond to higher (worse) depreciation. Going by the second chart, a 2013 Corvette has lost ~58% of its value, while a 2013 991 has lost ~42% of its value. But yeah, the fact that it starts out at 100% at the left doesn't make any sense. Either the data is wrong or the scale is, because on this planet Corvettes depreciate like a falling rock.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 09-27-2020 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:31 AM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The way I read the charts, the higher numbers correspond to higher (worse) depreciation. Going by the second chart, a 2013 Corvette has lost ~58% of its value, while a 2013 991 has lost ~42% of its value. But yeah, the fact that it starts out at 100% at the left doesn't make any sense. Either the data is wrong or the scale is, because on this planet Corvettes depreciate like a falling rock.
No, I think higher numbers are better. That’s the only way the chart makes sense, or else 2019 cars would have lost more value.

As for Corvettes specifically, there was an article about how C5 Corvettes don’t get driven, bought, or sold and a video from Doug Tabbutt talking about how Corvettes are hard to buy and sell:

Asking prices stay high because most sellers are not motivated and there is a huge bid-ask spread in the market. I am not surprised if the C6 and C7s are behaving similarly.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:05 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

He does have an interesting point about Porsches being driven while Corvettes are collected. If you compare 100K-mile 996s to 30K mile C5s and 50K-mile 997s to 15K-mile C6s, you can see how an age-based depreciation plot might make the Porsches look worse.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:22 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Correct, the second chart shows how much value is retained so higher is better. Corvettes do not depreciate like a rock. In general, lower price cars hold their value better (as a % of starting price) than cheaper cars.

The 911 holds its value very well compared to other $100K+ cars, not compared to cheaper cars.

​​​​​
Old 09-30-2020, 06:27 PM
SZ992
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Agreed, 911 depreciation vs cheaper cars is not that notable. However, it holds its value really well compared to similar priced cars. That chart compared to an S-class or BMW M6/8 would look very different.
​​​​
THIS. THANK YOU. I'm still laughing that we're comparing american cars to Porsche. You can't compare apples and oranges. You can compare a mustang to a camaro, but mustang to a porsche is a completely different thing
The following users liked this post:
phila12180 (10-01-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:52 AM
LC200
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Really disappointed that the Base 992 doesn’t come with an MT. Selling my 991.1 manual Base was my biggest regret.

Didn’t realize Porsche wouldn’t bring it back for the 992.

It’s what has kept me from ordering one for the time being.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:16 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by LC200
Really disappointed that the Base 992 doesn’t come with an MT. Selling my 991.1 manual Base was my biggest regret.

Didn’t realize Porsche wouldn’t bring it back for the 992.

It’s what has kept me from ordering one for the time being.
Yeah gonna have to bite the bullet and move up to the Carrera S for the manual as nothing present or planned to bring the manual back to the Carrera base for MY21 or MY22 right now. They may announce the GTS in the fall or possibly the Carrera T in the next 12-24 mos which MAY add the manual but so far nothing for base cars from my SA and others I've spoken to. SIlence from Porsche AG also as other things they are working on are bringing the 992 GT cars into the lineup also. Sorry.

Quick Reply: [EDMUNDS] Porsche 911 vs. Shelby GT500 vs. Chevy Corvette ― Sports Car Comparison