Sponsored by:

Phone mount/holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 03:47 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by brockbr
This is I what I designed and made for my iPhone. It's an Apple MagSafe charger, with the wiring hidden in the center console. Installs in about 30 seconds.

Two things:
1) Anyone saying "I just don't get why you don't put it in the console" simple doesn't understand the convenience of single-handedly placing your phone onto a magnetic mount that self-centers and charges.
2) As for modifying the console with the mount - I ordered a replacement trim piece first. This way I can put it back to stock in literally seconds.
Great idea -- that will even work for manuals, it seems, since it's so low profile. I think I'll wind up with this approach when mine comes in.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:08 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Great idea -- that will even work for manuals, it seems, since it's so low profile. I think I'll wind up with this approach when mine comes in.
The problem w/ a manual is that side piece next to the shifter is very narrow compared to cars w/ PDK so you wont be able to get a big round magsafe charger installed there. Plus, it would interfere w/ shifting, particularly as the gate is wider due to the 7th gear. I looked for phone mount options for a manual 992 and ended up w/ this
floor mounted arm mount from amazon floor mounted arm mount from amazon
. Works great and doesn't interfere w/ shifting, doesn't interfere with any buttons or controls or with AC vents:

Notice how skinny the plastic trim piece is next to the manual shift lever. Arm is mounted to the bolt holding the front of the seat in place:

Shift lever in 7th gear here...

Last edited by AlterZgo; 01-07-2022 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brianja (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 05:33 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
The problem w/ a manual is that side piece next to the shifter is very narrow compared to cars w/ PDK so you wont be able to get a big round magsafe charger installed there. Plus, it would interfere w/ shifting, particularly as the gate is wider due to the 7th gear. I looked for phone mount options for a manual 992 and ended up w/ this floor mounted arm mount from amazon. Works great and doesn't interfere w/ shifting, doesn't interfere with any buttons or controls or with AC vents:

Notice how skinny the plastic trim piece is next to the manual shift lever. Arm is mounted to the bolt holding the front of the seat in place:

Shift lever in 7th gear here...
This is exactly the problem I've been wrestling with for my 7MT car. This is a neat solution. Considering the length of that arm, how much does it bounce around during driving and is it strong enough that you could actually interact with the phone without removing it?
Old 01-07-2022, 05:40 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brianja
This is exactly the problem I've been wrestling with for my 7MT car. This is a neat solution. Considering the length of that arm, how much does it bounce around during driving and is it strong enough that you could actually interact with the phone without removing it?
The arm is not very flexible at all and is quite stiff. I also added a small U bracket that slides under the side plastic trim along the center tunnel and have that U bracket zip tied to the arm so it moves even less. While it does shake a bit, in regular day to day driving and usage, i don't notice it at all. Yes, you can interact w/ the phone w/o issues.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:47 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
The arm is not very flexible at all and is quite stiff. I also added a small U bracket that slides under the side plastic trim along the center tunnel and have that U bracket zip tied to the arm so it moves even less. While it does shake a bit, in regular day to day driving and usage, i don't notice it at all. Yes, you can interact w/ the phone w/o issues.
That sounds like just what I need. If it isn't too much trouble, would you be able to snap a quick photo of your intermediary support solution? I don't think it is present (or isn't visible) in the photos you put up. Thanks for blazing this trail for us MT owners!
Old 01-07-2022, 07:50 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brianja
That sounds like just what I need. If it isn't too much trouble, would you be able to snap a quick photo of your intermediary support solution? I don't think it is present (or isn't visible) in the photos you put up. Thanks for blazing this trail for us MT owners!
OK... fake news. I *thought* I used a U shaped bracket, but didn't actually have one so I McGyvered it with an L shaped bracket. Yeah, looks janky AF but that's with the seat back. With the seat in the normal position, it's not noticeable at all... probably why I forgot all about it. Now that I know I'm going to look for something a little more befitting of these awesome cars.

The kit also comes with brackets that you can screw into the side panels if you don't mind putting in some screw holes. If you did that, that arm ain't moving at all. But, I prefer the less permanent solution with a little bit of flex. Again, after using this for months, I don't notice it at all anymore and it feels no different than in my other cars where my phone mounts are super stiff with no flex.

Janky bracket totally hidden with seat in normal position.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:42 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

lol def janky af — how does that affect passenger seat comfort - any knee interference?
Old 01-07-2022, 08:50 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dhirm5
lol def janky af — how does that affect passenger seat comfort - any knee interference?
It doesn't bother me at all and I sit in the passenger seat quite often when my son drives. I don't recall ever bumping the arm, though I'm sure I can hit it with my knee if I wanted to.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:06 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

I got this one from amazon. Works well. I like to have the phone in easy eye shot because as nice as the navigation is in the car, i found that its not great at giving me alternate routes based on traffic. Having google maps running has saved me from traffic jams when the navigation was telling me to stay on route and would have kept me stuck.

vanva Universal Air Vent Car Mount
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by achilleas101; 01-08-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:28 PM
ShahulX
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
Please consider T-Design9! Our company developed a range of phone holders specifically for 991. They all provide secure, easy, ergonomic, one hand use solution. They all designed for spirited driving that people buy 991 for! Can be quickly installed with no damage to the interior.

We have universal mechanical holder, magnetic, and magnetic charging holders. Our magnetic holders use very serious magnets and technology that nobody else in the industry uses

Wireless charging (it shows 981, but it installs in the same place in 991)

Magnetic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVn8BiHKwIs

Universal/mechanical

anyone try this one before? secure if it just fits between the trim pieces of the car?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:34 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 142 Posts

This is nice looking but unfortunately it is in the 992 thread and is nothing like the 991. I might've missed it but I did not see anything for a 992 on your site
AlterZgo (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:03 PM
ibopm
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by achilleas101
I got this one from amazon. Works well. I like to have the phone in easy eye shot because as nice as the navigation is in the car, i found that its not great at giving me alternate routes based on traffic. Having google maps running has saved me from traffic jams when the navigation was telling me to stay on route and would have kept me stuck.

vanva Universal Air Vent Car Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0927D8S51

In my opinion, this is the ideal location for a phone in a car, because you can maintain very good peripheral vision on the road even when you're looking at the phone. My only gripe is that it'll heat up the phone if hot air is coming out behind it. Maybe a suction mount on the bottom left corner on the windshield would be ideal.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:26 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Why is any of this necessary with Apple Car Play or Android Auto?
German1967 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:50 PM
brockbr
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Why is any of this necessary with Apple Car Play or Android Auto?
It's been said in this thread, but here it is condensed:
1) CarPlay uses a lot of battery. If you do a drive more than 45 minutes, you're going to want your phone charging
2) Secondary screens on the phone being visible - Waze, Maps, Music Apps etc.

Go Bruins (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 05:42 PM
ShahulX
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also Im an android user so I need it mounted

Quick Reply: Phone mount/holder