Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race tex alcantara steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021 | 07:14 PM
GrussGott
Track Day

Originally Posted by WestBank
My intervention is done about once a month and consists of Sonax cleaner and so far so good for the last 2 years.
Bumping this thread as I'm considering an alcantara wheel and have asked around and heard the horror stories ... it would seem @WestBank has it right: if you get Alcantara you have to take care of it.

Great video on taking care of it from Obsessed Garage:

Net-net seems like it's less recovering and more care

Last edited by GrussGott; 03-30-2021 at 07:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrussGott:
balucipher (01-14-2023), SBAD (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021 | 01:52 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

It seems like many of the folks that are against alcantara are people that have not experienced it first hand. My car was a 2016 GTS and the steering wheel looked brand new after 5 years . No special care was required. I wasn't eating fried chicken in the car, but I don't think many people do. I loved the feel of it and am speccing it in my 2022.
The following 3 users liked this post by 991.1 Guy:
AlexCeres (03-31-2021), SBAD (03-31-2021), sweylo (03-31-2021)
Old 04-01-2021 | 01:59 PM
aquanaut
Racer

I LOVE it. I have had an alcantara wheel in every car I've owned over the past 6 years and find it very easy to keep clean. I do not have sweaty/oily hands though, which I thinik helps. Leather wheels will wear as well from the oils, they just get shiny, I hate that look just as much so I'd be very particular about taking care of my steering wheel regardless of what material I chose. The Porsche steering wheel also isn't very thick, so I find that the Race Tex wheel feels a bit more "premium" for whatever that's worth.
Old 04-01-2021 | 10:25 PM
SBAD
Pro

I researched alcantara too and decided that as long as you take care of it (clean it and avoid greasy hands) it is worth it. I just added the alcantara steering wheel and center console rest to my C2S build that locks in 3 weeks. The interior is basic black and this should accent nicely.
Old 04-03-2021 | 11:58 AM
Spartan King
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBAD
I researched alcantara too and decided that as long as you take care of it (clean it and avoid greasy hands) it is worth it. I just added the alcantara steering wheel and center console rest to my C2S build that locks in 3 weeks. The interior is basic black and this should accent nicely.
I agree 100%. From all my research, if you take care of it you will have no problems. I also have chosen the Race-Tex steering wheel in addition to the headliner and sunshades on my upcoming build, which I believe locks in a few more weeks. I have owned other sports cars with Alcantara on door panels and such and never had an issue. The non-touched surfaces stay new looking pretty much indefinitely. If you clean your interior at least every six months and use a quality Alcantara cleaner on the wheel it will stay nice and supple for a long time to come. It's worth the slightly extra effort for the lavish feel it provides under my hands.

Last edited by Spartan King; 04-03-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Race tex alcantara steering wheel