Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low speed clunking on the PDK (992 C2S)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 02:58 PM
Zkalra
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Low speed clunking on the PDK (992 C2S)

So when coming up to a crawling stop from second to first gear in auto and normal driving mode my 992 C2S' PDK makes a distinct clunking sound that can also be felt, albeit mildly. All upshifts are buttery smooth and apart from at low speeds there is no clanking/clunking on any gear. Is this normal? I also read that some throttle body reset procedure resets this and it goes away?!? Is that true? Any software update can possibly help?
Old 09-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 218 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Zkalra
So when coming up to a crawling stop from second to first gear in auto and normal driving mode my 992 C2S' PDK makes a distinct clunking sound that can also be felt, albeit mildly. All upshifts are buttery smooth and apart from at low speeds there is no clanking/clunking on any gear. Is this normal? I also read that some throttle body reset procedure resets this and it goes away?!? Is that true? Any software update can possibly help?
If a car comes into our shop with that type of complaint-

First step is to do a PDK adaption with the factory tool. If it passes the adaption then the transmission is considered to be working properly. If luck is on our side we will test drive the car again and the problem would be gone.

If the adaption failed then we would look at the PDK. We would start with a fluid change and would check the fluid that came out to see if it contain any metallic debris. We would also smell some fluid to make sure it does not smell burnt.

These are the basics to start this diagnosis.

Narrowing it down from there will make figuring out out much easier.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
The following users liked this post:
Zkalra (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Zkalra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
If a car comes into our shop with that type of complaint-

First step is to do a PDK adaption with the factory tool. If it passes the adaption then the transmission is considered to be working properly. If luck is on our side we will test drive the car again and the problem would be gone.

If the adaption failed then we would look at the PDK. We would start with a fluid change and would check the fluid that came out to see if it contain any metallic debris. We would also smell some fluid to make sure it does not smell burntt......
Thanks for the detailed info. Will share this with my local workshop. But in general is this a 'normal' sound/feature?
Old 09-17-2020, 03:34 PM
540gone
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 76 Posts

My 992 (Feb 2020 build) does not have this issue, but my wife's 2018 Panamera (which also has the 8-speed PDK) had the identical issue you describe when it was new. After a few months of driving, I called my SA & he told me there was a software update available - took it in for that update and much improved ever since. You might want to check.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:36 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Just a thought . . . I wonder if what you are feeling/hearing is the engine shutting off. On a deceleration coast (not touching the gas pedal, engine at operating temperature, more than a few minutes since last started by you) the engine control system is designed to shut the engine off and put the PDK gearbox in neutral as you coast down past 8 mph. Part of the Auto Start Stop programming. If you pass this 8 mph line and you so much as touch the gas pedal the whole process reverses. The engine restarts and the transmission engages first gear. Some combination of these scenarios might well be felt as you are describing. You may want to try disabling this "feature" and see if what you are experiencing goes away. According to Porsche (see attached): "The Auto Start Stop function is not available in the following situations: – SPORT/SPORT PLUS driving programmes active." Maybe try running in the Sport or Sport Plus Mode and see if the problem goes away?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Auto Start Stop - OPS.pdf (39.6 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-17-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:51 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Is this your first DCT in a vehicle?
Old 09-17-2020, 04:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,538 Likes on 5,062 Posts

Have you driven other 992 with PDK?

Do they exhibit the same behavior, or no?

I ask because based on your description it may be something entirely normal -- since "clunking sound" could be almost anything or nothing, especially if it's "mild" (Also, as an aside, how do you feel a clunking sound, especially one that is mild?)
Old 09-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Zkalra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 540gone
My 992 (Feb 2020 build) does not have this issue, but my wife's 2018 Panamera (which also has the 8-speed PDK) had the identical issue you describe when it was new. After a few months of driving, I called my SA & he told me there was a software update available - took it in for that update and much improved ever since. You might want to check.
thanks. Will send it in on Monday. I also think this could be the issue potentially.

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Just a thought . . . I wonder if what you are feeling/hearing is the engine shutting off. On a deceleration coast (not touching the gas pedal, engine at operating temperature, more than a few minutes since last started by you) the engine control system is designed to shut the engine off and put the PDK gearbox in neutral as you coast down past 8 mph. Part of the Auto Start Stop programming. If you pass this 8 mph line and you so much as touch the gas pedal the whole process reverses. The engine restarts and the transmission engages first gear. Some combination of these scenarios might well be felt as you are describing. You may want to try disabling this "feature" and see if what you are experiencing goes away. According to Porsche (see attached): "The Auto Start Stop function is not available in the following situations: – SPORT/SPORT PLUS driving programmes active." Maybe try running in the Sport or Sport Plus Mode and see if the problem goes away?
the first thing I do is turn off auto start stop as soon as I start the car.

Originally Posted by JasonVW
Is this your first DCT in a vehicle?
Fifth. Apart from my 991.1 no other car with a DCT has exhibited this.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Have you driven other 992 with PDK?

Do they exhibit the same behavior, or no?

I ask because based on your description it may be something entirely normal -- since "clunking sound" could be almost anything or nothing, especially if it's "mild" (Also, as an aside, how do you feel a clunking sound, especially one that is mild?)
yes several. I also feel it could be a feature or ‘virtue’ of the DCT.

Quick Reply: Low speed clunking on the PDK (992 C2S)