Sponsored by:

Things that I miss that are standard on less expensive cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 08:08 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
I read somewhere that current HUD systems doesn’t work when the windscreen angle is too raked, since it relies on the image being reflected By the windscreen glass.
I think you read it here. The "windshield angle" thing is a Rennlist-created myth. Take a look at the rake of the Corvette windshield (especially the new one) and you'll see that HUD is integrated very nicely.

Last edited by hinckley; 09-09-2020 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
msmacan (09-19-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:18 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I don't want stuff like Lane Assist. But I do want everyone else driving around me to have it. With a 911, less is more.
LexVan, I agree with at least 95% of everything you post, but not this one. What sets Porsche apart - and the reason I've driven 911s for 20+ years - is that they do everything well. No compromises. That's not to say they're perfect, but they're pretty damn close. True sports car handling. Luxury. Technology. Daily driver reliability.

Personally, I have no interest in cars like Lambos and Ferraris. No one can own "only" a Lambo or Ferrari. $250k and no DD reliability. No thanks. There's nothing charming about expensive cars requiring high maintenance in 2020.

fwiw, I don't want Lane Keep Assist on any car. It's a "feature" I don't even understand. Really? You're worried about veering out of lane? Otoh, Lane Change Assist should be on every car, just like airbags.

Last edited by hinckley; 09-09-2020 at 08:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hinckley:
detansinn (09-09-2020), paddlefoot64 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:44 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Yes, the car is missing a few modern day creature comforts but that engine, that gearbox, that handling, that all round ability to be both a daily runabout and a weekend blaster...still sublime and thankfully so. That's why I buy 911's, the tech is nice no doubt but I do think with this latest generation that's starting to get in the way of enjoying the car for what it's really best at. Or maybe it's just that some of those things have some interesting growing pain issues, either way to me a 911 is something best taken neat. Maybe a little ice but save the garnish.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:54 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I'm not entirely sure why everyone gets bent out of shape about LKA. On the 992, it's pretty unobtrusive and gives you plenty of warning before it intervenes. It's honestly the first car that I have driven where I didn't immediately hunt down where to turn it completely off.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 AM
911-heaven
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

NO THANK YOU! I can't stand LCA...hate it on all vehicles. How about just be situationally aware. Ask yourself, how many times have you caused an accident from a lane change...for me 30+ years it is zero. I think for most people it is zero. Just pay attention.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:02 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

I'm a huge fan of Porsche's business model where owners get to pick individual options. The very LAST thing I'd want is a "Tech" or a "Premium" package with a bunch of gadgets or "upgrades" that are big negatives to me (e.g. HUD, radar guidance of any kind, leather all over the place, air-conditioned seats, sunroof, painted trim, colored gauges or seat belts etc.). In my case, the Sport Package on a 2020 C4 gave me three things I wanted (SE, SC and PTV+) but on the S it had SPASM which I'd not want on my DD 911 so wouldn't have ticked that box, and would have ended up getting SE and SC separately.

For my money, NOT having all the junk you get on other cars is one of Porsche's big drawing cards. Of course, if you let a dealer order your car they will typically load it up with a bunch of crap, but when you do a custom build you can get exactly what you want.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:26 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I'm a huge fan of Porsche's business model where owners get to pick individual options. The very LAST thing I'd want is a "Tech" or a "Premium" package with a bunch of gadgets or "upgrades" that are big negatives to me (e.g. HUD, radar guidance of any kind, leather all over the place, air-conditioned seats, sunroof, painted trim, colored gauges or seat belts etc.). In my case, the Sport Package on a 2020 C4 gave me three things I wanted (SE, SC and PTV+) but on the S it had SPASM which I'd not want on my DD 911 so wouldn't have ticked that box, and would have ended up getting SE and SC separately.

For my money, NOT having all the junk you get on other cars is one of Porsche's big drawing cards. Of course, if you let a dealer order your car they will typically load it up with a bunch of crap, but when you do a custom build you can get exactly what you want.
@gcurnew What about radar guidance a big negative to you? I do not mean my question as a challenge, I’m truly curious what about ACC you dislike. This is an option I am waffling on, so I’d appreciate your thoughts.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
@gcurnew What about radar guidance a big negative to you? I do not mean my question as a challenge, I’m truly curious what about ACC you dislike. This is an option I am waffling on, so I’d appreciate your thoughts.
I'm not about to hand over any element of car guidance to a complex set of sensors, a computer and code that were built to a consumer price point. Experiences I had with a Mercedes showed me the systems are far from foolproof and can't be trusted (an auto-parking mode scenario with textbook conditions saw the car slam in the curb severely damaging two wheels). Even if the systems could be trusted, there's a good chance I'll keep this 911 well past warranty expiration and the fewer points of potentially expensive electronic failure the better.

IMO Porsche has nailed the 992 driving experience but has significant issues making even its simple electronic systems function reliably. On my car, no-one at the dealer level can get Porsche Connect to actually connect, Comfort Aceess is flakey at best, CarPlay won't stay connected (hate Carplay so no big deal) and minor gremlins regularly pop up their heads on control screens (the latest was the button to disable auto start/stop on my home screen disappeared for a half-day, then mysteriously reappeared). I don't have much faith in the minor user-facing systems that have nothing to do with vehicle control, and would never use ACC in a car if it had it.

Last edited by gcurnew; 09-09-2020 at 10:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
atlrvr (09-09-2020), Marantz2270 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 10:58 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I'm not about to hand over any element of car guidance to a complex set of sensors, a computer and code that were built to a consumer price point. Experiences I had with a Mercedes showed me the systems are far from foolproof and can't be trusted (an auto-parking mode scenario with textbook conditions saw the car slam in the curb severely damaging two wheels). Even if the systems could be trusted, there's a good chance I'll keep this 911 well past warranty expiration and the fewer points of potentially expensive electronic failure the better.
gcurnew, we think a lot alike, and much of my thinking on this topic is based on vehicles I have owned with such systems
Old 09-09-2020, 11:39 AM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I have ACC on my car and rarely use it. I finally tried it after 3-4 months of owing the car and really liked it in rush hour traffic......works really well. Takes some getting used to it for sure!!
detansinn (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:41 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-heaven
NO THANK YOU! I can't stand LCA...hate it on all vehicles. How about just be situationally aware. Ask yourself, how many times have you caused an accident from a lane change...for me 30+ years it is zero. I think for most people it is zero. Just pay attention.
What's the big deal about LCA? It's just a little lighted triangle in the side mirrors to help monitor your blind spots. Yes, I have never run into anyone on a lane change, but I have occasionally come close and had to whip back into my lane--I find that LCA is a useful feature.

Now, LKA is a different story. This I find fairly useless and always keep it turned off--I never have any problem staying in my lane and don't need any help. It's just a precursor to an autonomous driving system that I have no interest in.
The following 3 users liked this post by HouTexCarreraS:
detansinn (09-09-2020), jcbeckman (09-11-2020), smiles11 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 01:36 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

LKA is for those that want to text & drive
The following 3 users liked this post by smiles11:
atlrvr (09-09-2020), lucycan (09-09-2020), TheStanman (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Drive one with LKA on a road that isn't perfectly straight. I tried it on the I-5 south of Irvine, CA. The best analogy I can come up with, to describe the result is "Bumper Bowling". If you engage LKA and attempt to let it to do its thing and you don't get pulled over for a complete and thorough DUI test, and a ticket for Reckless Driving at the least, I'd be extremely surprised.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:57 PM
JCH997
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

As stated above...

Because Porsche.

It's always been this way....

exactly...air conditioning that actually works, floor mats, cup holders....all eventually conceded long after lesser marques included these features and probably others I am not recalling.... Porsche eventually comes around....maybe

Last edited by JCH997; 09-09-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:13 PM
nuporsche
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes I see both sides of the argument for the cost verses convenience and comfort verses driving experience of the electronic gadgets. But how about something simple as a sun visor that extends out to fully shade the sun from the side of your face. What car does not have this feature and how much does it cost? Is this because "legacy" doesn't allow it? I mean there are two map screens on this car and one, much like the gas gage, you can't see due to the steering wheel.
wdr911 (09-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Things that I miss that are standard on less expensive cars