Sponsored by:

OBD2 Scanner Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 06:21 PM
LKCity992C2S
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD2 Scanner Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for an OBD2 scanner for the 992 that someone has actually used on a 992 and not past models. Some of the ones I viewed would not definitively say that they work on the 992.

Appreciate the info.

Last edited by LKCity992C2S; 08-10-2020 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OmniBlade (08-11-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 03:51 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

anyone with info on this?
Old 09-02-2020, 04:37 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

The thing is; what do you want your Scan Tool to be able to do? If your interest lies in reading the legislatively required consumer level Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC), the choices are almost endless and rather inexpensive as well. At the other end of the spectrum; if you want to have full access to the system on the vehicle, the availability of this sort of software and hardware, as well as its cost, can become rapidly overwhelming. This is to say nothing of the system knowledge you'd want to have before changing anything, intentionally or otherwise.

If you were to identify what is is you want to be able to do with a scan tool, it would be easier to answer your question. If it is limited to reading those legislatively required consumer level Diagnostic Trouble Codes; save yourself a lot of time, money and trouble. Purchase the least expensive one you can find that covers the model year of your Porsche. The data streams that are available at this level have not changed since 1994. What does change (at this level) is the software that each scan tool manufacturer employs to make the reading and clearing of DTC's and the reading of Monitor status consumer friendly.

Wikipedia has a fairly good explanation of the who, what, when, where and why of OBDII and the data that can be available. I've attached a link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
Old 09-02-2020, 04:48 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The thing is; what do you want your Scan Tool to be able to do? If your interest lies in reading the legislatively required consumer level Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC), the choices are almost endless and rather inexpensive as well. At the other end of the spectrum; if you want to have full access to the system on the vehicle, the availability of this sort of software and hardware, as well as its cost, can become rapidly overwhelming. This is to say nothing of the system knowledge you'd want to have before changing anything, intentionally or otherwise.

If you were to identify what is is you want to be able to do with a scan tool, it would be easier to answer your question. If it is limited to reading those legislatively required consumer level Diagnostic Trouble Codes; save yourself a lot of time, money and trouble. Purchase the least expensive one you can find that covers the model year of your Porsche. The data streams that are available at this level have not changed since 1994. What does change (at this level) is the software that each scan tool manufacturer employs to make the reading and clearing of DTC's and the reading of Monitor status consumer friendly.

Wikipedia has a fairly good explanation of the who, what, when, where and why of OBDII and the data that can be available. I've attached a link below.

the 992 has a different type of ODB2 port than other cars .. the reason the OP asked for one that worked on the 992 is because not all the code readers work.. i have an older 1 and i was able to clear most codes but i can't clear 1 remaining code
peterdouglas (04-06-2021)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:11 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug992
the 992 has a different type of ODB2 port than other cars .. the reason the OP asked for one that worked on the 992 is because not all the code readers work.. i have an older 1 and i was able to clear most codes but i can't clear 1 remaining code
Actually the EPA specifies the design of the OBD II connector and its wiring per various SAE and ISO rules. It is possible that Porsche has added an additional connector for their own purposes, but the OBD II Connector and its general location are specified by law and what the EPA calls "Final Rules".
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2020, 05:15 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Here's a link to the EPAs Final Rule, in pdf form, dated June 27, 2003. It's the most recent "Final Rule" from the EPA on this subject as it applies to light duty passenger vehicles.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...f/03-14461.pdf
Old 09-02-2020, 10:29 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

I want to clear codes and reset oil/service reminders.
my old isoft por v2 did this on gt3 and i want same for the 992
Old 09-03-2020, 12:38 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPIKES
I want to clear codes and reset oil/service reminders.
my old isoft por v2 did this on gt3 and i want same for the 992
To Reset the oil/service reminder manually, try this:
1. Press inward on the trip odometer reset button (see attached picture)
2. Turn the ignition key/switch to position “1” (See attached) until “Oil Service Re” or “Oil Service Reset” appears on the odometer display.
3. Depress the odometer reset button a second time, until the word “Reset” or “Re” appears on the odometer display.
4. The word “Reset” or “Re” should now be flashing.
5. Push the odometer reset button once more quickly. This should complete the Service Interval reset process.
6. “End SIA” will appear to indicate that a successful reset of the system has been accomplished.

========== / / / / / ==========

To clear DTC's any inexpensive scan tool should work.

As one example (I have no interest in the company or their products) I am also quite certain that these folks are not unique. I believe the Autel Autolink AL519 should be able to clear your codes and also be able to reset the oil/service reminders. Their User guide (also attached) does go to some lengths to admonish the new user to update the internal software (probably to load the most current vehicle list) for free before doing anything else. They are probably not unique in this sort of a requirement. A manufacturer of these tools probably has no idea how long the scan tool their customer bought has been sitting in some warehouse inventory for who knows how long. Anyhow, Amazon at the moment is showing me a price of $59.99 less 6% or $56.39.

FWIW I'm using a much older scan tool that isn't available any more. I just select Generic OBD II and I'm good to go.
Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
AUTEL Instructions.pdf (1.97 MB, 132 views)
SPIKES (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 12:46 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Also what might cost you nothing would be to contact iCarsoft for a software update for the scan tool you have now. It looks like they do this for free for existing customers.

https://www.icarsoft.com/Page/113.html

From thier website: "Please send any question such as product using, installation, diagnosis etc. to Mr. Barnett Davies: support@icarsoft.us at our technical service center." It might be worth a shot.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:08 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

DTCs can be cleared with the latest version of VCDS (VAG-COM) the scan tool can read the 992 control modules, however the DTC library is not in the menu for this software, so what DTCs that are reported are gibberish. Thus, you would be erasing them blindly.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:31 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
DTCs can be cleared with the latest version of VCDS (VAG-COM) the scan tool can read the 992 control modules, however the DTC library is not in the menu for this software, so what DTCs that are reported are gibberish. Thus, you would be erasing them blindly.
can you point me to this device please...google search not helping..thanks
Old 09-08-2020, 05:34 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Bluehighways;16883513]To Reset the oil/service reminder manually, try this:
2. Turn the ignition key/switch to position “1” (See attached) until “Oil Service Re” or “Oil Service Reset” appears on the odometer display.
3. Depress the odometer reset button a second time, until the word “Reset” or “Re” appears on the odometer display.
5. Push the odometer reset button once more quickly. This should complete the Service Interval reset process.
6. “End SIA” will appear to indicate that a successful reset of the system has been accomplished.

i tried this reset on car and it does not work...

Last edited by SPIKES; 09-08-2020 at 05:35 PM.
peterdouglas (04-06-2021)
Old 09-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=SPIKES;16893539]
To Reset the oil/service reminder manually, try this:

i tried this reset on car and it does not work...
Well that's not good news . . . . . . but did you try it while putting your left hand on your right shoulder, with your right eye closed and curling your toes only on your left foot? In all seriousness, if there isn't a way to reset this sort of nanyism I'll be rather P.O.'d. A consumer (that'd be you or more importantly in my mind, me) shouldn't be required to purchase a "special tool" to perform such a basic task.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:49 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

it looked real with pictures of the reset that you posted....where did you see this then?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:33 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPIKES
it looked real with pictures of the reset that you posted....where did you see this then?
It's a procedure that Porsche used on previous years 911's. It seemed probable (but obviously not) that Porsche would not have intentionally changed the U.I. procedure. I presently have sent emails to three scan tool manufacturers requesting that they identify which (if any) of their systems will accomplish this task on a 2020 and newer Porsche 992/911.

The text of my emails follows:

"Please advise:

Which models of your OBD2 Scan Tools will function with the Porsche 992 model 911's (2019 - Present)?

Which of these OBD2 Scan Tools (if any) are maintenance reminder reset capable with the Porsche 992 model 911's (2019 - Present)?

Regards,"

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-09-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Scanner Recommendations