992 vs Taycan 4S as Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
I agree with what others have said on this thread. I really don’t see these two vehicles being frequently crossed shopped. Either you’re in the market for a sports car or you’re considering entering the world of EVs. Of course, there is the scenario where a Porsche owner wants to expand his/her fleet with a second car. With that said, nice job on the comparison points. However, for me - I am simply not ready to enter the EV world. I am too in love with the sound and soul of the ICE (especially a flat-6 in a 911), and frankly, range anxiety and the lack of a charging station infrastructure here on the east coast holds me back. Enjoy your Taycan, I will agree that they are beautiful cars when properly spec’d. I have a 911 and did look at the Taycan last year but ultimately decided to add a 2021 Cayenne Turbo Coupe, given the additional added practically.
Yep. I don't view sports cars and EVs as being in the same universe.

Now, since the world is moving in that direction I will obviously be having to buy EVs. But I"m going to wait until that time comes (and the technology gets perfected). Until then, I'm going to enjoy the sound and personality of the internal combustion engine for quite a while longer
Old 03-31-2021, 12:13 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 452 Posts

I rented a Taycan 4S recently and drove it back to back with my 718 Spyder. The 718 Spyder is by most measures further in the “sports car” direction of the GT/Sports spectrum than a 992 S.

My impressions were that the Spyder felt (and was) much smaller, the steering had more feedback, suspension was much firmer, the brakes were much stronger relative to the car’s weight, there was much more noise (road and engine), bucket seats were more supportive (obviously), and it was fun to play with the manual shifter and wind out the motor. Seating position was lower on the Spyder but not that drastically different.

However, shockingly despite the above, I found the Taycan just as fun if not more fun to drive than the Spyder. The Taycan didn’t “feel heavy” to me at all. Aside from being physically large, it felt just as laterally nimble as the BMW M240i I used to have, and more nimble than any sedan I had ever driven. It cornered and braked flatter than even my 718 Spyder despite having a much softer suspension. The soft suspension also did great maintaining contact with uneven road surfaces in cornering. I pulled some hard cornering with the Taycan, it felt even more sure footed than my Spyder with the more sophisticated suspension geometry, lower centre of gravity, and compliance. It’ll probably be able to pull more lateral acceleration than my Spyder on equivalent tires. Steering feel (texture) was a bit lacking, though weighting was excellent; the Taycan I drove had winter tires on it though, and I was told steering feel is much better with summer tires. The instant acceleration coupled with always being in the right gear, mega torque, and all wheel drive, made the car feel much more “longitudinally nimble” than the Spyder, which itself feels more “longitudinally nimble” than most ICE cars. Overall, shockingly the Taycan may have felt more “nimble” to me going around and powering out of roundabouts than the Spyder, owing to its low centre of gravity, great grip, and great acceleration powering out of slow corners. Sounds shocking that a 5100 lbs family sedan is felt more nimble and competent in driving dynamics than a 3150 lbs Porsche GT car, but it really did.

It’s not to say I don’t like the Spyder - it’s the most nimble car I had ever driven, and I have driven a lot of sporty cars. Its small size still makes it more tossable for autocross (which favours small cars for tight courses). It still has better steering feel, better brakes, more supportive seats, a lower seating position, and it’s fun to shift gears myself and wind out the motor. I’m just shocked to admit I had just as much if not more fun in the Taycan than the Spyder.

Now for my dilemma. I can’t afford to buy a new Taycan right now and also keep the Spyder. Aside from the fun to drive aspects, the Taycan would also be a great daily car (good tech, silence, comfort, storage space, rear seats). The Spyder I had planned to keep for life, and it provides a different also very fun experience that the Taycan doesn’t replace. I know for sure I’d miss it if I sell it. However, after having experienced the Taycan for a day and flogged it a bit, I really want one. I’m also a bit concerned about Taycan depreciation; while I expect the 718 Spyder to depreciate very little in Canada, the Taycan will probably depreciate much more as EV tech improves. Depreciation matters because if I get the current Taycan, I’ll probably wind up trading it for another when the facelift comes out with more range/power/tech. Some of that depreciation would be offset by a reduction in running costs for an EV compared to my ICE Spyder + my ICE S class daily driver.

I could:
  1. Keep the 718 Spyder, and buy a new (or used) Taycan in a couple years when I’ve saved up some more.
  2. Trade the 718 Spyder for a Taycan this year, and maybe pick up a 987 base to scratch the small sports car itch.

Decisions, decisions...

P.S. The Taycan I drove had the base brakes. I wonder if the somewhat larger PSCB brakes would feel stronger and closer to the Spyder on the street.

Last edited by wizee; 03-31-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:09 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 951 Posts

I wonder what the OP would prefer, his Taycan 4S or the new Taycan 4 / 4S Cross Turismo. As he describes the dog and camping as big decision factors, I'm curious if the Cross Turismo announcement gave him pause.

Personally I would love a Taycan 4 or Taycan 4 Cross Turismo or a yet to be released EV Macan S for my wife, but the 992 911 comes down to the driving experience which I couple with a MT and so there is no discussion here. I am sure the Taycans and Teslas of the world drive phenomenally, with Porsche being superior of course, but I still want a real transmission. Engaged.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:01 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I wonder what the OP would prefer, his Taycan 4S or the new Taycan 4 / 4S Cross Turismo. As he describes the dog and camping as big decision factors, I'm curious if the Cross Turismo announcement gave him pause.

Personally I would love a Taycan 4 or Taycan 4 Cross Turismo or a yet to be released EV Macan S for my wife, but the 992 911 comes down to the driving experience which I couple with a MT and so there is no discussion here. I am sure the Taycans and Teslas of the world drive phenomenally, with Porsche being superior of course, but I still want a real transmission. Engaged.
When a Taycan Sport Turismo (not a Cross) comes out, I may need to figure out how to get power to one of my condo parking spots.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:13 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 222 Posts

Wizee-
The ownership appeal of a spyder vs 992 vs taycan is that its core ethos is being regulated away. You will miss it when it's gone and it will be hard to replace. The taycan Will iterate better and better.

I own a spyder, but lease a taycan and absolutely love both. Hopefully adding a 992 GT3 within a year. I have considered the idea of going back in time to satisfy the open top spot in a more economical way and with 4 seats in a pinch, maybe a cheap 991 with lots of miles but you can't beat the mid engine NA 4.0 manual drop top with a killer design and reasonable price.
My 2cents
The following users liked this post:
Stevelev (04-01-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 07:41 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
Wizee-
The ownership appeal of a spyder vs 992 vs taycan is that its core ethos is being regulated away. You will miss it when it's gone and it will be hard to replace. The taycan Will iterate better and better.

I own a spyder, but lease a taycan and absolutely love both. Hopefully adding a 992 GT3 within a year. I have considered the idea of going back in time to satisfy the open top spot in a more economical way and with 4 seats in a pinch, maybe a cheap 991 with lots of miles but you can't beat the mid engine NA 4.0 manual drop top with a killer design and reasonable price.
My 2cents
Yeah, cars like the 982 GT4/Spyder and 992 GT3 may be the last and best of their kind as ever tightening emissions and efficiency and noise regulations will make selling such cars impossible in the near future. EVs like the Taycan will remain available and continue to get better over time, so I’m pretty sure I’d regret selling the Spyder. I should probably just wait a couple more years, let investments and savings grow, then buy a 2024 facelift Taycan with better tech and range and performances to complement the 718 Spyder. Delayed gratification 😂

Quick Reply: 992 vs Taycan 4S as Daily Driver