Sponsored by:

992 vs Taycan 4S as Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 01:11 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts
Default 992 vs Taycan 4S as Daily Driver

Howdy all. Some may remember I had a 992 C2 (then C4) on order and posted here frequently until cancelling my order. Well, now I own a Taycan 4S! I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching and test driving 992s so I thought I'd make a little comparison.

I only own one car at a time right now and I was looking at the 992 specifically as it's really been turned into a very sporty GT car that functions perfectly well as a daily driver. While different in so many ways, the Taycan excels in the same role. Right off the bat, both are amazing cars and you can't go wrong either way. Both have pros/cons over the other. My Taycan has RWS & PTV+ and Pilot Sport 4s. Again, I'm not saying one is better than the other.. in fact they both make extremely compelling cases and are probably the two best sporty daily drivers on the market in this price range. It's going to come down to what traits you prioritize, budget, and level of comfort with the charging landscape.

Price: The lightly specced 992 C4 I had on order was $125k at a 5% discount. The well specced Taycan 4S I have was $129k with 0% discount. However, you also get the $7.5k rebate with the Taycan so basically a Taycan 4S is about equal to a 992 C4 in pricing. However, once you factor in much higher insurance rates for the 992 (my Taycan 4S is $250/month, my 992 quote for the same plan was $550) and fuel (3 years absolutely free supercharging and about 3 cents/mile at home vs about 18 cents/mile for a 992) the 992 would cost about $500/month more + added maintenance. Of course, it's unclear what depreciation will look like on the Taycan vs rock steady for the 992.

Performance: The Taycan 4S is going to compare better against a 992 4S as it blows away a C2 or C4 992 away in any practical test. Launch is going to be faster in the 992, obviously (I have my Taycan measured at 3.6), but the rollout (5-60 measured at 3.8 in my Taycan vs 4.0 in 992 4S via C&D testing) and passing tests are almost certainly better in the Taycan. Of course the 992 4S is going to start pulling away above 100 mph. But in most daily driving the Taycan will likely be a bit quicker simply due to always having the power & torque ready.

The Taycan does a masterful job of hiding it's size and weight, something I never thought the Panamera Turbo did a particularly good job of, and it feels closer to the 911 than a Panny. Still, you definitely notice much more weight than a 992 on hard corner entry. The grip, however, is fantastic, the car is adjustable mid corner, and corner exit is exceptional. It also does a fantastic job in transitions and you really only notice the weight on hard braking into significant turns. It's really nice and agile. While it's not at the level of the 992 in terms of agility, few things are and the Taycan is much more agile than any other performance sedan I've driven and simple superb in that category. It's also helped tremendously by the amazing Pilot Sport 4s. Even pulling 1.15+gs I've yet to get the tires to squeal and Michelin has really done magic to make tires that can handle this combination of weight & performance. Of course I'm probably going to get many less miles on them than I would on a 992, so factor that into price. Note that some reviews had lots of tire squealing but they were using the sub-par AS spec tires.

The handling is really superb. It's not quite as communicative as the 992 but it has excellent feedback and is really a joy to use. I think they found a really nice middle ground between the dead feeling Panamera steering and the ultra sharp 992. At it's best it's not as joyful as the 992 but it's also easier to live with on a daily basis.

Personality wise, the Taycan is more playful than I anticipated it being. It actually has a pretty playful mid-engine-esque chassis which is only muted by it's insane levels of grip.. you have to put a good amount of effort in to expose it's playful nature. The same can be said for the 992 4S, though, as Porsche is getting almost too good at making performance easy to exploit. Still, it's definitely easier to get to the playful side of a 992 4S due to just the weight distribution if nothing else and it's even easier in a C2S.

Aesthetics: I'm a tremendous fan of what Porsche has done with both the 992 and Taycan. To me they are both the perfect mix of sporty, understated, and modern both from the exterior & interior. This one is purely subjective and I love them both. Two of the best looking cars on sale today. One interesting note.. the base interior in the Taycan is lovely & high quality whereas I did not like the cheaper materials in the base interior 992. Interesting that they chose to use different materials and I hope they trickle that down to the 992.

Software/Infotainment: Some people on the forums aren't enjoying the Taycan infotainment, I've found it perfectly good and beautiful to look at. It does what I need (change drive modes and music) perfectly and I don't need more than that. It also still has physical controls (Chrono dial, suspension settings, ride height, lights, etc, etc..) for the important things. Even the center console for climate, which I thought I'd hate, is really just a modern layout of buttons and works perfectly. The 992 system is the same for me; just the right amount of button to touch screen.

Comfort: Obviously this is where the Taycan is far ahead of the 992. It has a luxury car level of ride quality, it's dead quiet, and it's an easy place to spend a lot of time on a highway or in traffic. The 992 is not bad in this regard but it's not intended to be a luxury car. The Taycan can carry everything you need without concern. With that said, you don't get to enjoy a beautiful flat six when you want to (and any reviewer that said the electric sound option is cool didn't spend enough time in the car, it's just a gimmick that most owners will turn off forever IMHO).

Why I chose the Taycan: In the end it was simple for me. I have a dog that goes most places with me, I do a lot of backpacking/camping/etc.. where the extra storage and ability to raise the ride height comes in handy, and perhaps most importantly it's my only car & it's a better fit for my budget right now. If I could afford a 992 and a used Macan, for example, that would be a very compelling alternative. With that said, I love the electric drivetrain and it's very addictive. Yes, you lose the sound but you gain a lot of practical torque in exchange. There's also something to be said for the stealthy performance.. I can rip by on city streets or backroads without worrying about causing a scene or terrifying horses. I really believe the Taycan is the best daily driver available.. IF you're prepared for the obstacles of charging, which are plentiful.

Basically I would prefer the 992 about 5% of the time and the Taycan 95% of the time. Depending on how much you love the sound of a flat six that 5% of the time may feel more important to you, though. But that is also the issue we run into with these turbo charged engines, especially as particulate filters are required.. do they still sound good enough to justify the difference? Because the sound, and to a lesser extent the smaller size, is really what keeps a 992 in the competition against a Taycan as a daily driver. (That and the **** awful charging infrastructure, which is more of a short term problem.)

If I could afford a weekend canyon carver, though, I'm taking something with a NA flat six and a stick.

Last edited by GratedWasabi; 08-09-2020 at 01:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GratedWasabi:
AlexCeres (08-09-2020), Noah Fect (02-27-2021), steve9 (02-28-2021)
Old 08-09-2020, 01:20 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

The big question is. Were you able to get your holy grail limited slip differential?
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
findtom (03-01-2021), GratedWasabi (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 01:30 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Originally Posted by smiles11
The big question is. Were you able to get your holy grail limited slip differential?
Indeed. I still find it crazy you can easily spend $125k on a sports car without one!
Old 08-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 750 Posts

I briefly looked at the Taycan 4s that was at the dealer when I was hopelessly looking for a Manual C4s 992 at the beginning of the Covid Crisis. I was up in the air of going 991.2 manual, or waiting for a 992 Manual (PS I found a 922 C4S manual). I test drove the Taycan 4s and it was really good, much more room of course, was fine to drive, quick, quiet, good tech, etc. etc. My only issue with any electric car at the moment, depending on where you live and length you drive, is the range issue. I think when electric cars have a true range of 400-500 miles (meaning in normal driving and weather/cold/etc.) that is truly a game changer. As in all practicality that is a decent long driving day and you will be stopping in that range. The charging infrastructure in the midwest, true southwest, etc. is still lacking. Range and infrastructure is still a problem for me to make the leap on full electric.

Of course if you do not drive far (which 90% of day to day is not far) it is not a problem, charge up each night at home. Just harder for longer road trips, planning around charging (where the infrastructure is more spotty, etc.).

My final thought after driving the Taycan was if I were go electric at this moment (which I am still not ready to move that direction), I would go with the new Tesla Model S. Much better range, tech, etc. Does not look as good as the Porsche, but overall a much better electric car, range and tech (autopilot, update frequency, options, etc.) is not even close in the Taycan. However, I was much more comfortable with Porsche and Porsche service/network than tesla.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:23 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
My final thought after driving the Taycan was if I were go electric at this moment (which I am still not ready to move that direction), I would go with the new Tesla Model S. Much better range, tech, etc. Does not look as good as the Porsche, but overall a much better electric car, range and tech (autopilot, update frequency, options, etc.) is not even close in the Taycan. However, I was much more comfortable with Porsche and Porsche service/network than tesla.
A Model S only has more range on paper, FWIW. Any real world test and the Taycan 4S is equal or better, except in city driving where a Tesla is better (and range doesn't matter). Period. There's plenty of verifable data on this. A Taycan 4S can do 260 miles driving 82 on a highway, easily, no effort. I've done it multiple times on 20" tires. A brand new Model S P100D on 19" tires gets 247 or so at that speed, according to actual Tesla owners.

Comparing a Taycan to a Model S is like comparing a 992 to an A3. The tech might be better (if you're more interested in driving an iPad rather than a car) but they're not comparable. The Model S is not a sports car or even mildly sporty and has very poor quality. It has an iPad and autopilot if you're buying a car not to drive it, fair enough for a large segment, but it's poor as a driver's car. It's a sports car vs an iPad/kind of self driving car. Not comparable.

The range and charging concerns are legitimate, though, especially depending where you live. In the PNW I've had zero problems doing 500+ mile trips so far, helps that the Taycan is very efficient and the range ultra reliable.

Last edited by GratedWasabi; 08-09-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:09 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Sorry, I just can't agree with you on the looks, especially the front and side views. No comparison with the 992 (which is one of the best looking cars on sale today)--I know it's subjective, but..........
The following 4 users liked this post by HouTexCarreraS:
dribar (02-28-2021), Duct Tape (11-25-2022), findtom (03-01-2021), smiles11 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:18 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Sorry, I just can't agree with you on the looks, especially the front and side views. No comparison with the 992 (which is one of the best looking cars on sale today)--I know it's subjective, but..........
To each their own! I've had a steady stream of compliments and it's definitely more unique than a 911. Never had a compliment in a thousand miles between a 991.2 and 992, lots of dirty looks though. I find it stunning. It's definitely more understated than a 992, but I prefer that as a daily driver. Even in the PNW 911s are pretty common, probably see 5 or 6 a day.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:19 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Apples & oranges comparison. Better off comparing dailies with a Tesla.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,684 Likes on 5,113 Posts

I’m glad you’re enjoying the Taycan but I really can’t find how the Taycan is comparable to a 992 (in any variation or guise).

I had a Taycan Turbo for a week and while I think it’s a fantastic car - it drives
nothing like a 992, except maybe for the fact it gets you from Point A to B without having to walk.

I think the two cars are perfect complements to one another, but not as substitutes.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-09-2020 at 03:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
dribar (02-28-2021), smiles11 (08-09-2020), speedyj (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:58 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
To each their own! I've had a steady stream of compliments and it's definitely more unique than a 911. Never had a compliment in a thousand miles between a 991.2 and 992, lots of dirty looks though. I find it stunning. It's definitely more understated than a 992, but I prefer that as a daily driver. Even in the PNW 911s are pretty common, probably see 5 or 6 a day.
I'm not talking about uniqueness, but rather overall design. I get compliments and thumbs up all of the time in my 992 and never any dirty looks (well, maybe some envious ones, as with any expensive car)--I thought that you never owned a 992, or are you referring to test drives? Not sure I agree that the Taycan is more understated than the 992--I actually think the design is a little more radical. But, like you said, to each their own--it's your car and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:06 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Cool! I recently got a Tesla Model 3 and have been enjoying the experience of an EV. That said, I'd agree that comparing a Taycan to a 911 is hard--they really are complementary vehicles, assuming the Taycan is remotely similar to my Model 3. Which it is in some ways, and isn't in a boatload of others.

I did see a Taycan in matte black on the 5 here in San Diego last week and thought it was bitchin' looking. It actually made me think that maybe when I replace the Tesla someday I'd consider a Taycan, something that I had never thought about before. I think the huge price difference makes me look at them as apples and oranges, although I bet it is more like Valencia vs. bergamot.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
A Model S only has more range on paper, FWIW. Any real world test and the Taycan 4S is equal or better, except in city driving where a Tesla is better (and range doesn't matter). Period. There's plenty of verifable data on this. A Taycan 4S can do 260 miles driving 82 on a highway, easily, no effort. I've done it multiple times on 20" tires. A brand new Model S P100D on 19" tires gets 247 or so at that speed, according to actual Tesla owners.

Comparing a Taycan to a Model S is like comparing a 992 to an A3. The tech might be better (if you're more interested in driving an iPad rather than a car) but they're not comparable. The Model S is not a sports car or even mildly sporty and has very poor quality. It has an iPad and autopilot if you're buying a car not to drive it, fair enough for a large segment, but it's poor as a driver's car. It's a sports car vs an iPad/kind of self driving car. Not comparable.

The range and charging concerns are legitimate, though, especially depending where you live. In the PNW I've had zero problems doing 500+ mile trips so far, helps that the Taycan is very efficient and the range ultra reliable.
So you are saying to me comparing a Taycan to a Tesla Model S is less relevant to comparing a 911 to a Taycan.. Ok then, carry on ;-)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry, but this comparison makes little sense to me. The 992 C2 is a sports car — the GT stuff is way overblown, even though it can be a very good DD. It weighs about 3300 pounds (which, by the standards of today, is pretty light weight — and only a couple hundred pounds more than the 911 of 20 years ago). The Taycan 4s, while a great car, is not a sports car. It weighs almost 5000 pounds. It has great tech, and that tech and low center of gravity help disguise the weight reasonably well, but it’s just not really close to the 911 from a steering/agility standpoint. I don’t understand cross-shopping these two cars if you are looking for a sports car experience. If you only want a GT and can deal with the current charging challenges, then the Taycan makes a very logical choice. It doesn’t remotely compare to the 911 on the twisties or on track. And, of course, this is ignoring that you can still get a 911 with a manual transmission. My $.02.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

If by tech you mean faux full self driving and the ability to play video games, then by all means, the Tesla is best. But if you actually want to enjoy driving the car, the tech in the Taycan is more relevant and far superior. And the real world range of the cars are near identical.

The Taycan is a level above the Tesla in every way as a drivers car. Teslas are cars for people who don’t like to drive cars.
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (01-21-2021)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:55 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I daily a 992 and I actually enjoy it more than the more conventional daily drivers I've had, so I don't really buy into the idea that a daily has to be luxurious.

You've already correctly said that the 992 and Taycan are very different cars. I've test driven a Taycan Turbo S -- the power is self evident. Porsche has done their typically exceptional job at chassis tuning but there is no hiding that weight. The car feels incredibly heavy when you toss it around.

I had an M5 Competition when I test drove the Taycan, which is probably the best car to compare it against (along with the e63s). The Taycan is much more special feeling with a nicer, much cooler looking interior and alot of road presence. The overall feel of the car is just higher end and more engaging than the M5, IMO. Between the two, I'd pick the Taycan. I think Porsche did a great job with it.

But against a 911, there is no contest. The US market 992 has a great sounding exhaust and the car feels quick, dynamic, tossable and lively. It's a sports car and comparing it to a Taycan is not fair to the Taycan.
The following users liked this post:
Johnboston (08-09-2020)

Quick Reply: 992 vs Taycan 4S as Daily Driver