Sponsored by:

First porsche buyer need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 04:20 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts
Default First porsche buyer need some feedback

I am about to buy my first toy/sports/midlife crisis car...

For reference, my only car last few years was BMW X5 and before that 5 series and before that 3 series...yes as the family grew so did the BMW size. I was all set on an M3/4 but new one isn’t out and M2 interior is ****.

I went to the dealership looking at Cayman, maybe a GT4 or GTS4 but after looking at the dated PCM and interior, I decided I couldn’t not be happy with it regardless of how much fun it was to drive...

Then I sat inside the 911 and the interior was just perfect blend of tech, luxury and sportiness. Also i like the fact that the rear seats are perfect for my small kids (9 and 5). One thing to note is we pay 115 tax on cars so the C2 costs more for me than a new turbo S cabriolet in the USA (sad but true). It also means each options costs more than 2x here. The dealer has one C2 in stock and the car is this:http://www.porsche-code.com/PL7V3B95

As I decide to get this in stock car vs ordering a new car which I will get in 9 months and evaluating the pros and cons:

Pros:
dolomite silver looks nice and was my first color choice anyways
has sports chrono so 0-60 in 3.8sec (i wanted a sub 4sec car since my Suv is 5.5sec and want something clearly faster)
Base is good enough for me—never drove anything as fast so wont miss the extra 65hp of the s which will cost me about 30k more similarly optioned. will never track the car no tracks around me.
Standard leather in my region includes the full leather dash and door tops.

Cons:
wanted a more interesting interior
wanted larger wheels (can be solved for a reasonable price)

the roads here are total **** so i won’t get any of the more aggressive suspensions anyways. I will keep the car 3 yrs at most. I have never kept a car longer always upgrade and this seems like an easy way in.

custom ordering will cost me about 25k more the way i have it optioned and also a 8-9 month wait and for me, 9 months of driving the X5 is a greater sin than seat color is my thinking along with the extra 25k on basically cosmetics as i will still get a base which i will be happy with as i have never even driven a porsche!

am i looking at this logically?
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 10:01 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

I would go for it. I also bought "off the lot", and like you would have done a different interior, but honestly the base leather is fine and I did not want to wait 6-9 months for what is my daily driver. If this was your fun weekend only/special occasion car, I would consider ordering exactly what I wanted and deal with the 9 month wait. But I am happy with my new 992, as it had 90% of the options I wanted and color.

PS. Dolomite is a great color!
AlexCeres (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 12:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,540 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Don't settle.

Wait and order the exact car you want.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:21 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Thank--i have never seen a dolomite silver car (seen the paint sample plates at the dealer) but from pics it seems like a silver with bluish tint outdoors and plain silver indoors?
Old 07-30-2020, 12:29 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

I custom ordered a Dolomite Silver base 992 911 back in September of 2019 and was one of the last people to take delivery at the Porsche Experience Center in LA on February 27th, 2020.

The color is absolutely sublime. On a bright sunny day the car is extremely bright where the sun is hitting it but fades down to a really nice cool silver/blue. For me, the color just has a bit more “pop” than GT Silver (which is also an amazing color.)

The following 3 users liked this post by seanhaus:
AlexCeres (07-30-2020), rumnyc (07-30-2020), Wilsontour (10-11-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:11 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rumnyc
I am about to buy my first toy/sports/midlife crisis car...

For reference, my only car last few years was BMW X5 and before that 5 series and before that 3 series...yes as the family grew so did the BMW size. I was all set on an M3/4 but new one isn’t out and M2 interior is ****.

I went to the dealership looking at Cayman, maybe a GT4 or GTS4 but after looking at the dated PCM and interior, I decided I couldn’t not be happy with it regardless of how much fun it was to drive...

Then I sat inside the 911 and the interior was just perfect blend of tech, luxury and sportiness. Also i like the fact that the rear seats are perfect for my small kids (9 and 5). One thing to note is we pay 115 tax on cars so the C2 costs more for me than a new turbo S cabriolet in the USA (sad but true). It also means each options costs more than 2x here. The dealer has one C2 in stock and the car is this:http://www.porsche-code.com/PL7V3B95

As I decide to get this in stock car vs ordering a new car which I will get in 9 months and evaluating the pros and cons:

Pros:
dolomite silver looks nice and was my first color choice anyways
has sports chrono so 0-60 in 3.8sec (i wanted a sub 4sec car since my Suv is 5.5sec and want something clearly faster)
Base is good enough for me—never drove anything as fast so wont miss the extra 65hp of the s which will cost me about 30k more similarly optioned. will never track the car no tracks around me.
Standard leather in my region includes the full leather dash and door tops.

Cons:
wanted a more interesting interior
wanted larger wheels (can be solved for a reasonable price)

the roads here are total **** so i won’t get any of the more aggressive suspensions anyways. I will keep the car 3 yrs at most. I have never kept a car longer always upgrade and this seems like an easy way in.

custom ordering will cost me about 25k more the way i have it optioned and also a 8-9 month wait and for me, 9 months of driving the X5 is a greater sin than seat color is my thinking along with the extra 25k on basically cosmetics as i will still get a base which i will be happy with as i have never even driven a porsche!

am i looking at this logically?
If question is to buy this C2 from stock or not to buy 911 ever, then buy it. Every 911 is great car. If your question is to buy 911 from a lot or order you personal specification, then order. Extra 25k - this is an investment in yourself.

I didn't plan to buy 992 this year, especially coupe, but I am very happy that the dealer found the right car for me from stock, even if it is not perfect build for me. I will fix most of configuration's lacks this winter
Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Go for it. If you are going to trade in a few years, it won’t matter much. All 911s are wonderful so you can’t go wrong.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:00 PM
rumnyc
Instructor

I used to be of the mindset that I should get ‘exactly the car I want’ but talked myself out of it. There are so many porsche owners here and so many of them on their 2nd or 10th or 20th cars that they actually know what they want. This for me would be the first so, I don’t really know what I want, but here is my thinking...

1) get the car as soon as possible so i can join the club. I doubt this is my last 911 more like my first of many so rather than wait 9 months to get a custom i decided to get a car off the lot.

2) I chose a 992 base because it seems to magically tick all the boxes for me: The fastest car i have owned before is a 0-60 at 5sec so a base sports chrono at 3.8 is a big upgrade. However speed is just one metric. I chose a c2 because i wanted to experience the purest form first, the classic shape (hence not a cabriolet or targa although I like those too), the engine (which per all review is arguably more enjoyable than the S due to being able to legally rev it longer), the rwd so i can experience the classic 911 balance of rear wheel drive/rear engine.

3) in pre-992, i would always spec a c4s because i like the wider haunches of the awd models, and i would want 2 perf options (pasm and torque vectoring) and now both are standard on the base.

4) completely emotional, but growing up i had a poster of a silver 959 and A base silver 992 911 with the clean lines of the standard rear bumper with the wing up in mid position and the squarish non-sport exhaust just reminds me of that car (and its a turbo as well!) and called me like nothing else.

so in the end i decided on the car on the original post and hope to have it in 1 week or so...

in a few years i hope to experience a cabriolet and a targa and others and i will get my custom with the requisite wait while i have a 911 in the garage
Scott in NC (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:11 PM
Scott in NC
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats! My guess is that you’ll be very happy with your choice. Enjoy!
Old 07-31-2020, 11:57 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
I custom ordered a Dolomite Silver base 992 911 back in September of 2019 and was one of the last people to take delivery at the Porsche Experience Center in LA on February 27th, 2020.

The color is absolutely sublime. On a bright sunny day the car is extremely bright where the sun is hitting it but fades down to a really nice cool silver/blue. For me, the color just has a bit more “pop” than GT Silver (which is also an amazing color.)

Dolomite and black rims is most excellent!
Old 07-31-2020, 11:59 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by rumnyc
I used to be of the mindset that I should get ‘exactly the car I want’ but talked myself out of it. There are so many porsche owners here and so many of them on their 2nd or 10th or 20th cars that they actually know what they want. This for me would be the first so, I don’t really know what I want, but here is my thinking...

1) get the car as soon as possible so i can join the club. I doubt this is my last 911 more like my first of many so rather than wait 9 months to get a custom i decided to get a car off the lot.

2) I chose a 992 base because it seems to magically tick all the boxes for me: The fastest car i have owned before is a 0-60 at 5sec so a base sports chrono at 3.8 is a big upgrade. However speed is just one metric. I chose a c2 because i wanted to experience the purest form first, the classic shape (hence not a cabriolet or targa although I like those too), the engine (which per all review is arguably more enjoyable than the S due to being able to legally rev it longer), the rwd so i can experience the classic 911 balance of rear wheel drive/rear engine.

3) in pre-992, i would always spec a c4s because i like the wider haunches of the awd models, and i would want 2 perf options (pasm and torque vectoring) and now both are standard on the base.

4) completely emotional, but growing up i had a poster of a silver 959 and A base silver 992 911 with the clean lines of the standard rear bumper with the wing up in mid position and the squarish non-sport exhaust just reminds me of that car (and its a turbo as well!) and called me like nothing else.

so in the end i decided on the car on the original post and hope to have it in 1 week or so...

in a few years i hope to experience a cabriolet and a targa and others and i will get my custom with the requisite wait while i have a 911 in the garage
Whether it's your first or your tenth, you'll love the car no matter how you spec it (or buy it). Sure, there are little things that can be nitpicked, but honestly, a base C2 will provide an avid driver as much joy as a $175k C2S/C4S. At least IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by markchristenson:
Metalblond (08-01-2020), rumnyc (08-01-2020)

Quick Reply: First porsche buyer need some feedback