Sponsored by:

Home Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 12:14 AM
rgiles
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home Delivery

Anyone get home delivery of their 992? If so, what was your experience like? When/how did you complete the paperwork?

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:11 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by rgiles
Anyone get home delivery of their 992? If so, what was your experience like? When/how did you complete the paperwork?

Thank you for your feedback.
I did home delivery (actually on my last several cars) as I bought a few from dealers not in my area.

I got free enclosed shipping as well.

Pretty painless on how it worked.

Dealer overnighted the paperwork to me for signatures. Had my bank notarize my signatures
They sent a pre-paid overnight envelop with it, and sent it back the same day/overnight
Wired the funds to the dealer (or you can do a certified check), if financing you would just sign the finance papers and wire/bank check any down payment at the same time (while you are getting the signature notarized at the bank)
Next day I called the dealer made sure they got the paper work and the wired funds all cleared. They confirmed
3 days later the enclosed trailer with my 992 arrived, they unloaded it, wiped it down with sanitizer. Stepped away from the car, and I got in and drove it in my garage. You will also sign a shipping/received document with the transport guy.

The next day the dealer/SA will call you to see if you have any questions and walk you through whatever you would like. I didn't have any questions, as I had already read the manual and my dealer had set up most everything before it arrived (minus my porsche ID in the car, etc.) So I didn't need any help really.

I will of course service my car at one of the local porsche dealers, but found the one I wanted from a dealer not close to me. Was simple and painless. This is the 5 or 6 car in the last 4-5 years I have bought from a remote dealer, never an issue.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:45 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry not a 992, but a 2019 991.2.
With the pandemic I asked for the car to be delivered, no problem they said.
We signed the contract at the dealership and went back home. Before they emailed us the final amount, they offered a bunch of extra's and I said no thank you!
We transferred the funds the next morning, within 48 hours they confirmed that the funds were in.
They emailed back to scheduled the delivery. They prepared all final paperwork and gave them to the delivery guy.
He showed up on time with an enclosed trailer. drove the car out and into the driveway. Gave me the extra 4 tires they gave me and then handed me the paperwork, showed me where to sign and that was it.
I then disinfected the whole interior myself, didn't want to trust anybody else.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:59 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

i had the option for home delivery .. met my SA at local pizza restaurant .. i decided against home delivery because it was late march in the height of the pandemic and it would be rude not to invite my SA in the house to sign paperwork and i did not want anyone in my house because i have a 5 year old.. pizza place parking lot worked out perfectly
Old 07-29-2020, 01:57 PM
Trackmunkey
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 42 Posts

What are you wiping the cars down with? Any visible residue/damage to the leather?
Old 07-29-2020, 03:16 PM
lalalife
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually never met the dealer or saw the car in person. Connected to a dealer through a broker, asked for a lot of photos. Once we agreed to a price, the dealer overnighted docs with a return envelope and two days later it arrived to me on a covered car carrier (dealer was about 200 miles away) operated by a third party.

The whole process was extremely seamless, we began discussions on a Friday evening, came to agreement on terms Sunday, and the car was delivered the following Friday after the back and forth of paperwork throughout the week. There was no offer of add on items, no discussions with finance, etc. It was my first experience handling a car with zero in-person interaction and I much preferred it to sitting in dealer offices and having to spend an hour + when taking delivery vs. the 5 minute unload time off a trailer.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:10 PM
sj24k
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 24 Posts

I opted for a socially distant delivery at the dealership in early May. I wanted to avoid more flatbeds, others driving my car, or having people to my house. I was basically sequestered in a very large, well-ventilated, open-doored space. SA and I were both masked as he brought paperwork back and forth from finance. I brought and used my own pen. I wore gloves. Car was waiting for me outside. I skipped all the instructions, SA overviews, and I applied my temporary registration sticker myself. When I got in the car (after taking off my signing gloves, hand sanitizing heavily, and putting on new gloves) I made sure AC was off and all vents closed. I used wet ones alcohol wipes on any surface I would touch. Kept the mask and gloves on for the short drive home. I then left car outside in sun for the day, then parked in my garage for 24 hours or so. Took a few showers, washed my clothes, hand sanitized a few dozen times. Then I finally let my guard down and drove carefree. Admittedly, I'm a germaphobe and a tad OCD about contamination, and COVID has really elevated it all for me. I was very clear with my SA that I was gonna be a bit "nuts" and he was kind enough to respect me, and take necessary care on his side. I'm sure he and his associates had a good laugh at my expense once I left, but I don't really care what others think about my idiosyncrasies. That was the plan that worked for me, so that's what I did.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:13 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenj24k
I opted for a socially distant delivery at the dealership in early May. I wanted to avoid more flatbeds, others driving my car, or having people to my house. I was basically sequestered in a very large, well-ventilated, open-doored space. SA and I were both masked as he brought paperwork back and forth from finance. I brought and used my own pen. I wore gloves. Car was waiting for me outside. I skipped all the instructions, SA overviews, and I applied my temporary registration sticker myself. When I got in the car (after taking off my signing gloves, hand sanitizing heavily, and putting on new gloves) I made sure AC was off and all vents closed. I used wet ones alcohol wipes on any surface I would touch. Kept the mask and gloves on for the short drive home. I then left car outside in sun for the day, then parked in my garage for 24 hours or so. Took a few showers, washed my clothes, hand sanitized a few dozen times. Then I finally let my guard down and drove carefree. Admittedly, I'm a germaphobe and a tad OCD about contamination, and COVID has really elevated it all for me. I was very clear with my SA that I was gonna be a bit "nuts" and he was kind enough to respect me, and take necessary care on his side. I'm sure he and his associates had a good laugh at my expense once I left, but I don't really care what others think about my idiosyncrasies. That was the plan that worked for me, so that's what I did.
I cringe when I read or hear this type of phobic irrationality. It's not all about you my friend. Your OCD problem makes life significantly more difficult for more people than you can imagine. You are not more important than the rest of the world and the "what works for me attitude" can be a huge problem for those around you whether that matters to you or not.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:24 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

(Admittedly, this was a new 718 GT4 not 992, but the process would have been the same)

Did a delivery in early May. Dealer in Florida (car off the lot) and I'm in NE Ohio.
Most of the sale was done over e-mail without any phone calls, and then they setup the paperwork to be signed with a local notary (overnighted the paperwork + a return envelope). I wrote a check for the rest of the down payment (did half on CC - it had a huge credit from a refunded deposit at another dealer) and sent it with the paperwork.

I had the transport meet me in an empty (at the time), huge mall parking lot right off the highway because I knew it'd be some big trailer and I didn't want to mess with that in a residential area (transport guy appreciated that).
Got called the day of with a very close time-frame to meet them there. Transport guy unloaded it, had me sign a bill of lading (which was all messed/mixed up, but that's another story) and then handed me the keys.

Whole process was about 2 weeks from my first e-mail with the SA to driving the car in Ohio.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:16 PM
sj24k
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
I cringe when I read or hear this type of phobic irrationality. It's not all about you my friend. Your OCD problem makes life significantly more difficult for more people than you can imagine. You are not more important than the rest of the world and the "what works for me attitude" can be a huge problem for those around you whether that matters to you or not.
In an effort to make things less cringe worthy, let me explain. I was actually honoring my SA request to do the transaction at the dealership in a socially distant way. It didn’t make anything more difficult for anybody.

Going to their place, putting on a mask and gloves, and being extra careful during a pandemic seemed more thoughtful than back and forth Fedex documents, calling out a notary, and asking a team of people to deliver a car to my house. That being said, I think it’s great that others were able to (or wanted to) do it that way if that’s what worked for them and their dealer.

The setup at the dealership is their current SOP. I was happy to oblige and simply took extra personal precautions that made me feel better and had zero impact on anyone else. It was the fastest I’ve been in and out of a dealership in my history of car purchases and know they were all quite happy with the smoothness of the transaction.

Perhaps I could have been clearer in the original post, but the way I wanted to do it coincided with the way my dealer wanted to do it, so it was a win/win. My “phobic irrationality” as you label it, had no impact on anyone but me. Trust me, I’m very careful to keep my stuff to myself and let others do their thing. I go out of my way to respect people and make things as easy as possible for those around me. Even when I’m writing them a check for $150,000. Hell, some might say I’m too accommodating. But that’s a whole other psychological story

Peace.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:31 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Not at all clear where you’re coming from and what makes you cringe. The extra precautions taken affected no one but the poster, and if any personnel, dealership or vehicle surfaces were COVID-19 contaminated the owner’s diligence GREATLY mitigated the chance of transmission. I applaud individuals and organizations who take seriously their role in keeping the virus at bay.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:57 PM
doug992
Racer

I see nothing wrong with what he did.. what if he or the SA have family members who have weaker immune systems or maybe he has done an excellent job social distancing and wants to keep it that way .. a lot of people in this country don't care about catching the virus or who the infect along the way.. i can appreciate the ones that are cautious than the ones that are careless
Old 07-30-2020, 03:36 PM
rgiles
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for your comments on home delivery. It's something that’s coming up for me and I wanted to hear about your experiences.

On another note, I find it interesting how any topic on this forum begins innocently enough and then BOOM someone gets offended or pissed off and derails the intent of the discussion. People will do what they’re comfortable with and I applaud that. Wipe down your car or don’t. Wear a hazmat suit if you want. It’s YOUR car.

Anyway, I suggest we close this thread as the back and forth about people’s habits doesn’t add to the purpose of this thread. Take care guys!
Old 07-30-2020, 04:33 PM
doug992
Racer

Originally Posted by rgiles
Thank you all for your comments on home delivery. It's something that’s coming up for me and I wanted to hear about your experiences.

On another note, I find it interesting how any topic on this forum begins innocently enough and then BOOM someone gets offended or pissed off and derails the intent of the discussion. People will do what they’re comfortable with and I applaud that. Wipe down your car or don’t. Wear a hazmat suit if you want. It’s YOUR car.

Anyway, I suggest we close this thread as the back and forth about people’s habits doesn’t add to the purpose of this thread. Take care guys!
his car and his family .. really shows how some people really don't take the virus seriously .. every 2 weeks my wife comes to me and asks if we want to take our 5 year old some where.. apple picking.. etc .. and i'm like NO we are STILL in a pandemic
Old 07-30-2020, 05:08 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by doug992
his car and his family .. really shows how some people really don't take the virus seriously .. every 2 weeks my wife comes to me and asks if we want to take our 5 year old some where.. apple picking.. etc .. and i'm like NO we are STILL in a pandemic
You won't go to pick a few apples? Wow, get CNN out of your head. Hope all you germaphobes get your world sterilized.
What do you think keeping your 5 yr old in isolation is doing for her? Live your life Man.

Quick Reply: Home Delivery