Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Akrapovic exhaust.... Anyone heard it in person??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 07:20 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by The-Dream
Honestly if you live in a city with a lot of supercars, the loud exhausts start to get annoying.
I am in London quite often and, as a visitor, I kind of enjoy the showboating. And in Mayfair and places with relatively narrow streets and a lot of stone buildings, the sounds are amplified even more so. However, if I lived there and had to put up with it all the time I'm right there with you--it'd be annoying!
Old 07-10-2020, 05:35 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Illegal over loud exhausts on cars and bikes is truly the preserve of morons

Last edited by PBM; 07-10-2020 at 05:36 AM. Reason: ( my moronic spelling )
The following users liked this post:
eagle1960 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 01:03 AM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
If your dealership/tech is particularly crappy, they may give you a hard time, but they can't deny warranty unless they can absolutely prove the component caused the failure. If you screw up the exhaust valves and have issues with that, then yea...they could deny it. But if your transmission or engine blows...no.
Not true, take it from someone who has gone all the way. They can deny your warranty and by doing no more than saying the words. You are not in possession of your warranty and never have been so once denied all the screaming and yelling and jumping up and down in the world will change nothing; you're broke down and staying that way until you pay out of pocket or follow a very long process that you'll wish you never started to try and eventually get them to pay. The rest of the warranty outside of the driven train remains in effect of course, warranties can only be completely voided for a few specific reasons like salvage title (the car was totaled), odo tampering, etc. None of them will apply here. If you're thinking you're going through with it as a matter of principle keep in mind that you'll eventually find your way into a room where a corporate lawyer will be sitting with all manner of graphs, charts, and various documents showing all the ways you increased the loads on various components. This isn't a criminal court and might be arbitration so all those thing they show are going to be considered true unless you show that they are not because there is no innocent until proven guilty in this room, no shadow of a doubt, certainly no "absolutely prove it", those things reside over on the criminal side of the house. In fact the very concept of proof of fault is not going to be their argument. You altered the car from what they sold you in such a way as to increase load on various components and they are not required to warranty something they did not sell or in a condition they did not sell it in. I'm not sure I said that quite the way an attorney would but that's the gist of it as I recall it.

I can tell you a few other things: The MM act does provide for the ability to go after expenses but does not guarantee it. I won, went after them, did not get them. Your dealer is also not in possession of your warranty, they are just an agent in servicing it. Porsche is in possession of your warranty and they send in a regional rep to look at major failures. That rep does not sell cars and doesn't care how good a customer you are; they are there to guard the gate. That is often as not going to be the guy/gal that actually denies your warranty coverage after installing headers and that sort of thing and then breaking something expensive. Your dealer will likely be very sorry that the mean man denied you but probably not sorry enough to put a major repair on their dime unless your a VERY good customer.

The MM act is a huge piece of legislation that was crafted with industry input, I'm hopeful everyone here understands what industry input means. In terms of this conversation the important takeaway from all this is that Porsche does not have to produce video from a camera mounted in the engine showing your catless exhaust beating a piston with a mallet in order to deny warranty. That concept on car forums needs to die because it's about as far away from the reality of the situation as you can get.
The following 2 users liked this post by krabman:
Farmlyf (07-11-2020), Vintage72 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:22 AM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
Not true, take it from someone who has gone all the way. They can deny your warranty and by doing no more than saying the words. You are not in possession of your warranty and never have been so once denied all the screaming and yelling and jumping up and down in the world will change nothing; you're broke down and staying that way until you pay out of pocket or follow a very long process that you'll wish you never started to try and eventually get them to pay. The rest of the warranty outside of the driven train remains in effect of course, warranties can only be completely voided for a few specific reasons like salvage title (the car was totaled), odo tampering, etc. None of them will apply here. If you're thinking you're going through with it as a matter of principle keep in mind that you'll eventually find your way into a room where a corporate lawyer will be sitting with all manner of graphs, charts, and various documents showing all the ways you increased the loads on various components. This isn't a criminal court and might be arbitration so all those thing they show are going to be considered true unless you show that they are not because there is no innocent until proven guilty in this room, no shadow of a doubt, certainly no "absolutely prove it", those things reside over on the criminal side of the house. In fact the very concept of proof of fault is not going to be their argument. You altered the car from what they sold you in such a way as to increase load on various components and they are not required to warranty something they did not sell or in a condition they did not sell it in. I'm not sure I said that quite the way an attorney would but that's the gist of it as I recall it.

I can tell you a few other things: The MM act does provide for the ability to go after expenses but does not guarantee it. I won, went after them, did not get them. Your dealer is also not in possession of your warranty, they are just an agent in servicing it. Porsche is in possession of your warranty and they send in a regional rep to look at major failures. That rep does not sell cars and doesn't care how good a customer you are; they are there to guard the gate. That is often as not going to be the guy/gal that actually denies your warranty coverage after installing headers and that sort of thing and then breaking something expensive. Your dealer will likely be very sorry that the mean man denied you but probably not sorry enough to put a major repair on their dime unless your a VERY good customer.

The MM act is a huge piece of legislation that was crafted with industry input, I'm hopeful everyone here understands what industry input means. In terms of this conversation the important takeaway from all this is that Porsche does not have to produce video from a camera mounted in the engine showing your catless exhaust beating a piston with a mallet in order to deny warranty. That concept on car forums needs to die because it's about as far away from the reality of the situation as you can get.
Well I don’t mean to undermine the extensive comment, but it’s not a catless exhaust.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:49 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

Well I don’t mean to undermine the extensive comment, but it’s not a catless exhaust.
I had a full Tubi exhaust with high-flow cats put on my 991 turbo a few years back and my car developed a juddering in certain situation when accelerating. The regional Porsche rep told my dealership not to work on my car until the custom exhaust was removed and the original exhaust was re-installed. They said the exhaust might be making the engine run lean. After running some diagnostics, the service tech said it was all due to bad gas and told me to stop gassing up at Tesoro and only put Chevron or Shell in my car.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:23 AM
krabman
Pro

It was in response to the warranties can't be denied thing which was an extension of the comment discussing getting into the cats. The absolute proof thing is utter crap and I bitchslap it whenever encountered.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:59 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

The absolute proof thing is utter crap and I bitchslap it whenever encountered.
Damn you're hardcore.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,777 Likes on 5,141 Posts

The absolute proof thing is utter crap and I bitchslap it whenever encountered.
Originally Posted by AKSteve
Damn you're hardcore.
It's because krabam speaks the truth.
The following users liked this post:
AKSteve (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 11:44 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's because krabam speaks the truth.
It’s obviously unfortunate to actually have to go through that situation, so I’ll admit that my experiences are anecdotal (i.e. only dealt with recall services).

To be honest, I glossed over the catless part in the comment I originally quoted because I was in the context of the original topic (the exhaust sound itself, so presumably the slip-on and not the catless portion). I would like to think/hope that the point stands, that a slip-on muffler wouldn’t cause issues - I guess it boils down to counting your blessings.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:45 PM
krabman
Pro

Your gold after the cats with whatever mufflers. I wasn't trying to beat you up; the proof myth is alive and well on many forums and it's so often repeated I think people just assume it must be true.
The following 2 users liked this post by krabman:
OmniBlade (07-13-2020), ryanlsmith (07-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Akrapovic exhaust.... Anyone heard it in person??