Sponsored by:

2 days/750km observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 11:42 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts
Default 2 days/750km observations

Picked up the car Friday, put about 350km on it Friday on the twisties in the Foothills west of Calgary, then took back roads out through to Banff and Lake Louise today to get to 750km (my "it's pretty much broken in" number).
This is my third 911...had a 996 TT 6-speed (bought new) and a 2011 GTS 6-speed (bought at two years old). Aside from the last Cayman S and the AMG C43 I just sold, ALL 40+ sports cars I've owned have been manual gearboxes.

Here are my observations (no particular order) after two days in the car.

The 18-way seats are brilliant. Took me about a day and a half to dial them in, now they fit me like a glove.

PDK in Sport+ mode is uncannily capable. Because I'm used to NA cars, I found myself bringing the car down a gear manually on corner entry because I thought PDK was too slow to downshift; then realized at 3k RPM I have all the torque I need to power out of a corner. Full brain remapping will take a while, but I get it lol.

I really didn't like the SPASM-equipped demo cars I drove; too harsh and not much additional cornering prowess. My PASM car In Sport+ mode is taut, communicative and not overly harsh. The perfect blend for me.

The car will never be driven with Sport Exhaust off...it just sounds SO good. Thought I'd find it obnoxious...it's not.

I'll never use Sports mode...bull**** farting is the ONLY thing I dislike about the car. 85%+ of the time I'll use Sport+, the rest of the time I'll use Normal with manual shifting when I want to dial back the involvement a half a notch.

The car is so far tight and rattle-free...including the Bose speakers.

A base 992 driven with verve is plenty fast enough. Really only started to use up to 6500 RPM the last 100 or so KM (which was all on 65-120 km/hr twisties. I made the call that the S was too frenetic and overpowered for the way I like to drive. Made the right call. If you're on the fence about a base, grab a demo and drive the h*** out of it. You may be surprised.

Way too much technology on the car. Good thing my wife has a head and the patience for setting up the myriad programming options and almost everything is working. The mirror tilts UP instead of DOWN when selecting reverse, but that's the only major bug.

The 360 camera is usable, but Porsche really should see how Mercedes does 360...there are lessons to be learned.

Glad I didn't get any extra leather (other than the 18-way seats). Car interior looks clean and modern right out of the box, and the material quality and feel are very high.

The car rotates nicely, which I partially attribute to specing PTV+, only available on the base C4...can't say that a C2 would feel significantly different without PTV+ but glad I ordered it.

Comfort Access works perfectly on the doors for me; not so well on the frunk...couldn't get it to work with my hand no matter how I tried, but frunk opened all by itself 5 or 6 times while washing it (hands nowhere near the frunk lid).

Bottom line: fully satisfied with the car. I had high expectations going in, and those expectations have been exceeded.

Last edited by gcurnew; 07-12-2020 at 12:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gcurnew:
356to992 (07-12-2020), 997usa (07-12-2020), Vintage72 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 11:54 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Glad you’ve enjoyed the car.

mirror tilt is a quick fix. Put the car in reverse, set the mirror, then put into drive. Setting will save itself and no need to save into the memory button. If you do save in memory, it will stay tilted even in drive

congrats
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
aggie57 (07-12-2020), gcurnew (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 12:09 AM
tvlaan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 20 Posts

Great initial thoughts. I have a C4 (With PTV+) and think it is the ideal 992 for most driving situations.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:14 AM
mathus7
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Congratulations. With even more miles it just get's better. Now 2700 mi. You have beautiful area to drive in Calgary. I live in Central Oregon and have also a good driving experience.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:15 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Keep the key well away from the car while washing--the water stream will activate Comfort Access of the doors and frunk if you don't.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (07-14-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 12:25 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Picked up the car Friday, put about 350km on it Friday on the twisties in the Foothills west of Calgary, then took back roads out through to Banff and Lake Louise today to get to 750km (my "it's pretty much broken in" number).
This is my third 911...had a 996 TT 6-speed (bought new) and a 2011 GTS 6-speed (bought at two years old). Aside from the last Cayman S and the AMG C43 I just sold, ALL 40+ sports cars I've owned have been manual gearboxes.

Here are my observations (no particular order) after two days in the car.

The 18-way seats are brilliant. Took me about a day and a half to dial them in, now they fit me like a glove.

PDK in Sport+ mode is uncannily capable. Because I'm used to NA cars, I found myself bringing the car down a gear manually on corner entry because I thought PDK was too slow to downshift; then realized at 3k RPM I have all the torque I need to power out of a corner. Full brain remapping will take a while, but I get it lol.

I really didn't like the SPASM-equipped demo cars I drove; too harsh and not much additional cornering prowess. My PASM car In Sport+ mode is taut, communicative and not overly harsh. The perfect blend for me.

The car will never be driven with Sport Exhaust off...it just sounds SO good. Thought I'd find it obnoxious...it's not.

I'll never use Sports mode...bull**** farting is the ONLY thing I dislike about the car. 85%+ of the time I'll use Sport+, the rest of the time I'll use Normal with manual shifting when I want to dial back the involvement a half a notch.

The car is so far tight and rattle-free...including the Bose speakers.

A base 992 driven with verve is plenty fast enough. Really only started to use up to 6500 RPM the last 100 or so KM (which was all on 65-120 km/hr twisties. I made the call that the S was too frenetic and overpowered for the way I like to drive. Made the right call. If you're on the fence about a base, grab a demo and drive the h*** out of it. You may be surprised.

Way too much technology on the car. Good thing my wife has a head and the patience for setting up the myriad programming options and almost everything is working. The mirror tilts UP instead of DOWN when selecting reverse, but that's the only major bug.

The 360 camera is usable, but Porsche really should see how Mercedes does 360...there are lessons to be learned.

Glad I didn't get any extra leather (other than the 18-way seats). Car interior looks clean and modern right out of the box, and the material quality and feel are very high.

The car rotates nicely, which I partially attribute to specing PTV+, only available on the base C4...can't say that a C2 would feel significantly different without PTV+ but glad I ordered it.

Comfort Access works perfectly on the doors for me; not so well on the frunk...couldn't get it to work with my hand no matter how I tried, but frunk opened all by itself 5 or 6 times while washing it (hands nowhere near the frunk lid).

Bottom line: fully satisfied with the car. I had high expectations going in, and those expectations have been exceeded.
Congratulations! Send some pictures of the car in Banff and Lake Louise, it’s beautiful there.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:27 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Keep the key well away from the car while washing--the water stream will activate Comfort Access of the doors and frunk if you don't.
Yeah, that’s PITA. I specially need to take my keys out of pocket and store them well away from car. They need a wash mode button in PCM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:13 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
mirror tilt is a quick fix. Put the car in reverse, set the mirror, then put into drive. Setting will save itself and no need to save into the memory button.
That worked...and took all of 10 seconds. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:51 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
That worked...and took all of 10 seconds. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I hope that you took photos on your drive and will share them. I’ve never been to Banff and Lake Louise but hope to get there soon. We went skiing at Whistler last year and thought what a great place to have a 911. I can imagine the same for your area. Next summer when I have been vaccinated for COVID, I may drive up there for the summer trip. Time to start planning.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:22 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I hope that you took photos on your drive and will share them. I’ve never been to Banff and Lake Louise but hope to get there soon. We went skiing at Whistler last year and thought what a great place to have a 911. I can imagine the same for your area. Next summer when I have been vaccinated for COVID, I may drive up there for the summer trip. Time to start planning.
No, didn't take any pictures this weekend. The singular objective was to break in the car and get to know it. Will take some pics on future mountain jaunts and share them.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

please do our you may be excommunicated from this forum!
Old 07-12-2020, 03:40 PM
job511
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't take photos @ Banff ?!? aaahh...you probably seen it too many times lol Been there once and still reminiscing the beautiful scenery around the area. Would love to take my car (arriving in 2 weeks) there for a spin! I just have to convince my wife now to do this epic drive from Ontario

Enjoy the vehicle!
Old 07-12-2020, 03:58 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=job511;16768317]Didn't take photos @ Banff ?!? aaahh...you probably seen it too many times lol Been there once and still reminiscing the beautiful scenery around the area. Would love to take my car (arriving in 2 weeks) there for a spin! I just have to convince my wife now to do this epic drive from Ontario /QUOTE]

That's it exactly. When you live in an area with great scenery and driving roads, you tend to see it as "normal" and take it for granted.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:13 PM
356to992
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats, glad to see you’re enjoying her already. Sounds like you nailed the build. I’m planning on doing the Foothills/Banff drive next weekend (barring tornadoes, hail or a plague of locusts).

Quick Reply: 2 days/750km observations