Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly PCM question... Can you change the color of the little car on the screen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020 | 05:06 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Default Silly PCM question... Can you change the color of the little car on the screen?

Stupid, I know. But my M4 had this feature (it came set up this way), and it was cool to see the little car on the screen match what you were driving. Is there a way to do this on the PCM? A sub-menu somewhere I’m missing?
Old 06-29-2020 | 08:56 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by French Blue
Stupid, I know. But my M4 had this feature (it came set up this way), and it was cool to see the little car on the screen match what you were driving. Is there a way to do this on the PCM? A sub-menu somewhere I’m missing?
No there is not...

However if you have "My Porsche" app on your phone/or utilize the web page on your PC. It will have several pics of your exact car and specs on that.
The following users liked this post:
French Blue (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020 | 06:58 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Thanks, Richard!
Old 07-15-2023 | 08:54 PM
Spiffx
Burning Brakes

I also have a BMW M4 with the car in the infotainment system showing an exact replica of my car (right down to my selected build options). It’s so disappointing to get a 992 S and see a generic unpainted car (I say unpainted because what I see isn’t even the standard white). Common Porsche! You can do better that this.
Old 07-16-2023 | 02:16 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spiffx
I also have a BMW M4 with the car in the infotainment system showing an exact replica of my car (right down to my selected build options). It’s so disappointing to get a 992 S and see a generic unpainted car (I say unpainted because what I see isn’t even the standard white). Common Porsche! You can do better that this.
BMW catches a lot of hell for being over-engineered, but BMW tech is LIGHT YEARS better than most manufacturers and Porsche in particular.
Old 07-16-2023 | 08:06 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I find this fascinating. I appreciate tech but don't you want it in the background in your 911? What's really needed besides, maps, hands-free calls, and playing your phone's music?

Just drive your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
AbsolutelyNobody (07-17-2023), lone992 (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023 | 11:41 AM
Spiffx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wilder
I find this fascinating. I appreciate tech but don't you want it in the background in your 911? What's really needed besides, maps, hands-free calls, and playing your phone's music?

Just drive your car.
I agree, I do prefer a fully analog 911! Singer comes to mind, but I can’t afford it. Nevertheless, all I’m saying is: if your going to put some digital BS in the car, you’ve got to do it right.

EDIT: When I engage reverse, and the rear camera and top view come up with an unpainted car, I feel disconnected from the experience (i.e., that’s not my car, what happened to my car?)

Last edited by Spiffx; 07-16-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2023 | 07:12 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by CZS
BMW catches a lot of hell for being over-engineered, but BMW tech is LIGHT YEARS better than most manufacturers and Porsche in particular.
I'm inclined to agree. My wife just replaced her 2019 330i (totaled) with a 2023. The instrument panel and electronic interfaces are on one very wide screen, reminds me of the F-35. HUD is more informative than before and integrates with carplay. Down side is everything is on the screen now, most non-screen controls are on steering wheel. Not terrible ... the ECS is one push on the screen ... but I would have preferred a few more ***** for things like temp, fan speed, etc. Overall its quite intuitive. Sometimes you drill down menus in PCM to find a feature, and you entered the menu from the wrong place.
Old 07-16-2023 | 07:27 PM
supershaft
Pro

Originally Posted by CZS
BMW doesn't even make cars anymore. Just appliances with large alibaba TVs glued to the dash.

Arguably the m2 is going to be the last good car they make and even that isn't without flaws
Wilder (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023 | 07:50 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spiffx
I agree, I do prefer a fully analog 911! Singer comes to mind, but I can’t afford it. Nevertheless, all I’m saying is: if your going to put some digital BS in the car, you’ve got to do it right.

EDIT: When I engage reverse, and the rear camera and top view come up with an unpainted car, I feel disconnected from the experience (i.e., that’s not my car, what happened to my car?)
I like my modern car. But I own a 911 to drive, not to have disco lights and the flashiest PCM. Just because BMW and MB want to turn their cabins into theater doesn't mean Porsche has to follow suit.
Old 07-16-2023 | 08:30 PM
Spiffx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wilder
I like my modern car. But I own a 911 to drive, not to have disco lights and the flashiest PCM. Just because BMW and MB want to turn their cabins into theater doesn't mean Porsche has to follow suit.
We’re in full agreement. Don’t do it or whatever you do, do it right.
Wilder (07-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Silly PCM question... Can you change the color of the little car on the screen?