992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Your Dream Observation(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021 | 12:44 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

How accurate did the TYD estimate for delivery to your dealer turn out once your car was on a RORO ship? Seems like the arrival date should prove accurate but perhaps still pessimistic? My car loaded on Feb. 1 in Emden headed for the port of Benicia ( San Francisco) and TYD says delivery to the dealer on March 5 — some 33 days with one stop in a port in Columbia before crossing in the Panama Canal.

Seems like 33 days is moving very slowly.

Old 02-02-2021 | 01:15 PM
frankchn
Pro

Originally Posted by Targa32
How accurate did the TYD estimate for delivery to your dealer turn out once your car was on a RORO ship? Seems like the arrival date should prove accurate but perhaps still pessimistic? My car loaded on Feb. 1 in Emden headed for the port of Benicia ( San Francisco) and TYD says delivery to the dealer on March 5 — some 33 days with one stop in a port in Columbia before crossing in the Panama Canal.

Seems like 33 days is moving very slowly.
As a point of reference, my car got loaded onto a ship on 1/7 and will arrive at Benicia 2/4. If you factor in a week for port processing, then delivery will occur 2/10 or 2/11.

You might get it a couple of days faster because my ship made stops in Guatemala and Mexico too, but in general it should be accurate enough.
Old 02-02-2021 | 03:57 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frankchn
As a point of reference, my car got loaded onto a ship on 1/7 and will arrive at Benicia 2/4. If you factor in a week for port processing, then delivery will occur 2/10 or 2/11.

You might get it a couple of days faster because my ship made stops in Guatemala and Mexico too, but in general it should be accurate enough.
Better bet is to either ask your dealer as they get the estimates of arrival from the Porsche system. Mine was pretty much spot on give or take a few days due to the hold on cars due to CARB last Fall. Another option is to use one of the maritime trackers via internet. Gave me pretty good SA once I knew the vessel name as to where my car actually was physically!

Vessel tracker #1 (Bremerhaven stop)

Vessel tracker #2 (South Hampton stop)

Vessel tracker #3 (Panama)

TYD arrival San Diego - dealer release
Old 02-03-2021 | 09:39 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

I called my sales manager today to make a change to my build, and they went into the "system" and made my requested changes, followed by sending me an updated build sheet reflecting the revisions that included by commission number.

Around that time, I got an invitation from TYD, so I logged in. Currently, TYD does not show the option changes of the revised build that my dealership executed today. Is there a lag in the build revision details that are shown in TYD during pre-production? Just wondering if I need call my dealer first thing in the morning to check on it...

Old 02-03-2021 | 09:46 PM
coastal
Instructor

It updates overnight.
Old 02-03-2021 | 10:03 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it’s better now, but I had my car in my possession for over a month before it updated beyond “on its way”. And I never got the second production line photo.

I’m not actually complaining :-) Bit for all the promise, if you’re one of the folks who doesn’t get the updated, close-to-real-time experience then it can be a bit of a letdown. But when your car arrives it’s amazing how TYD ceases to matter :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by markchristenson:
3uros (02-04-2021), mdrobc1213 (02-04-2021), Russian Mafia (02-03-2021)
Old 02-04-2021 | 04:54 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I called my sales manager today to make a change to my build, and they went into the "system" and made my requested changes, followed by sending me an updated build sheet reflecting the revisions that included by commission number.

Around that time, I got an invitation from TYD, so I logged in. Currently, TYD does not show the option changes of the revised build that my dealership executed today. Is there a lag in the build revision details that are shown in TYD during pre-production? Just wondering if I need call my dealer first thing in the morning to check on it...
TDY is notoriously laggy. It will show your car in production after its already reached the port for embarkation and in transit after delivery or at least mine was for about 1 week after delivery! LOL. Its a good space keeper and will give you some situational awareness just be advised that the dates are NOT in stone. I found my SA's printout from a snapshot of the Porsche system much more accurate.
Old 02-04-2021 | 12:06 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marantz2270

My SA told me the build sheet is what the factory will rely upon whereas TYD and the configurator are customer use oriented and often lag with updates. That said, if it were me, I’d confirm with your SA and have him respond in writing.
Old 02-04-2021 | 12:13 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
My SA told me the build sheet is what the factory will rely upon whereas TYD and the configurator are customer use oriented and often lag with updates. That said, if it were me, I’d confirm with your SA and have him respond in writing.
Definitely. With one build change that I made, it took TYD a couple of weeks to update. Whenever I make a change my SM routinely emails me a pdf of the revised build sheet from their system. Seems like good business practice and should be done routinely. On more than a couple occasions where I made several changes at once I would find that something was missed. Easy to cross check by just confirming the revised price, and then looking for the discrepancy.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021 | 12:26 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Definitely. With one build change that I made, it took TYD a couple of weeks to update. Whenever I make a change my SM routinely emails me a pdf of the revised build sheet from their system. Seems like good business practice and should be done routinely. On more than a couple occasions where I made several changes at once I would find that something was missed. Easy to cross check by just confirming the revised price, and then looking for the discrepancy.
In competitive golf, players trade cards at the beginning of a round, then return them to each other at the end and if correct sign them. So while I agree with you, ever since a pro golfer relative got DQ-D from a tournament when he was 12 by making the assumption the total score on the card being correct meant the hole by hole scores marked by another player in his group were correct, when they weren’t (two mistakes offset), I haven’t been able to do it that way.
Old 02-04-2021 | 12:39 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
In competitive golf, players trade cards at the beginning of a round, then return them to each other at the end and if correct sign them. So while I agree with you, ever since a pro golfer relative got DQ-D from a tournament when he was 12 by making the assumption the total score on the card being correct meant the hole by hole scores marked by another player in his group were correct, when they weren’t (two mistakes offset), I haven’t been able to do it that way.
Indeed. The price check is the screen. Always have to review line items, but lower “index of suspicion” if the bottom line is in sync.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021 | 12:55 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Hello Mark,
What tires did you get? I’m in OH and expecting delivery next month and wondering if it will have winter tires.
Thx!
Old 02-14-2021 | 09:39 PM
shark715
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
It is entirely random....lot of guys never got anything. I didn't. Some do. No rhyme or reason as to who and when it will appear if it does. Good luck.
So if I'm one of the lucky ones to get a photo, where would I see it? According to TYD my car is in production right now.
Old 02-14-2021 | 09:43 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shark715
So if I'm one of the lucky ones to get a photo, where would I see it? According to TYD my car is in production right now.
You'll find it on the MyPorsche website. I got one photo post-production, and it didn't post until 10 days to 2 weeks after it completed production. This shot seems to be the one that's most commonly provided.

Old 02-14-2021 | 10:17 PM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by dgtarga
You'll find it on the MyPorsche website. I got one photo post-production, and it didn't post until 10 days to 2 weeks after it completed production. This shot seems to be the one that's most commonly provided.

Where exactly do you go on the MyPorsche website to find it, I'm lost? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Track Your Dream Observation(s)