Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires on 19/20 Porsche winter setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 11:27 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 786 Posts
Default What tires on 19/20 Porsche winter setup?

A few folks here drive their 992s in winter and have purchased the OE 19/20 wheels with Porsche-supplied winter tires. I have been underwhelmed by Porsche N-spec winter tires on past cars. I'm wondering what tires owners received and whether - like summer tires - there is more than one winter tire spec'd for the 992. If I don't go for the wheel/tire setup, I'd want the base 19/20 wheels, but powder coat them (don't care for the silver) and source my own tires, knowing that last winter selection was VERY limited and may not be much better this coming winter.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
A few folks here drive their 992s in winter and have purchased the OE 19/20 wheels with Porsche-supplied winter tires. I have been underwhelmed by Porsche N-spec winter tires on past cars. I'm wondering what tires owners received and whether - like summer tires - there is more than one winter tire spec'd for the 992. If I don't go for the wheel/tire setup, I'd want the base 19/20 wheels, but powder coat them (don't care for the silver) and source my own tires, knowing that last winter selection was VERY limited and may not be much better this coming winter.
I am curious as well as I want to get my winter set this summer sometime, to have them ready to go. Off topic, but I read recently that 992s with RAS (Which mine has) cannot go with 19/20s and have to go with 20/21s - which is a bummer, as I wanted more sidewall for my winter driving. So now will pay the premium for the 20/21s. It seems the only wheels and tires I seem to come across are the ones Porsche OEM are offering...
Old 06-20-2020, 01:08 PM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I am curious as well as I want to get my winter set this summer sometime, to have them ready to go. Off topic, but I read recently that 992s with RAS (Which mine has) cannot go with 19/20s and have to go with 20/21s - which is a bummer, as I wanted more sidewall for my winter driving. So now will pay the premium for the 20/21s. It seems the only wheels and tires I seem to come across are the ones Porsche OEM are offering...
19/20 cannot be used on a car with PCCB ( disks too big for those ) ,but where the reliable source of this no RAS thing ?

techequipment finder ( in UK ) disagrees

EDIT: just tried to configure a new car 992S for example...with 20/21 wheels chosen for main and RAS configured.....winter 19/20 can be added in the configuration of chosen options.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Blentz2
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 20/21 winter wheels with Michelin pilot alpin tires.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:14 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by PBM
19/20 cannot be used on a car with PCCB ( disks too big for those ) ,but where the reliable source of this no RAS thing ?

techequipment finder ( in UK ) disagrees

EDIT: just tried to configure a new car 992S for example...with 20/21 wheels chosen for main and RAS configured.....winter 19/20 can be added in the configuration of chosen options.

From the owners manual: See second note just after PCCB note at bottom of image...

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 06-20-2020 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PBM (06-21-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:17 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blentz2
I did 20/21 winter wheels with Michelin pilot alpin tires.
Did you buy a separate set of wheels from dealer and add Pilot Alpins sourced from somewhere else? Where did you find the tires?
Old 06-20-2020, 08:37 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 821 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Did you buy a separate set of wheels from dealer and add Pilot Alpins sourced from somewhere else? Where did you find the tires?
I had a set of Michelin PA5's mounted on the stock wheels that came with my car. They dealership will try to tell you that 295 width tires won't fit on 11.5" wide wheels, but just tell them that you know for a fact it works and to put them on anyways. Porsche wants you to buy their $6k+ winter wheel/tire setup, which isn't necessary to do. This will work just fine. I ordered my tires from TireRack. You may have to select the tires manually, because it won't show these tires as being available for a 992. Again, this is due to Porsche and their specifications for the 992.

If you really want a set of tires that match the original tires sizes, TirerRack has a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II available in the correct size, but they aren't N-rated like the Michelins. Personally, I loved the PA5 and decided to keep them on my stock wheels as my dedicated winter setup and then I ordered a set of lightweight OZ wheels from TireRack to be my summer wheels.

I hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by AKSteve:
gcurnew (06-21-2020), inastrangeland (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 02:25 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I had a set of Michelin PA5's mounted on the stock wheels that came with my car. They dealership will try to tell you that 295 width tires won't fit on 11.5" wide wheels, but just tell them that you know for a fact it works and to put them on anyways. Porsche wants you to buy their $6k+ winter wheel/tire setup, which isn't necessary to do. This will work just fine. I ordered my tires from TireRack. You may have to select the tires manually, because it won't show these tires as being available for a 992. Again, this is due to Porsche and their specifications for the 992.

If you really want a set of tires that match the original tires sizes, TirerRack has a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II available in the correct size, but they aren't N-rated like the Michelins. Personally, I loved the PA5 and decided to keep them on my stock wheels as my dedicated winter setup and then I ordered a set of lightweight OZ wheels from TireRack to be my summer wheels.

I hope this helps.
Helps tremendously. Thanks.

Quick Reply: What tires on 19/20 Porsche winter setup?