9.22%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Paint Protection Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 08:13 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Here's another plus to wax vs Ceramic.... unless someone wants to school me and tell me I'm wrong here....

With Wax, you can layer and layer and layer it (with in reason).... say wash it once a week, and wax it once a week...

But I'm being told that "Reload" and other toppers are to be used once every "Few months"... so then what do I do, just wash the car??? how boring! 😂😂😂
Old 06-23-2020, 09:52 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 821 Likes on 458 Posts

I've heard that if you get a ceramic coating done, you can only get the very basic, no-wax car wash option at touchless carwashes. Any truth to this?
Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by sweylo
I have a stupid question: does having full PPF mean that we can now take the vehicle through automated car washes without having to worry about swirl marks? If so that would be really nice and a huge advantage in terms of convenience.
Think of your PPF as another coat of clear coat you just paid a lot of money to have applied. Would you now want to expose it to the same scratching your cars clear coat would endure ? It's not Kevlar it's film.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:44 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
Here's another plus to wax vs Ceramic.... unless someone wants to school me and tell me I'm wrong here....

With Wax, you can layer and layer and layer it (with in reason).... say wash it once a week, and wax it once a week...

But I'm being told that "Reload" and other toppers are to be used once every "Few months"... so then what do I do, just wash the car??? how boring! 😂😂😂
You can apply Elixir from Car Pro after every wash as a finish detailer even when the car is wet if you choose.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (06-23-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:52 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gables
I'm on the fence and struggling with the ¨PPF vs No PPF" dilemma. Here's an example that gives me some pause...

Owner A drives a 992 with no PPF and sustains multiple nicks and chips to the OEM paint.

Owner B drives the same 992 but has PPF and sustains similarly sized nicks and chips. These visible marks are to the film and not the underlying OEM paint.

Depending on how one views these imperfections, both vehicles show either naturally acceptable patina or unsightly and unacceptable damage/marks. While either perspective is acceptable, the visible result is the same - both vehicles show essentially the same wear and tear. Therefore, what is the perceived benefit of PPF? Is it simply that Owner B someday is likely to "restore" the appearance by removing the PPF and exposing the OEM paint? That might not take place for several years. In the interim, how much joy does Owner B experience by driving a PPF protected vehicle that shows the same imperfections as Owner A's unprotected vehicle? Until you actually get around to removing the film, Owner B is driving a 992 that looks substantially similar to Owner A's 992 . Is the satisfaction of knowing that the underlying paint is probably undamaged enough to justify the cost for Owner B?

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong as the so-called self-healing aspects would result in less visible damage and make my example moot or that the added protection of film will significantly reduce the impact and severity of rock chips, etc.

Thoughts?
I had PPF on my black 17 M3 and will most likely never get again as it really highlighted the damage to me worse than if film were not there...and costly to replace which I just wasn't going to do often...I'll take my chances on a quality repaint years down the road if need be.
sweylo (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 02:18 PM
sweylo
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
I had PPF on my black 17 M3 and will most likely never get again as it really highlighted the damage to me worse than if film were not there...and costly to replace which I just wasn't going to do often...I'll take my chances on a quality repaint years down the road if need be.
I've also been on the fence regarding the installation of PPF once my 992 C2S arrives but lately I've been leaning towards not getting it. Since it seems to cost around 5 grand for a full PPF, I don't see how it could possibly cost more than that to fix any nicks and/or scratches that develop over time.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:18 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 245 Posts

Did it highlight damage in the film, or damage through the film and into the paint? If the damage is just on the film, that is the entire point of the film. The film is not there to make the car look good, or to keep it looking good. If the car is driven, the film will get beaten up, but the paint is protected. My opinion on film is that it is there to preserve the factory paint, not preserve short term appearance.

this is what the plastic side skirts on my car look like after only 4.5 months / 2900 kms on the 1 ft section in front of the rear tires that flare out into the path of debris from the front tires. Luckily I think these plastic parts are cheap to replace, but I cringe 😬 to know what my paint above would look like without PPF.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:27 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
Did it highlight damage in the film, or damage through the film and into the paint? If the damage is just on the film, that is the entire point of the film. The film is not there to make the car look good, or to keep it looking good. If the car is driven, the film will get beaten up, but the paint is protected. My opinion on film is that it is there to preserve the factory paint, not preserve short term appearance.

this is what the plastic side skirts on my car look like after only 4.5 months / 2900 kms on the 1 ft section in front of the rear tires that flare out into the path of debris from the front tires. Luckily I think these plastic parts are cheap to replace, but I cringe 😬 to know what my paint above would look like without PPF.
A big reason I went with the SD side-skirts. Aesthetics aside, the way they are designed keeps rocks from hitting up against the side of the car (especially the rockers), and actually help the rear quarter panels from getting blasted as well. Those on the fence with the side-skirts, I'd definitely recommend them for function over form.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:37 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
A big reason I went with the SD side-skirts. Aesthetics aside, the way they are designed keeps rocks from hitting up against the side of the car (especially the rockers), and actually help the rear quarter panels from getting blasted as well. Those on the fence with the side-skirts, I'd definitely recommend them for function over form.
SD side skirts are painted, right? If the GTS model, when released, comes with matte black side skirts I think I’m going to install them. The 992 has wider hips than 991, do not underestimate the carnage that the front tires will inflict. The small piece of factory ppf is laughable & nowhere near adequate. I can live with repainting a bumper, maybe even a hood, as those parts can be removed & done properly. Painting the body.... really hard to get a job as good as the factory & they can’t bake it at the same temperature because of all the plastics and electronics already in the car
Old 06-26-2020, 03:03 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

can we see this from afar? what color is the car?
Old 06-26-2020, 03:11 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Most of damage was only film and a couple through film to paint...but my point was it looked bad unless I replaced film which I wasn't going to keep doing at those high costs.

I've had cars without film and with chips, etc. and I didn't notice those as much as I did film gash/discoloring over time.

Preserve the paint for what purpose though? To see it when you sell it? (Not trying to be an a$$ but it really is to each their own...I'm just not a fan of having it.) :-)
Old 06-26-2020, 03:45 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Most of damage was only film and a couple through film to paint...but my point was it looked bad unless I replaced film which I wasn't going to keep doing at those high costs.

I've had cars without film and with chips, etc. and I didn't notice those as much as I did film gash/discoloring over time.

Preserve the paint for what purpose though? To see it when you sell it? (Not trying to be an a$$ but it really is to each their own...I'm just not a fan of having it.) :-)
Fair enough, no offense taken 😃. I was just giving my strong opinion based on my experience with this car & my personality and tolerance for road patina. It’s the first car I’ve owned that I PPFd & my first car that won’t be a daily driver but may see more trips, highway miles, and curvy & twisty roads.

I’ve had panels repainted on other cars before, and I can usually tell. I don’t know how long I’ll keep the car right now, it could be long term. I want to preserve the paint for myself and my peace of mind, not worried about condition for next owner or selling it.

if I knew for sure I’d trade it on a newer one in a few years, I wouldn’t have the same mindset.... and that definitely highlights that everyone has a different perspective.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:51 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Fair enough, no offense taken 😃. I was just giving my strong opinion based on my experience with this car & my personality and tolerance for road patina. It’s the first car I’ve owned that I PPFd & my first car that won’t be a daily driver but may see more trips, highway miles, and curvy & twisty roads.

I’ve had panels repainted on other cars before, and I can usually tell. I don’t know how long I’ll keep the car right now, it could be long term. I want to preserve the paint for myself and my peace of mind, not worried about condition for next owner or selling it.

if I knew for sure I’d trade it on a newer one in a few years, I wouldn’t have the same mindset.... and that definitely highlights that everyone has a different perspective.
I know it can preserve paint...but YOU aren't actually even seeing/enjoying the paint! :-) Haha...these are all the thoughts I had after getting PPF for first/last time...
P-car-Vancouver (07-21-2021)
Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,490 Posts

SD side skirts are painted, right? If the GTS model, when released, comes with matte black side skirts I think I’m going to install them. The 992 has wider hips than 991, do not underestimate the carnage that the front tires will inflict. The small piece of factory ppf is laughable & nowhere near adequate. I can live with repainting a bumper, maybe even a hood, as those parts can be removed & done properly. Painting the body.... really hard to get a job as good as the factory & they can’t bake it at the same temperature because of all the plastics and electronics already in the car
They are painted yes, but they flare out far enough that any rocks that come up are underneath the visibly painted area on the side skirt. That characteristic also protects the PPF on the hips, by altering the path of debris thrashing the rockers & quarter panels. Regardless though, I ALWAYS get a custom PPF cut applied to replace the factory film.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:57 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Assuming you lease from PFS (I'm aware of the $ downsides in PFS leasing), does anyone know if they or the dealer require any non factory installed PPF to be removed at time of lease surrender or trade up.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Poll