Sponsored by:

Can someone explain the whole sim card thing please

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 03:28 AM
COLT601
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Can someone explain the whole sim card thing please

Picking up my new 992 next month. I've read the car needs a SIM card. Is this supplied by the factory? Do I bring my own from Verizon? IE purchase a sim card with a data package? What is it used for? What all does the porsche connect app do?

I only use Androids so no apple car play for me
The following users liked this post:
Keb1033 (11-11-2023)

Popular Reply

06-09-2020, 04:22 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

I will do my best.

(1) the car is connected to Porsche with a built in SIM - let’s call it A.

SIM A is used by the Porsche Connect system to provide SOS calling and to support the Porsche Connect App features. When you buy the car you create a connect ID and enable these services.

SIM A is built into the car on delivery. Depending on your country you get a different period during which this service is free. After that you can extend it for a fee if you still want Porsche Connect services.

You can also buy an additional data allowance from Porsche which is delivered using SIM A. It supports the PCM apps like weather and Napster. It can also be used for internet access via the in car hotspot by other devices. Over here it’s limited to 7 GB a month but it does work all over Europe.

(2) in the armrest there is a SIM slot. Here you can put in your own SIM from any mobile comms company. Let’s call this SIM B.

SIM B can be a ‘data only’ SIM in which case it supports the PCM apps and internet over the car’s hotspot. It can also be set up to support mobile phone calls via the PCM if your SIM B tariff includes calls with data.

I am not certain but I believe that SIM B cannot be used instead of a SIM A subscription to support Porsche Connect services. I believe you will have to subscribe to this service separately at the end of the free period if you want to still use it.

You do not need SIM B if you either do not want to use the PCM weather and music apps or if you plan to use option 3 below instead.

(3) Your mobile phone has a SIM providing data and calls. Let’s call this SIM C.

You can switch off the PCM Hotspot and connect the car to your phone’s WiFi hotspot. The PCM will then use SIM C to provide web access to the PCM apps.

If you also plug in your phone with a USB cable, or use the Bluetooth connection, you will be able to make calls via the PCM.

Yes, it’s a muddle.

I’m not really interested in poor value data packages from Porsche. Especially since my phone tariff includes unlimited 4G data and all country roaming.

I would prefer the car to be a car, and to connect to the internet for TIDAL, net radio and PCM apps via a cable plugged into my phone.

I haven’t been able to get it to work quite that simply. PCM Apps use my phone’s WiFi hotspot. CarPlay uses the cable. The PCM phone interface appears to use Bluetooth. All at the same time. It’s a workable if inelegant solution. You just have to manually connect to the phone’s hotspot every now and then.

Postscript: Some folk using security cameras have opted to fit a rechargeable portable mobile router. They hardwire the router into a permanent electrical feed at the fuse box. They put their own SIM B in this mobile router and connect both the PCM and their cameras to the portable router’s WiFi network. This approach ensures the cameras are permanently on and permanently connected no matter how long ago you switched off the car. There are other threads discussing how to do this.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:22 AM
JHesketh
Racer

I will do my best.

SIM A is used by the Porsche Connect system to provide SOS calling and to support the Porsche Connect App features. When you buy the car you create a connect ID and enable these services.

SIM A is built into the car on delivery. Depending on your country you get a different period during which this service is free. After that you can extend it for a fee if you still want Porsche Connect services.

You can also buy an additional data allowance from Porsche which is delivered using SIM A. It supports the PCM apps like weather and Napster. It can also be used for internet access via the in car hotspot by other devices. Over here it’s limited to 7 GB a month but it does work all over Europe.

(2) in the armrest there is a SIM slot. Here you can put in your own SIM from any mobile comms company. Let’s call this SIM B.

SIM B can be a ‘data only’ SIM in which case it supports the PCM apps and internet over the car’s hotspot. It can also be set up to support mobile phone calls via the PCM if your SIM B tariff includes calls with data.

I am not certain but I believe that SIM B cannot be used instead of a SIM A subscription to support Porsche Connect services. I believe you will have to subscribe to this service separately at the end of the free period if you want to still use it.

You do not need SIM B if you either do not want to use the PCM weather and music apps or if you plan to use option 3 below instead.

(3) Your mobile phone has a SIM providing data and calls. Let’s call this SIM C.

You can switch off the PCM Hotspot and connect the car to your phone’s WiFi hotspot. The PCM will then use SIM C to provide web access to the PCM apps.

If you also plug in your phone with a USB cable, or use the Bluetooth connection, you will be able to make calls via the PCM.

Yes, it’s a muddle.

I’m not really interested in poor value data packages from Porsche. Especially since my phone tariff includes unlimited 4G data and all country roaming.

I would prefer the car to be a car, and to connect to the internet for TIDAL, net radio and PCM apps via a cable plugged into my phone.

I haven’t been able to get it to work quite that simply. PCM Apps use my phone’s WiFi hotspot. CarPlay uses the cable. The PCM phone interface appears to use Bluetooth. All at the same time. It’s a workable if inelegant solution. You just have to manually connect to the phone’s hotspot every now and then.

Postscript: Some folk using security cameras have opted to fit a rechargeable portable mobile router. They hardwire the router into a permanent electrical feed at the fuse box. They put their own SIM B in this mobile router and connect both the PCM and their cameras to the portable router’s WiFi network. This approach ensures the cameras are permanently on and permanently connected no matter how long ago you switched off the car. There are other threads discussing how to do this.

Last edited by JHesketh; 06-09-2020 at 04:42 AM.
The following 20 users liked this post by JHesketh:
3RsInCarrera (06-12-2020), 997usa (04-19-2021), AD992 (06-09-2020), aggie57 (04-21-2021), Bluehighways (09-12-2020), bobblehead (04-18-2021), ByByBMW (11-30-2023), detansinn (09-12-2020), findtom (06-09-2020), LiveNupe (08-08-2023), mohawk5010 (09-27-2020), Nothingtoc (04-22-2021), Overdraft (04-20-2021), por356 (04-20-2021), russbert (06-09-2020), SamD (09-13-2020), Sangho Chung (04-18-2021), Schwarz992C4S (06-11-2020), spaghettiab (09-12-2020), WellDressedCar (06-09-2020) and 15 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:28 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

I believe the cost after the first year in the USA is 500$

Total joke and only those with money falling out of their pockets will pay for this
Old 06-09-2020, 12:11 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by COLT601
What all does the porsche connect app do?
The App is just a Way of monitoring a suite of on-line services provided by Porsche. These include:

vehicle identification: your chassis VIN number, car model and specification. It’s quite cute in the way it really does show a picture of the car you specified ie the colour, model, interior, exhaust, headlights, wheels are all correct

car status information: is it locked, miles to next refill, tyre pressures, miles to next service and oil change, oil level, trip data, average fuel consumption.

driving mode control: you can remote switch on and off a valet mode that reports excessive speed or significant travel from point of handing over keys.

remote locking and alarm notification: you can use your phone to lock your car over the ether. It will also warn you if an alarm is triggered.

location data: shows where the car is now (Or rather where it was when it last connected) on a google map.

emergency response: either triggered through the app or the sos button, or automatically in the event of a crash. Your location is sent to Porsche who coordinate roadside assistance, recovery and emergency services.

service appointment booking: I believe this also sends basic car status info to your chosen Porsche main service centre. Phone or email works better in my experience.

​​​​​​​manage additional services: you can enable and disable paid for services like the additional data package.

map updates: the car will automatically keep your navigation maps up to date whilst your subscription is current.

over the air software updates: not sure that this is fully operational just yet but it is part of the Connect suite capability.

marketing type contact with Porsche: one of the apps collates press release style articles, and other promotional information.

on-line owners manual.

​​​​​​​I think that covers it. Nothing essential. Some useful things like alarm warnings, remote locking, and roadside assistance.

The following 2 users liked this post by JHesketh:
bobblehead (04-18-2021), mohawk5010 (09-27-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:57 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

The connect services are ludicrous. If you think this is convoluted, you should see the 991.2 solution when it first came out. Charging for traffic and google maps when offering CarPlay. I guess it suits Android users.

I have t-mobile with 2 free lines that grandfathered from a promotion. I use each SIM card in each car (992 and Cayenne) making the PCM the hotspot source for my phone and dashcam.

The car would otherwise connect using the the eSIM embedded on the PCM to connect to their servers and provide the so called connected services. Currently, The car uses my SIM card to generate WiFi hotspot, which my phone uses to connect, making the Porsche connect app available (Amazon music, Napster etc).

The wireless CarPlay uses a combo of WiFi and BT to connect to the car. Internet connection is again provided by the SIM card in the slot in my case but could be through the phone.

It's quite confusing and prone to errors. When you get it right it's quite seamless. That until PCNA decides to upgrade the software through he dealer (like they did 2 weeks back).
Liquidgold (11-06-2021)
Old 06-10-2020, 04:33 AM
COLT601
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
I will do my best.

Yes, it’s a muddle.

Wonderful explanation! Thank you for taking the time to post
The following 7 users liked this post by COLT601:
997usa (04-19-2021), Bassman37 (10-25-2021), JHesketh (06-11-2020), LiveNupe (08-08-2023), mathus7 (04-20-2021), por356 (04-20-2021), Schwarz992C4S (06-11-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-10-2020, 06:11 AM
PacoST
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Very good explanation,but i am wondering now,i am in roaming with my car here in Europe and the data sign is crossed out (no data , no connection) ,So my question is where i can see how much data i used or when the new month is (or new data ) is available ,or even does the data from Porsche support roaming?
JHesketh (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:22 AM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by PacoST
Very good explanation,but i am wondering now,i am in roaming with my car here in Europe and the data sign is crossed out (no data , no connection) ,So my question is where i can see how much data i used or when the new month is (or new data ) is available ,or even does the data from Porsche support roaming?
This should be available using MY PORSCHE website. In USA the SIM provider for Porsche is AT&T and the Porsche Connect takes one to an AT&T website which provides usage data and link to purchase more bits.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:42 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensivak
I believe the cost after the first year in the USA is 500$
Really? That's absurd.
Bassman37 (10-25-2021)
Old 06-11-2020, 05:10 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by PacoST
The Porsche Connect services work across Europe. Roaming is part of the Service.

If you have subscribed to the Porsche supplementary data package, that is also pan-Europe ie no roaming charges.

If you have subscribed to this service (€39 per month I think) you should be able to see Your data status in the Porsche Connect App > My Account > Services section. I haven’t subscribed so cannot send you a picture.

If you have bought a phone SIM with data in an EU member state, I believe European Union law now requires that these companies no longer charge roaming fees within the European Economic Area.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:23 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Really? That's absurd.
"free" with 1st year after new car purchase in UK , and renewal is 89 GBP for the next year . $500 sounds like some other package , rather than Porsche connect .... like the Porsche vehicle tracking system active contract . Even at that * which is 219GBP which includes the 20 tax we pay it still doesn't tally
Old 09-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Kevinius
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the explanations in this thread and apologies for jumping in here with a different question.
I want to connect to my iPhone’s personal hotspot, but the option to even search for WIFi Hotspots is not available in my PCM device manager and I don’t have a clue why not. It’s supposed to work like this:

Does anyone here know why I don’t have that menu option?
See screenshot attached.

I’ve tried numerous things; disabling PCM Phone, disconnecting Bluetooth and WiFi on my phone, forgetting device etc.
I am able to connect to my iPhone’s hotspot with the rear seat entertainment tablet, but when opening a browser or YouTube there is a message that the PCM should be connected to the same hotspot (which I can’t search for &#128521.

WiFi menu in PCM

Old 09-12-2020, 08:13 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I don't have my car yet (November) but I would be VERY interested in using my iPhone as the HotSpot for the PCM.

Looking at the electronic version of the Owners Manual it looks like this is possible. I'm wondering if Kevinius can't access the option described in the Owners Manual because Porsche has the (currently free in a new car) Porsche Connect WiFi turned on.

I've attached a copy of the section of the Owners Manual that certainly looks like Kevinius is in the right spot . . . but there clearly is no option to connect to an external HotSpot as described in the Owners Manual as "Search for WiFi hotspot:"

Attached Images  

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-12-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:21 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,095 Likes on 2,994 Posts

My renewal is showing $200. It’s not $500.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:50 AM
Kevinius
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I don't have my car yet (November) but I would be VERY interested in using my iPhone as the HotSpot for the PCM.

Looking at the electronic version of the Owners Manual it looks like this is possible. I'm wondering if Kevinius can't access the option described in the Owners Manual because Porsche has the (currently free in a new car Porsche Connect WiFi turned on.

I've attached a copy of the section of the Owners Manual that certainly looks like Kevinius is in the right spot . . . but there clearly is no option to connect to an external HotSpot as described in the Owners Manual as "Search for WiFi hotspot:"

Strange right? This is a 2019 Panamera Turbo S with integrated SIM, PCM connect subscription and Porsche Car Connect active.

I can configure the PCM hotspot itself, but when connecting to that hotspot with my phone or RSES it connects but it doesn’t have an actual internet connection. Probably because you’ll need that 7gb data subscription, which I want to avoid by using my current telco subscription on my phone.
Without this option my $3500 RSES option is completely useless!
btw: where can I find the digital car manual?

Last edited by Kevinius; 09-13-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the whole sim card thing please