Sponsored by:

What do you pay for car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 02:19 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Unbelievable quote

So this thread was giving me some stress as I wait for my ‘21 C2S with all performance options. Called Progressive for basic 100/250/250 quote and as I braced for impact, was quoted $31 extra dollars per month. $1000k deductible. It’s my third car after 2021 Tesla and 2019 Volvo XC60. I am an ‘Emerald’ customer, whatever that means.
Thought I’d share the experience. Will update once i actually I actually have the car added to the policy. My home coverage is also through them.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:44 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,257 Posts

$1,420/year (for just the Porsche), $1,000 deductible, very good liability and medical coverage, no tickets, no "at fault" accidents, two cars, three motorcycles, one home and just the wife and me located in orange county southern California. USAA insurance, been with them now for what must be 40 years or so.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:16 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I have had Geico for 30 years. Always had great rate for several cars even when my sons were young and starting to drive. I moved to Florida 2 years ago and was surprised how expensive car insurance is down here.
I got a lower quote from Progressive, called Geico and they matched it. I have higher coverage and a $2mill umbrella @ $1000 every 6 months for my TTS and my wife’s Macan. More than I was paying in Pa but as good as I could in Fl.
Originally Posted by wasabi4
I have an umbrella policy through Travelers (they have a discount through my work) and my home and auto are through State Farm. Their requirements for coverage were certain monetary requirements on the home and auto coverage. Didn't see any questions regarding the insurance policy having to be through one company when I signed up.
Originally Posted by patentguy
I had the same issue with Farmers. I switched autos (992, 997 and Lexus) to Porsche insurance, and Farmers told me that I couldn't keep umbrella even though I had house coverage with them. It turns out they can't cancel umbrella until next January, so next year I will have to figure out an alternative. If any Porsche Insurance company users find an answer to this, let us know.
Originally Posted by ngamountains
I don’t have a good answer for you, but thought I’d read your reply since I knew you were in Georgia, as am I. Just thought I’d mention I’m with State Farm, and they’re the same way, no umbrella without insuring all the underlying liabilities (cars). I, as you, will be interested to hear of others that do it differently.
Following up for those interested. I added an SQ7 to my Geico policy yesterday. (woohoo!) and in the process asked Geico WTF was up with them not wanting to insure all my cars under their umbrella policy. They offered a new umbrella via https://www.rlicorp.com/personal-umbrella-policy

This company actually quoted me a less expensive rate for all assets, same coverage levels and allows me to keep my Porsche Insurance too. Looks like a win/win/win. Hope I never have to use it.

The following 2 users liked this post by GeoJoe:
Master Deep (03-03-2021), ngamountains (03-04-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 08:50 AM
patentguy
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

That's a good resource. Thanks. I insure all of my cars with Porsche insurance (now down to 992 and Lexus, since I sold my 997 last week), so I may end up with three different companies - one for cars, one for house, and one for umbrella.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:51 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

In Utah, it isn't difficult to get popped with a DUI with officer discretion down to .01. I got the wrong cop coming out of a bar 7 years ago, blew .05, well below the supposed legal limit at the time (.08), but the cop was determined, I plead down to impaired driver and it was on my record for 5 years. Insurance companies don't distinguish between Impaired Driver and DUI.

Since I'd been with Farmers I had to stay with Farmers which included home, auto and umbrella. But adding the 992 recently Farmers seemed high. So ran a few quotes with Allstate, Geico and Progressive. Progressive was by far the lowest. Now I have annual coverage home, auto (2021 992 and 2000 Cayenne) and umbrella for $2,600 with pretty high limits and liberal coverage which to me is more important than rate. That's less than half what I'd pay with Farmers. $1,700 for the two Porsches.

Clean record and no claims going back 7 years to the Impaired Driver. Progressive provided auto, umbrella and agented a home policy with Nationwide.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for this thread and your responses. I increased our collision deductible from $500 to $1000 because it reduces our auto insurance by $400 yearly for our 992 and Range Rover Sport SVR. I've only paid that collision deductible a couple times over the last decade so the trade-off looks good. We're still paying a lot for both cars and living in SF.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:56 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Following up for those interested. I added an SQ7 to my Geico policy yesterday. (woohoo!) and in the process asked Geico WTF was up with them not wanting to insure all my cars under their umbrella policy. They offered a new umbrella via https://www.rlicorp.com/personal-umbrella-policy

This company actually quoted me a less expensive rate for all assets, same coverage levels and allows me to keep my Porsche Insurance too. Looks like a win/win/win. Hope I never have to use it.
Thanks, Joe. Maybe if we get out for another ride now that the weather’s on the improve, I could buy you lunch and learn a bit more about the details here.
The following users liked this post:
GeoJoe (03-04-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 177 Posts

For a F-250 liability only and the 2021 992 I am at 1438 every six months. Full glass coverage and rental are in there. A breakdown of the big things: Collision $532, other than collision $282, glass $199. No comp or collision on the truck...Amica is my policy holder for home, umbrella and auto. For both vehicles the liability is $500k and roughly $500 for both bodily injury and property damage. I do have two claims under $10k total (which Amica said was their rate enhancer value) for a "boulder" that popped up off the road on my Q8 and a 1 mph kiss my truck bumper backing out of the garage...dumbass.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:50 PM
Zoeston
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how about you, but for me, the insurance question is very complex. It gives me a lot of headaches when I have to choose a good company. Also, they all got crazy prices and ****ty terms and conditions. It was hard for me to find the perfect insurance for my beloved car. I used a platform that is selecting you for the best insurance offer. I've studied very carefully the terms and conditions of one plan that I choose. Also, I found exciting prices there. Anyway, the market is full of these "fake" insurance companies.

Last edited by Zoeston; 04-25-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:52 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoeston
I don't know how about you, but for me, the insurance question is very complex. It gives me a lot of headaches when I have to choose a good company
...and it might be the most expensive, most boring thing I have to shop for.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:59 PM
TR772
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Shopping for quotes and was just curious about what some of you are seeing right now ? Is the below decent ? Note: I'm in South Florida...

Just got one from USAA:

2022 - 992 Carrera
$1128 (6-month prem)
BI - 300/500k (per person / per accident)
Property - 100k
Deductible - 1000
Car replacement - 20% additional

Last edited by TR772; 01-14-2022 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:29 AM
Hammbone50
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 40 Posts

Some good info in this thread. I just swapped my insurance from Geico to Amica today trying to plan for incoming 992 GTS in 2 months. Raised my coverage from 300 at GEICO to 1mil at Amica and added 1mil umbrella on top of that (they will only
allow me to do 1 mil umbrella as I am a new customer and after first year I can raise it) and its still saving me $800 a year. My own fault for sticking with GEICO that long. Clearly I was being over charged!
Old 01-14-2022, 01:22 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 920 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammbone50
Some good info in this thread. I just swapped my insurance from Geico to Amica today trying to plan for incoming 992 GTS in 2 months. Raised my coverage from 300 at GEICO to 1mil at Amica and added 1mil umbrella on top of that (they will only
allow me to do 1 mil umbrella as I am a new customer and after first year I can raise it) and its still saving me $800 a year. My own fault for sticking with GEICO that long. Clearly I was being over charged!
I am surprised, I have been with Amica for decades (not for a 911) - they are very expensive, looking at what I pay on my current policy - I can't even imagine using them for a 911 in NY.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:24 AM
hal2626
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allstate Milewise $2 a day plus approx. 6 cents per mile for my 21 Carrera C2. I have 3 other cars with them at roughly half that rate. $1 a day plus approx. 3 cents per mile. 72 year old male in Texas 16 Challenger Scat pack (500 hp) 19 Jeep Wrangler 4 dr. 19 Ram 1500 5.7 Lonestar 250K liability etc. All four cars in total are less than $2,500 per YEAR even after adding mileage. I have a 1 million dollar umbrella policy elsewhere for around $600 - covers cars, home, 4 cycles and a side by side 4 wheeler.

Last edited by hal2626; 01-14-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:19 AM
tomingrassia
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSD
A lot of what someone pays for insurance will depend on coverage, so it's not really apples to apples, not to complicate a simple question (sorry). Meaning a bodily injury liability coverage of $25,000 0r $100,000/$300,000 policy will be less than a $1,000,000 liability coverage, plus uninsured/underinsured, deductibles..

You should have a minimum $1,000,000 liability coverage. plus $1,000,000 Uninsured/underinsured (i.e., someone hits you and has low or no insurance, your own insurance carrier will provide "uninsured/underinsured" coverage). Usually you can't get a higher limit UIM than you have bodily injury, at least in CA. I practice law in this area, I'll spare you all my reasons for this recommendation, just trust me... I see it all the time - someone gets hurt real bad in a crash that isn't their fault, the at fault person has ****ty or minimal insurance, and you're left holding the bag for medical bills, lost income etc. Get the uninsured/underinsured coverage, even if you have to get more liability coverage than you really need! Also get an umbrella policy if you can afford it, its' a couple hundred bucks a year, the cost of a nice dinner. I assume someone who drives a 992 has some assets to protect, and if injured themselves by an uninsured/underinsured negligent driver will want sufficient coverage to get compensated for their injuries/lost income etc. If these assumptions are inaccurate, go get the minimal policy I''m making generalizations here, not talking about specific circumstances!

If you want to save on premiums, get higher deductibles. If **** hits the fan, you can afford a higher deductible on the off chance something happens, but you'll be safer with the higher coverages. Your risk is lets say $1,000 deductible, if you can afford a 992 you probably can afford a higher deductible and save money that way with higher limits.

A $1,000,000 liability/UIM with comprehensive coverage, in California is around $2,000/per year, you may be driving less miles these days, so maybe even cheaper. Don't get GEICO, progressive, mercury, e-surance, 21st Century, Wawanesa, or some other cheap insurance you will regret it if there's a claim, again, just trust me. I've been an injury trial lawyer for 17 years dealing with insurance companies in every respect. I would recommend Farmers, AIG, State Farm, AAA, Liberty Mutual, USAA, AMICA, and some others. All State is OK, but I don't like fighting them and think they are cheap - I'd stay away from them, but they're ok in comparison to some others. These are my personal opinions based on experience, sorry to be long winded hope it helps!
I have American Family......would place them in the approved catagory?

Quick Reply: What do you pay for car insurance