Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fidelity extended warranty pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 08:15 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

@SteingoldVolvoCars, can you expand on the CA residents not being able to purchase from out of state? I bought a Fidelity warranty on my Macan Turbo in 2018 while living in CA from an out of state dealer and had no issues when using it for a few repairs. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:20 PM
SteingoldVolvoCars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
@SteingoldVolvoCars, can you expand on the CA residents not being able to purchase from out of state? I bought a Fidelity warranty on my Macan Turbo in 2018 while living in CA from an out of state dealer and had no issues when using it for a few repairs. Thanks.
Of course - the customer has no issue at all, rather the “dealer” is not permitted to sell Vehicle Service Contracts to CA residents. Basically, CA law states that only CA dealers can sell VSCs to CA residents. Ridiculous, yes, but true. Has nothing to do with “online purchases” - just purchases in general. The workaround is if a resident has two homes/addresses, one outside of CA of course, that they are permitted to use.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:24 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Appreciate the quick response! Does that mean the person should not have sold me the plan in 2018, or is the law relatively new? Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:30 PM
SteingoldVolvoCars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Appreciate the quick response! Does that mean the person should not have sold me the plan in 2018, or is the law relatively new? Thanks again.
That’s precisely what it means / the rule
has been in place for as long as I can remember.

Homepage: https://steingoldvolvocars.factoryprotect.com/

Get 100% Free Online Quote: https://factoryprotect.ratessys.com/ (Code: RENNLIST for $200.00 Member Discount)
The following users liked this post:
slwong23 (04-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 08:54 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 86 Posts

I just purchased a Fidelity platinum 10 year/100 k and a 7 year wheel/tire premium policy for my incoming C2S from Michael Bernardo at Steingold Volvo. He was instantaneous with responses to my questions and their pricing was significantly less than the dealer and the three other private vendors I talked with for the Fidelity policies. Excellent experience!

Karl
Old 08-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by SteingoldVolvoCars
Of course - the customer has no issue at all, rather the “dealer” is not permitted to sell Vehicle Service Contracts to CA residents. Basically, CA law states that only CA dealers can sell VSCs to CA residents. Ridiculous, yes, but true. Has nothing to do with “online purchases” - just purchases in general. The workaround is if a resident has two homes/addresses, one outside of CA of course, that they are permitted to use.
This has to be a Porsche edict, assuming such a thing even exists, as it might be considered Restraint of Trade if someone at Porsche was foolish enough to put something like this in writing. In any case, there is no such law in California. I've purchased an OEM Extended Warranty from a Dealer in Virginia. I live and my vehicle is registered in California. No problem what-so-ever, either in purchasing the Extended Warranty or when it has come to using it. This Extended Warranty was from Honda. I also verified with Honda Corporate that it was a Honda Extended Warranty and not an aftermarket version.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:39 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
This has to be a Porsche edict, assuming such a thing even exists, as it might be considered Restraint of Trade if someone at Porsche was foolish enough to put something like this in writing. In any case, there is no such law in California. I've purchased an OEM Extended Warranty from a Dealer in Virginia. I live and my vehicle is registered in California. No problem what-so-ever, either in purchasing the Extended Warranty or when it has come to using it. This Extended Warranty was from Honda. I also verified with Honda Corporate that it was a Honda Extended Warranty and not an aftermarket version.
It is not a Porsche edict, it’s a California Insurance Commisioner edict. If I remember correctly, whoever sells the policy needs to have a physical presence in the state. That’s why “ factory” policies can be sold by other dealers, but third party policies need to have a physical storefront in the state. I could be wrong but that’s what I was told
Old 08-23-2021, 12:11 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kpblade
It is not a Porsche edict, it’s a California Insurance Commisioner edict. If I remember correctly, whoever sells the policy needs to have a physical presence in the state. That’s why “ factory” policies can be sold by other dealers, but third party policies need to have a physical storefront in the state. I could be wrong but that’s what I was told
Unfortunately, you were told wrong. I'd imagine that the dealer that told you this is either uninformed or might just have an ulterior motive. The only state that has restrictions on the sale of extended vehicle warranties is Florida.
My experience with Honda is living proof that what you were told is not correct.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:31 AM
kpblade
Racer

Unfortunately, you were told wrong. I'd imagine that the dealer that told you this is either uninformed or might just have an ulterior motive. The only state that has restrictions on the sale of extended vehicle warranties is Florida.
My experience with Honda is living proof that what you were told is not correct.
This was a part of an explanation I found as why 2 vendors were told to cease and desist selling 3rd party warranties in California.

​​​​​​VSCs may be sold legally to Californians only when specific criteria are met, which Delta and Seruya failed to do.
  • Every VSC must be filed with CDI before it can be sold.
  • Companies responsible for paying the claims on VSCs must be licensed by CDI, unless the company is a vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer.
  • These companies must carry CDI-preapproved backup insurance insuring every VSC they sell, unless they receive an exemption from CDI by proving their company has a net worth of at least $100 million.
  • VSCs can only be sold through dealerships licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Direct sales to consumers are illegal.
I think the second highlighted bullet point is why you got your Honda backe extended warranty. I could be wrong and if I am, I'm sorry. Just trying to relay some infoo I was told.

Last edited by kpblade; 08-23-2021 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:43 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

This was a part of an explanation I found as why 2 vendors were told to cease and desist selling 3rd party warranties in California.

​​​​​​VSCs may be sold legally to Californians only when specific criteria are met, which Delta and Seruya failed to do.
  • Every VSC must be filed with CDI before it can be sold.
  • Companies responsible for paying the claims on VSCs must be licensed by CDI, unless the company is a vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer.
  • These companies must carry CDI-preapproved backup insurance insuring every VSC they sell, unless they receive an exemption from CDI by proving their company has a net worth of at least $100 million.
  • VSCs can only be sold through dealerships licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Direct sales to consumers are illegal.
This is just one reason I will not purchase any extended vehicle warranty other than those backed by the OEM. The Porsche Extended Warranty (like all OEM Extended Warranties that I am aware of) easily meets the qualifications you have listed.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:53 AM
kpblade
Racer

Thumbs up

This is just one reason I will not purchase any extended vehicle warranty other than those backed by the OEM. The Porsche Extended Warranty (like all OEM Extended Warranties that I am aware of) easily meets the qualifications you have listed.
I'm in the same boat. If you do have a lead on any dealerships with good discounts on the Porsche OEM warranties let me know.
Bluehighways (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 12:55 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I'm in the same boat. If you do have a lead on any dealerships with good discounts on the Porsche OEM warranties let me know.
You and me, both.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:09 AM
rappy992
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info on the warranty, I'm probably in the market for one. For what it's worth to others, I have a VSC from Ally (major guard) on my BMW 530xi, and it was just honored to make a repair after the coolant suddenly was lost due to a broken hose fitting. Many other VSCs would have denied that claim.

Last edited by rappy992; 08-23-2021 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:13 AM
rappy992
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know how much the Porsche OEM 10 year platinum warranty goes for?
Old 12-12-2022, 08:09 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Since this was discussed more than a year ago, I thought it might be helpful to revisit this topic and get a consensus of what people are currently paying.

These can be bought at your dealership (negotiable), or at places like Steingold Volvo (no haggle one low price).

I think getting one of these is a no brainer as it can extend your warranty to a total of 10 years on an exclusionary platinum plan.

I'm waiting on a build and don't have a VIN yet to get a quote. Are people still able to get 10 year/100k mile platinum $100 deductible for $4k on a new GTS?
Highline-Autos.com (12-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Fidelity extended warranty pricing