Sponsored by:

2021 Carrera cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 11:41 PM
CBR900RR
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Carrera cabriolet

Planning to purchase a 2021 911 Carrera Cabriolet (992), white with black top and black interior, option I add on is the (Bose Surround Sound System $1600), the free "storage package" and free "deletion of 911 Carrera" logo on rear, only one dealership in Hawaii and they won't budge on price, MSRP plus retail price on add on, $112,000 + $1,600 + $1,350, total price is $114,950 plus tax and fees, and 4 to 5 months waiting.
I'm planning to go down tomorrow and put on a deposit and order the car, any tips tricks, add on options that I should be aware of, please comment.

Also for the "deletion of 911 Carrera" logo, should I remove it myself and keep it, does the factory drill holes to install the emblem?
Old 05-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR900RR
Planning to purchase a 2021 911 Carrera Cabriolet (992), white with black top and black interior, option I add on is the (Bose Surround Sound System $1600), the free "storage package" and free "deletion of 911 Carrera" logo on rear, only one dealership in Hawaii and they won't budge on price, MSRP plus retail price on add on, $112,000 + $1,600 + $1,350, total price is $114,950 plus tax and fees, and 4 to 5 months waiting.
I'm planning to go down tomorrow and put on a deposit and order the car, any tips tricks, add on options that I should be aware of, please comment.

Also for the "deletion of 911 Carrera" logo, should I remove it myself and keep it, does the factory drill holes to install the emblem?
On a convertible, I would add PSE if you can swing it. The exhaust note would be nice to hear with the top down. When you do a badge delete, there are no holes. The badge is just not glued on at the factory.

PS - if you opt for the manual transmission, you get sport chrono for free...
Old 05-28-2020, 08:35 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 767 Posts

One other thought, that may be a config you can find on the lot - you might want to do a search, and with some of the deals going (% off, Lease and financing) you might be able to snag one now. It doesn't look like any of the options you are looking for are 2021 specific, so you might want to have a look on cars.com or other to see if you can pick one up.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:14 AM
CBR900RR
8th Gear

Thanks for all the reply, was busy/stuck on my condo rental for the last couple weeks, everything is settle down an I am back to shopping.

I just did re-build the rig again and this is the PORSCHE CODE, with more option.

Just two more question, please bare with me, does it make any sense to have a BOSE sound system with a "cabriolet" and "PSE" or is a waste of money?

I am committed to white in color, does it matter it is the stock white or metallic white, what is the difference.

In this
video, what type of black is the rims?

FYI, I own a 1995 CBR900RR with 20,000mi (weekend ride), and a 2004 tacoma, I am from the 4X4 world and go offroad once in a while.

Last edited by CBR900RR; 07-20-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:21 AM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Just two more question, please bare with me, does it make any sense to have a BOSE sound system with a "cabriolet" and "PSE" or is a waste of money?
If you enjoy any amount of listening to music, I’d say yes. Admittedly I haven’t heard the base system, but my Bose system is barely enough - if I spec’d it I would have gotten the Burmeister.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:13 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,490 Posts

White has yellow undertones. Looks sporty with being a Motorsport color.

Carrera White has blue undertones, and looks more elegant. Flakes in the paint also give it subtle changes in different lighting conditions.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:42 AM
CBR900RR
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
If you enjoy any amount of listening to music, I’d say yes. Admittedly I haven’t heard the base system, but my Bose system is barely enough - if I spec’d it I would have gotten the Burmeister.
My point is with a convertible and sport exhaust, the car is going to be loud/noisy, would the BOSE have enough wattage (570 watts) to overcome that? Or the base unit (150 watts) is good enough.

Originally Posted by smiles11
White has yellow undertones. Looks sporty with being a Motorsport color.

Carrera White has blue undertones, and looks more elegant. Flakes in the paint also give it subtle changes in different lighting conditions.
So it is just the tint/shade on the white color, stock white has yellow undertones and metallic has blue undertones, other than that, I am not missing out anything on the stock white?
Old 07-17-2020, 03:14 AM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

My point is with a convertible and sport exhaust, the car is going to be loud/noisy, would the BOSE have enough wattage (570 watts) to overcome that? Or the base unit (150 watts) is good enough.
Like I said, Bose barely cuts it.

I don’t think PSE should be a factor - it’s not obnoxiously loud unless you keep the revs at 4K all the time. The audio gets plenty loud to cover it even with the top down. I can’t speak for the base system, but I imagine it would be fine against the exhaust as well.

City speeds with the top down is where I’d imagine Bose is worth it. I doubt the base system can get loud enough and sound good to overcome road and wind noise, but Bose can, just have to turn it up. At highway speeds, I don’t really see why it would factor in at all. If you really care about the audio, I don’t see how any system would be enjoyable with that much noise. Bose will obviously still perform better, but if all you care about is audio with the top down at those speeds, I find it hard to justify the cost - just make do with what little you have.

My point was, if you’re asking about audio in the first place, it seems like you at least care a little - I think it’s worth it enough for improvements gained with the top up and the top down at lower speeds.

Last edited by ryanlsmith; 07-17-2020 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:17 AM
vaderone
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi CBR - Funny I just ordered a 992 base cabriolet from Honolulu Porsche. This is my second 911. It will be a 2021 and be here December or January. I wanted a GT Cruiser versus racer. I had a 4S before and the ride was too stiff for me with 20/21 and I went with 19/20's this time. Honolulu roads suck and had to change tires due to the low profile of the 21's. This time I went for more comfort items versus performance as I am closing on sixty. I did the get the BOSE this time that came with premium package. This time I opted for the 4 way seats instead of the 14 way since I'm the only one driving it. I had the PSE on the 4S although cool sounding did not activate it a lot and with the new turbo engines don't know how much difference it will make. The old aspirated engines were special and not sure if the PSE would be as engaging with a turbo engine. I also sport chonograph in my 4s. Rarely used it as it revs to redline and there is really not enough space to rev the engine.

Anyway my 2 cents. Even a base without options is a Porsche and a special car.

Enjoy your car and do what you want.
Mahalo
Wendell

Old 07-17-2020, 03:49 AM
CBR900RR
8th Gear

Thanks everybody for the input, now I know for sure I want the big black rims and BOSE, might skip the PSE and sport chrono package.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:53 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

I have the C2S cab with PSE and Burmester. You do not need PSE.

Even in Europe, with particulate filters, the standard exhaust is plenty loud enough with the top down. The car sound also gets richer with miles.

I can hear PSE cars climbing our mountain road when they are at the bottom of the valley, and I’m in my house at the top of the hill with the windows closed. I don’t mind the noise because I have the same car but other neighbours find it tiresome. It’s a ‘look at me’ option, not essential, arguably a waste of money.

I would however get a manual transmission. It wasn’t available when I bought my car. The PDK is very quick in a ‘***** out’ racing scenario, but, in my experience, it gets fussy and laggy when the car is used as a daily driver in traffic. It hunts for the highest possible gear too early, even in Sport. I find these days that I am having to ‘intervene’ more often to select the optimum gear. I’m sure it’s a ‘gearbox program’ issue not a fault but it still takes the shine off. A manual transmission, on the other hand, is always more engaging and will hold value better. For me, it’s a smarter and higher enjoyment value option than the PSE.

On music systems, with the top down you do need a powerful setup to move enough air to hear music. Mostly, I do not listen to music but when I do, I’m very glad of the Burmester system’s ability to compete with the road, engine and air noise. The base system can’t create enough sound pressure to sound fun.

Only other point to consider is that black leather gets very hot if you leave the lid down in the sun. Sporttex or seat ventilation may be easier options to live with.

The following users liked this post:
Vintage72 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 04:08 AM
CBR900RR
8th Gear

Originally Posted by JHesketh
I have the C2S cab with PSE and Burmester. You do not need PSE.

Even in Europe, with particulate filters, the standard exhaust is plenty loud enough with the top down. The car sound also gets richer with miles.

I can hear PSE cars climbing our mountain road when they are at the bottom of the valley, and I’m in my house at the top of the hill with the windows closed. I don’t mind the noise because I have the same car but other neighbours find it tiresome. It’s a ‘look at me’ option, not essential, arguably a waste of money.

I would however get a manual transmission. It wasn’t available when I bought my car. The PDK is very quick in a ‘***** out’ racing scenario, but, in my experience, it gets fussy and laggy when the car is used as a daily driver in traffic. It hunts for the highest possible gear too early, even in Sport. I find these days that I am having to ‘intervene’ more often to select the optimum gear. I’m sure it’s a ‘gearbox program’ issue not a fault but it still takes the shine off. A manual transmission, on the other hand, is always more engaging and will hold value better. For me, it’s a smarter and higher enjoyment value option than the PSE.

On music systems, with the top down you do need a powerful setup to move enough air to hear music. Mostly, I do not listen to music but when I do, I’m very glad of the Burmester system’s ability to compete with the road, engine and air noise. The base system can’t create enough sound pressure to sound fun.

Only other point to consider is that black leather gets very hot if you leave the lid down in the sun. Sporttex or seat ventilation may be easier options to live with.
Thanks, Burmester is a little out of my budget range, I mostly listen to youtube talk show and stream apple/youtube music, this 992 will be my daily driver, to and from work, pick up kids and after school activities, 40 miles round trip a day, wife's SUV will be for everything else.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:54 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks, Burmester is a little out of my budget range, I mostly listen to youtube talk show and stream apple/youtube music, this 992 will be my daily driver, to and from work, pick up kids and after school activities, 40 miles round trip a day, wife's SUV will be for everything else.
Sorry, yes, wasn’t advocating for Burmester, just making the point that the base stereo is underpowered for an open top. Have driven a Cabrio with the base system and it wasn’t worth having it on with the top down.

What I will also add is that both systems respond notably better to uncompressed music (eg Tidal) via a cable. I was quite taken aback by what a difference this made. I discovered it by accident when playing a track via Bluetooth, then plugging the phone in to charge it, then Tidal played the same track immediately after as a master without compression. All three experiences were significantly different in quality.
The following users liked this post:
ryanlsmith (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:47 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

I love your no frills order and the addition of Bose. Delete away but as others have mentioned, consider adding seat ventilation as for the expenditure of a few $ you will reap big rewards.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:13 PM
CBR900RR
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Vintage72
I love your no frills order and the addition of Bose. Delete away but as others have mentioned, consider adding seat ventilation as for the expenditure of a few $ you will reap big rewards.
Base on what I research on the seat ventilation , the seat are suppose to be very stiff and uncomfortable.

Quick Reply: 2021 Carrera cabriolet