Sponsored by:

Rank Your Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 04:09 PM
42LottSC
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rank Your Options

The hardest part of purchasing my 992 was trying to figure out which options I wanted while sticking to some kind of budget. I relied heavily on this site but also found valuable insight from Nick Murray’s youtube channel and Lawrence Romanosky’s /Calgary Center Porsche option video. What makes the process great is truly being able to customize your car.

1. RS Spyder Wheels – having the base model needs the bigger wheels. Tough choice between these and the Exclusive Wheels. I love both and although expensive I think it’s a good value.

2. Sports exhaust in black. Sounds & looks awesome. Lends more to the driving experience than I thought possible.

3. GT Sport Steering Wheel. Best $330 I spent. Love the thickness and stitching.

4. Glass Sunroof. Yes it lets a lot of light into the cabin but I really liked the contrast of the black glass roof with the retro styling of the 992 body. Gives the overall car a more modern look with my other black colored options.

5. Porsche logo in black & deletion of model designation. Cleans the look from the rear valence up the roof line.

6. Sport plus seats. During my test drive I found both seats very comfortable I just liked the looks of the sport seats and thought the extra cost was pretty reasonable.

7. Slate grey full leather w/ chalk stitching. By far my toughest decision given the cost/benefit ratio. I just couldn’t justify spending this much on a car and not getting that extra pop from the interior; however, I still don’t think it should cost as much as it does given the difference. Thank Nick Murray for this one. The stitching is nice though.

8. Porsche crest on headrest – just a nice little touch for $290

9. Sport Chrono. A little underwhelmed given the stock sport mode accessed through the pcm or dash button. Value wise is OK from my POV. I mostly drive around in the sport mode and find the performance already incredible but I do love that dial on the wheel.

10. Comfort Access – I might be the only one who likes this feature and mine works pretty well.

11. Surround view camera – I liked in more in my old BMW. It’s OK but the stock camera I’ve found to be adequate.

12. Lane change assist – this should really be free vs $1,060. I find the vision in the rear views & out back to be really good.

Missed Options/The trade-offs

1. Interior trim in light silver – should have gotten this

2. Had the 2021 ambient lighting been available I probably would have gotten this

3. Power folding mirrors

The following 6 users liked this post by 42LottSC:
Farmlyf (09-18-2020), ketch2631 (06-06-2021), mdrobc1213 (09-19-2020), Metalblond (05-21-2020), Schwarz992C4S (09-18-2020), Todd C (05-20-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:21 PM
m34door
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 42LottSC
The hardest part of purchasing my 992 was trying to figure out which options I wanted while sticking to some kind of budget. I relied heavily on this site but also found valuable insight from Nick Murray’s youtube channel and Lawrence Romanosky’s /Calgary Center Porsche option video. What makes the process great is truly being able to customize your car.

1. RS Spyder Wheels – having the base model needs the bigger wheels. Tough choice between these and the Exclusive Wheels. I love both and although expensive I think it’s a good value.

2. Sports exhaust in black. Sounds & looks awesome. Lends more to the driving experience than I thought possible.

3. GT Sport Steering Wheel. Best $330 I spent. Love the thickness and stitching.

4. Glass Sunroof. Yes it lets a lot of light into the cabin but I really liked the contrast of the black glass roof with the retro styling of the 992 body. Gives the overall car a more modern look with my other black colored options.

5. Porsche logo in black & deletion of model designation. Cleans the look from the rear valence up the roof line.

6. Sport plus seats. During my test drive I found both seats very comfortable I just liked the looks of the sport seats and thought the extra cost was pretty reasonable.

7. Slate grey full leather w/ chalk stitching. By far my toughest decision given the cost/benefit ratio. I just couldn’t justify spending this much on a car and not getting that extra pop from the interior; however, I still don’t think it should cost as much as it does given the difference. Thank Nick Murray for this one. The stitching is nice though.

8. Porsche crest on headrest – just a nice little touch for $290

9. Sport Chrono. A little underwhelmed given the stock sport mode accessed through the pcm or dash button. Value wise is OK from my POV. I mostly drive around in the sport mode and find the performance already incredible but I do love that dial on the wheel.

10. Comfort Access – I might be the only one who likes this feature and mine works pretty well.

11. Surround view camera – I liked in more in my old BMW. It’s OK but the stock camera I’ve found to be adequate.

12. Lane change assist – this should really be free vs $1,060. I find the vision in the rear views & out back to be really good.

Missed Options/The trade-offs

1. Interior trim in light silver – should have gotten this

2. Had the 2021 ambient lighting been available I probably would have gotten this

3. Power folding mirrors
love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by m34door:
42LottSC (05-20-2020), Farmlyf (09-18-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 776 Posts

Mine:

1.) Manual Transmission
2.) 4S (AWD) w/ Rear Axle Steering - wicked combo
3.) Everything else nice to have
3a.) Really like the 18way sports plus seats, mine came with off the lot, and would have not ordered them, but now cannot live without!
The following users liked this post:
42LottSC (05-20-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

This is a good game 😁 Ruthlessly ranked.

Essential
————
1.) rwd not 4wd
2.) S
3.) Cabriolet (appreciate that is controversial)
4.) SPASM (definitely creates confidence to push into corners)
6.) Exclusive Design wheels with satin black rims (paint makes all the difference)
7.) Sport Chrono (to avoid PCM stabbing)

I would Really Miss
————————-
8.) Club leather, leather interior, deviated stitching, matching belts and embossed headrest (to me this the correct interior unless you go SportTex heritage racing trim)
9.) RAS (I like it but would be happy without)
10.) 14 way seats with heating and ventilation (big benefit in a cabriolet)
11.) large fuel tank

I’ll Treat Myself
———————
12.) surround camera
​​​​13.) heated steering wheel (good in cabriolet)
14.) speed limit recognition (only bundled with other useless ‘stuff’)
15.) 911 only, no model designation

Nice but wouldn’t stretch a budget to get
——————————————————
13.) lighting package (this is useful to me)
14.) Factory PPF
15.) auto-folding mirrors
16.) Burmester (minimum BOSE though)

Disappointments
———————-
matrix headlights (991.2 PDLS+ probably less civilised but seemed brighter to me)

PSE (I now know standard exhaust opens up with time and sounds good. PSE offers no performance upgrade. It’s a bit meh 🤷‍♂️)

Actively Would Not Spec Again
—————-————————-
comfort access / keyless entry (useless, gets in the way)

HomeLink (useless, needs buttons)

Happy I Avoided
———————-
power steering plus though SA swore that it was essential

The following 4 users liked this post by JHesketh:
997usa (09-18-2020), Diced93 (09-21-2020), Gables (05-21-2020), SamD (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 11:21 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

My preference is based on past experience using the 911 as DD

1) S model as minimum. Most 911 owners buy them because of perfomance. it will be sad when a year later you will want more power.
2) your personal preferred color. If you buy car from a lot, сolor is extremely important, no compromise
3) full leather interior/club leather interior. The 911 is one of the few cars that offers the possibility of finishing with high-quality materials combined with high-quality assembly. I prefer club leather, but it's offered in only two colors, which do not go well with my preferred body colors
4) RAS. After S engine it's another must have performance option. RAS makes car very comfortably use in parking lots too.
5) Sport Chrono. This option significantly improves the usability of 911 performance.
6) PSE. I like the look of the base exhaust system in 992, but PSE does power management feedback in the spirit of 911
7) Surround view cameras - I hate scratches on the wheels, especially on very expensive. Very profitable option for guys who use 911 as DD
8) 14 or 18-way seats. Which of them is preferable depends on the shape of the driver's body, but it is really very convenient to sit in them both on the race track and on long trips.

I have a lot other options in my 992, like RS Spyder wheels, matrix headlights, Alcantara lining, PDCC, LCA, comfort access, glass sunroof, seats ventilation and other. All of them are valuable and important for me. But all cost a lot of money and really needed for experienced 911-users
JRoach (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

1. S model
  2. Non grayscale color
  3. Bose
  4. PSE
  5. Sport Chrono
  6. RAS
  7. Full leather interior
  8. 18-way seats
  9. PCCB
  10. 6MT
Old 05-21-2020, 02:36 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by FSB
6) PSE... does power management feedback in the spirit of 911
Interesting, am I missing something. Please can you explain what you mean by this?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Interesting exercise because I was recently "forced" to choose between keeping my order but pushing it to a MY2021 or taking one of two available cars.

Must have:
1. S
2. Miami Blue
3. Sport Chrono
4. Full leather interior

I think that's it. If one of the available cars had full leather I think there's a very good chance I would have pulled the trigger.

The other aesthetic things that I want fall into two main categories--those things that could be done aftermarket, and those that can't. The following could be done aftermarket:

1. Clear taillights/brake lights
2. Black wheels
3. Black headlights
4. Black exhaust
5. Painted side skirts
6. Removal of model designation

And these can't really be done aftermarket (or if they can they're more costly/invasive):

1. Different colored seatbelts
2. PCCB
3. Rear Axle Steering
4. PSE
5. Sport Chrono/Tach dials in different colors
6. 18-way Sport Plus Seats
7. "Nanny aids" (LKA, ACC, Surround View, etc.)
8. Alcantara/Race-Tex headliner
9. Leather Sun Visors
10. Interior Trim in leather
11. Heated GT Steering Wheel
12. Exterior base of side mirrors in body color
13. Vertical slat inlays in body color
14. PASM

As I type this I laugh at myself because what I actually ordered (PMRNSH77) has WAY more stuff (i.e., around $50k in options) than my "must have" section. But when the options are available I figure why not get what I want :-)
Gables (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Two questions on options.

First - what are everyone’s thoughts on Sports Exhaust?

I believe Sport Chrono is a must but not so sure about PSE. I believe engine noise is being pumped into the cabin via a sound symposer so you will still be able to enjoy the engine sound even without PSE. What you are essentially paying for is a more throaty sound and more snaps, crackles and pops (although some reviewers claim this is neglible). Of course, PSE also provides the split tailpipe configuration, which some might prefer. Does the lack of PSE impact the secondary market? As much as Sport Chrono?

This becomes a much easier decision for me if the 2021 U.S. model comes with a particulate filter like the UK. If that were the case, then I would avoid it. But, for those of you with PSE in its current form, do you consider it a must get?

Second - what about the PDLS+ vs. LED Matrix lights?

The Matrix lights are nicer (IMHO). However, they are of limited utility given the restrictions in the US. Does the cool factor outweigh their limited potential? Would you spec it again?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:37 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gables
Two questions on options.

First - what are everyone’s thoughts on Sports Exhaust?

I believe Sport Chrono is a must but not so sure about PSE. I believe engine noise is being pumped into the cabin via a sound symposer so you will still be able to enjoy the engine sound even without PSE. What you are essentially paying for is a more throaty sound and more snaps, crackles and pops (although some reviewers claim this is neglible). Of course, PSE also provides the split tailpipe configuration, which some might prefer. Does the lack of PSE impact the secondary market? As much as Sport Chrono?

This becomes a much easier decision for me if the 2021 U.S. model comes with a gas particulate filter like the UK. If that were the case, then I would avoid it. But, for those of you with PSE in its current form, do you consider it a must get?

Second - what about the PDLS+ vs. LED Matrix lights?

The Matrix lights are nicer (IMHO). However, they are of limited utility given the restrictions in the US. Does the cool factor outweigh their limited potential? Would you spec it again?
I do not think they are pumping sound into the 992 (or 991 for that matter). I could be wrong, but the cars that do this, it is more obvious.

PSE is a good option if you like more sound and like the oval tail pipes. I do think it helps a little with resale, but sports chrono is more of a must in that category for sure. I would get PSE if it were me...

I have the LED Matrix Lights on mine - They look really cool, but right now in the US they do not have full functionality, hopefully soon. I would skip this as the PDLS are LED and great and not worth the extra 3K for the matrix, specifically since you really only have LED lights right now in the US, as the matrix function is not enabled - so it is just fancy looking LEDs. I bought mine off the lot and it had several larger options I would have not done if ordering - Matrix is certainly one. But they are cool, and if allowed to function would be awesome :-)
Gables (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:41 PM
42LottSC
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default pse

After having my car, the PSE turned out to be my 2nd favorite option. Not only do I love the big black oval pipes but that snap/crackle/pop throaty sound is awesome and competes with any other car-sounds on the road.
markchristenson (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 04:17 PM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
Interesting, am I missing something. Please can you explain what you mean by this?
I will try

For me 911 is a real driver's car, not a GT. And this is true for all generations of 911. That means driver have to feel the car. PSE in sport/sport+ mode (when exhaust valve is open) gives feeling of current RPM and sense of control. For me it's really important on track or when I'm speeding Sound of 992's boxer engine like music, so it's strange to hide it. In my opinion the lack of this option in the base is a marketing move of Porsche's marketers, just to earn more money. And I'm against trying to turn a 911 into a GT.
In Panamera PSE is not necessary option because of different philosophy of the car, it's a real GT for long trips or continuous traffic jams. That's I order for Panny just sport tailpipes.
JHesketh (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:12 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I do not think they are pumping sound into the 992 (or 991 for that matter). I could be wrong, but the cars that do this, it is more obvious.
Yes, they are.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Yes, they are.
I should have clarified, as my statement above was not correct as it reads. Yes porsche has a sound tube that pushes the actual engine sounds into the cabin. Mercedes and BMW have a recording that plays recorded engine sounds when under acceleration, etc. - aka pre-recorded engine sounds.

My McLaren 720s - which is not a terribly loud car, did it a little different instead of a tube feed - they have vents in the front of the fire wall (just behind the seats) - that allow sound to enter the cabin.

VIEW PHOTOS
markchristenson (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I should have clarified, as my statement above was not correct as it reads. Yes porsche has a sound tube that pushes the actual engine sounds into the cabin. Mercedes and BMW have a recording that plays recorded engine sounds when under acceleration, etc. - aka pre-recorded engine sounds.

My McLaren 720s - which is not a terribly loud car, did it a little different instead of a tube feed - they have vents in the front of the fire wall (just behind the seats) - that allow sound to enter the cabin.

VIEW PHOTOS
Yes,no fake electronic sound through the speakers in the 992.

Quick Reply: Rank Your Options