These are my favs:
Aerokit
PSE
Carrera S wheels (black)
Old 05-23-2020, 12:04 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You all are going to think I'm nuts but I'm kind of the "anti option" guy. My build is minimalist

1. Manual Transmission with sport chrono, S model
2. High gloss black standard wheels against my preferred color
3. Standard black interior, I actually prefer it over full leather (call me crazy)
4. No PSE, I prefer the standard exhaust quad look. Can't stand the ovals, and also cheaper
5. 4 way Sport seats. Had them in my 991 and they did the job just fine, lighter, less crap and motors, simple, and cheaper.
7. No PDDC, No RAS. I don't like the idea of my rear wheels moving, or complication in my suspension. More stuff to maintain and more stuff that can break, more complex, cheaper. Still drives amazing.
8. SPASM
9. Standard LED lights, work just fine. Way better than anything else I've had before
10. I splurged for the Bose, works great.
11. Standard steering wheel, feels better to me
Old 05-23-2020, 12:41 PM
markanth
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Default on the subject of options

I was thinking Sport-tex. Interestingly, they did offer some useful premium package options for my21. I realize that seat ventilation is not available with Sport-tex. However, What is Porsche's sales thinking, when they don't offer a sub-set of the Premium package to Sport-tex buyers. They are certainly not trying to dissuade buyers from Sport-tex..but in effect, they are. Just don't get it.

I'm weighing Sport-tex versus leather seats with seat ventilation- lots of direct heat and sun where I'm at in Ca. for an open top 992. Seems from my old SC Targa back in the day, the leather (albeit no such thing as seat ventilation at the time) could be a real scorcher at times-thus was a real problem where still at.

Secondly, I can't believe lane change assist is not standard, as a safety measure - simply to avoid accidents. Instead, they could have continued to make comfort access.an option. What are they thinking?

Regards, Mark
Old 05-23-2020, 01:56 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by markanth
I was thinking Sport-tex. Interestingly, they did offer some useful premium package options for my21. I realize that seat ventilation is not available with Sport-tex. However, What is Porsche's sales thinking, when they don't offer a sub-set of the Premium package to Sport-tex buyers. They are certainly not trying to dissuade buyers from Sport-tex..but in effect, they are. Just don't get it.

I'm weighing Sport-tex versus leather seats with seat ventilation- lots of direct heat and sun where I'm at in Ca. for an open top 992. Seems from my old SC Targa back in the day, the leather (albeit no such thing as seat ventilation at the time) could be a real scorcher at times-thus was a real problem where still at.

Secondly, I can't believe lane change assist is not standard, as a safety measure - simply to avoid accidents. Instead, they could have continued to make comfort access.an option. What are they thinking?

Regards, Mark
i agree. I ordered Sport-Tex on my Targa and had to order most of the Premium Package items individually. I left out ambient lighting. They need to have a separate Premium Package for Sport-Tex seats.
The following users liked this post:
Blue911Heaven (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 02:37 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by DMDSpag
You all are going to think I'm nuts but I'm kind of the "anti option" guy. My build is minimalist

3. Standard black interior, I actually prefer it over full leather (call me crazy)
4. No PSE, I prefer the standard exhaust quad look. Can't stand the ovals, and also cheaper
5. 4 way Sport seats. Had them in my 991 and they did the job just fine, lighter, less crap and motors, simple, and cheaper.
7. No PDDC, No RAS. I don't like the idea of my rear wheels moving, or complication in my suspension. More stuff to maintain and more stuff that can break, more complex, cheaper. Still drives amazing.
8. SPASM
9. Standard LED lights, work just fine. Way better than anything else I've had before
I don't think you are nuts at all.... sounds like you really like the true sportiness of the car (and with a manual too!! ;-)
Old 05-23-2020, 02:55 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

8. SPASM
Not nuts at all...it's a nice build.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:58 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

8. SPASM
Originally Posted by Metalblond
I don't think you are nuts at all.... sounds like you really like the true sportiness of the car (and with a manual too!! ;-)
Originally Posted by gcurnew
Not nuts at all...it's a nice build.

Agree... the only nuts build is the build that's wrong for you.. The fact that 90% of these cars are ordered by the buyer, relative to most other cars, including Porsche cars that are bought off the lot is proof that every specific option and item is a matter of personal preference and there is NO right or wrong answer. It's one of the reasons (and I do like Murry's videos) that I don't agree with his tone with regards to some options, i.e. Alcantara or Door Puddle Lights.. etc.. Each 911 is a unique expression of the person who ordered it.. and if resale value is your sole reason for how you option your car, that's probably the closest thing to a "wrong options list" that I can think of.
Metalblond (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 01:30 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

I decided to go somewhat minimalist but with a twist which I'll explain shortly. The first 5 options that I really wanted:
  • Manual transmission w/ sport package (PSE, Sport Chrono and Sport PASM) so that made my model choice a 2S
  • RS Spyder Wheels (they look fantastic and are a much cheaper option than after market wheels). I will get them ceramic coated however.
  • Leather interior w/chalk stitching
  • PDLS+ (liked the matrix lights but since I couldn't take full advantage of them in the U.S. I went "down" a notch).
  • Bose as I personally like it better than the base and it does well enough given the nature of the car (noisy cabin, especially with PSE). :-)

The next few items were nice to have but mostly to "celebrate / commemorate" one or more of my previous Porsche's:
  1. Porsche crest on headrest & colored crest on wheels from the 1st P-car;
  2. Colored seat belts / tach / speedometer from the 2nd
  3. LCA from the 3rd plus I like the safety feature
  4. No sunroof as I don't want the extra weight up top plus it was almost never opened due to severe allergies (wife) and found I didn't miss it on my Cayman

I didn't really want to splurge on PDDC, RAS, as I have liked how my P-car's have driven previously and I too didn't like the idea of added complexity / potential maintenance issues / or cost).
Old 05-24-2020, 03:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
I decided to go somewhat minimalist but with a twist which I'll explain shortly. The first 5 options that I really wanted:
  • Manual transmission w/ sport package (PSE, Sport Chrono and Sport PASM) so that made my model choice a 2S
  • RS Spyder Wheels (they look fantastic and are a much cheaper option than after market wheels). I will get them ceramic coated however.
  • Leather interior w/chalk stitching
  • PDLS+ (liked the matrix lights but since I couldn't take full advantage of them in the U.S. I went "down" a notch).
  • Bose as I personally like it better than the base and it does well enough given the nature of the car (noisy cabin, especially with PSE). :-)

The next few items were nice to have but mostly to "celebrate / commemorate" one or more of my previous Porsche's:
  1. Porsche crest on headrest & colored crest on wheels from the 1st P-car;
  2. Colored seat belts / tach / speedometer from the 2nd
  3. LCA from the 3rd plus I like the safety feature
  4. No sunroof as I don't want the extra weight up top plus it was almost never opened due to severe allergies (wife) and found I didn't miss it on my Cayman

I didn't really want to splurge on PDDC, RAS, as I have liked how my P-car's have driven previously and I too didn't like the idea of added complexity / potential maintenance issues / or cost).

I'm starting to wonder if RAS is going to end up a must have for me. I never previously thought so -- the 992 drives really well without it. That said, I was driving my car today and the turn in and rotating feeling of the 992 is supernatural and really makes it feel unlike anything else I've driven. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

The arguable downside is that it really doesn't feel like a rear engine car.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:39 PM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm starting to wonder if RAS is going to end up a must have for me. I never previously thought so -- the 992 drives really well without it. That said, I was driving my car today and the turn in and rotating feeling of the 992 is supernatural and really makes it feel unlike anything else I've driven. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

The arguable downside is that it really doesn't feel like a rear engine car.
I wonder if the cars at Porsche's Birmingham school have RAS. One would think it would help in some of the slow, variable radii turns there.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:45 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

My list is more track oriented as I run time trials in NASA. I will also use it as a DD so it needs to do double duty.

required:
PDK, faster on the track than a manual, focus on the line not shifting IMO, I have an E30 M3 I track also if I want to shift
Sport package, could have gone without sport exhaust but like the look.
RAS, good for track use
Sport Plus 4 way seats, lighter than 18 way and bolsters are better for track use
stock wheels painted satin black, I like the contrast with my exterior paint
sport Tex interior, holds you in the seat better than leather, chalk stitching
lightweight noise insulated glass, goes with the weight saving scheme, -8 lbs
GT sport steering wheel, I have big hands and hate thin wheels, also better control on the track.

optional:
chalk exterior, love this color
carbon fiber roof, less weight on top, looks cool with Chalk paint, win-win for me
Bose sound system, I go back and forth on this but it’s cheaper than aftermarket upgrades
lCA, I have it in my Mercedes and it has saved me a few times with cars in my blind spot
Power folding mirrors, wish I had them on my Mercedes
Extended fuel tank for DD, my commute is 100 miles round trip when I go to the office. You don’t have to fill it up when at the track

So, there is my double duty build...

Old 05-24-2020, 04:42 PM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Ok, options I have that I would/will (fancy a GTS in a year or two) spec again:
  • 18- way seats
  • SPASM
  • PSE
  • RAS
  • Aluminium trim (but colour dependent)
  • PDK
  • Heated GT steering wheel
  • Folding mirrors
  • Auto wipers
  • Glass sunroof
  • Alcantara (now 'race-tex' or something?!) headlining
  • Club leather (truffle with crayon stitching)

Options I have that I wouldn't/won't spec next time:
  • Burmester (rattles needed fixing, plus it doesn't sound anywhere near as 'good' as I heard in a Panamera and Cayman)
  • Matrix - look good but have had so many people flash me - I know they are bright though
  • Leather interior trim

Options I skipped but wish I hadn't:
  • Sports side skirts
  • Exclusive, painted wheels
  • Ventilated seats
Think that's most of the main ones..
42LottSC (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:21 PM
Golfster
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

1. Sport Package: PSE provides just the right amount of aural entertainment, PASM sport slightly lowers the stance and SC makes mode selection easy.
  2. RAS: Takes great steering/maneuvers up a notch. Would spec again without question.
  3. Surround view cameras: The added visibility in tight quarters is appreciated.
  4. Matrix LED Headlights: Regardless of functional limitation in the US, I prefer the look.
  5. Full leather: A must for me.
  6. Glass sunroof: I like the dual benefit of extra light when closed and extra air when open.
  7. 18-way Sport+ seats: I’ve had these and past-gen 14-way. 18’s feel custom tailored for me.
  8. FAS: Benefit is dependent upon specific driveways one encounters. Didn’t have it on past cars and suffered the consequence. Would spec it again even if only for occasional use.
  9. PDCC: A want more than a need. Typically thought of for flat handling but but supposedly also enhances ride comfort. The ride is indeed comfortable in every mode, more than past cars, and maybe a little too comfy. Maybe a placebo, maybe not but I’d likely spec it again.
  10. Comfort access: I ranked it lower only because it’s standard on MY21 (as it should be IMO) whereas an option on my MY20. Works consistently for me and I like the convenience.
  11. Premium package: I like the ventilated seats on warm days. I’m not a big cruise control user but like the safety features of ACC.
  12. Colored belts, tach and Chrono along with headrest crests and heated GT wheel: Strictly cosmetic but I like the modest touches.
  13. Exterior color and wheels: I’m very happy with my selection of Racing Yellow and satin black wheels but also like all the colors and wheel packages for the 992. So many great configurations posted on the forum. The 992 is well suited to the variety of builds.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:00 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

8. SPASM
Nope, I get that for sure. Keep it simple
Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

i have a fullly optioned CS Cab. two semi-random thoughts:

the ventilated seats are a must BUT aren't that effective

i WISH for a heads-up display. it's shocking that my audi q7 has one and this does not

Quick Reply: Rank Your Options