Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Insulated Glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 12:47 AM
SurfacePro6
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My lock date is 10/16 and this is the only option I'm still thinking on.

Has anyone received the 2021 with this option yet? Everyone was talking about how they are on hold pending emissions certs on the other threads though.

It seems everyone on this thread is looking for that person with the option to pitch in.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:05 AM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 55 Posts

Sure i have, but without a direct one on one comparison it's difficult to exactly measure.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Black Stig
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfacePro6
My lock date is 10/16 and this is the only option I'm still thinking on.

Has anyone received the 2021 with this option yet? Everyone was talking about how they are on hold pending emissions certs on the other threads though.

It seems everyone on this thread is looking for that person with the option to pitch in.

I was on the fence as well as I couldn't find a good description of the product and I had concerns about possible radar detector problems.

A little research shows that noise insulated glass has been around a few years and has been introduced in several cars. Apparently, it uses a special acoustic vinyl layer sandwiched between the glass which also allows the glass to be lightweight since the glass doesn't have to be so thick.

This is different from a Solar Coated windshield which has a UV reflecting film - and has been known to affect radar detectors and toll transponders even in non-Porsche vehicles. I believe this may be what was on those cars whose users had problems with this. Theirs were specifically described as such (helps with heat) and Porsche had instructions on where to put transponders.

Noise insulated glass mainly decreases noise from outside the car and is especially good with things like wind noise. They say it's useful for noise in the 1,500 to 5,000 Hz range and they quote a decibel reduction of 2-3 dB which apparently sounds small but helps with conversations in the car.

I honestly don't know what these numbers would mean in a 992 but I had initial concerns about how it might affect the engine sound before I realized the we do have a symposer that pretty much pipes the sound into the cabin. My 997 doesn't have this.

The way I see it, this might improve the level of unwanted noise inside the cabin which will be good for long drives, will not likely diminish the engine growl we all love, not likely to affect radar detectors and toll transponders, give us 8 lbs of weight savings and likely will improve the way the Burmester will sound in the cabin.

I went ahead and added this to my configuration before my dealer's freeze date.

You may want to also take a look at the current windshields in your other cars. You might be surprised to find that they too are noise insulated. I found that my Range Rover and BMW were - and those are very quiet in the cabin, though I am sure the glass is only one part of the sound proofing.

Since we don't have reports from actual owners yet, I thought these will have to do to make decisions.

You can google "acoustic windshield" and see what you come up with.

Some links I found:
https://bettersoundproofing.com/how-...ic-windshield/

https://soundproofguide.com/what-is-...ic-windshield/

https://lowbudgetautoglass.com/faq/t...r-windshields/
(Last link has pictures of the markings on the glass so you can tell if your car has it. )

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Black Stig; 10-05-2020 at 09:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Black Stig:
Bluehighways (10-05-2020), Jkb545 (10-05-2020), Johnboston (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Black Stig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kermit_the_Frog
Sure i have, but without a direct one on one comparison it's difficult to exactly measure.
I didn’t see your post before I posted mine.
How’s the engine sound from the cabin?
How’s your sound system?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

The way I see it, this might improve the level of unwanted noise inside the cabin which will be good for long drives, will not likely diminish the engine growl we all love, not likely to affect radar detectors and toll transponders, give us 8 lbs of weight savings and likely will improve the way the Burmester will sound in the cabin.
This pretty much. Engine is there especially in Sport-Mode. Burmester is great and needs imo the insulated glass.
The following users liked this post:
Johnboston (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Stig
. . . a decibel reduction of 2-3 dB . . .
That's actually quite significant. The dB scale is logarithmic. For example, a 20 dB sound is 10 times louder than a 10 dB sound. If it were a linear scale (it's not), 20 db would only be twice as loud as a 10 dB sound.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 10-05-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:36 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

This pretty much. Engine is there especially in Sport-Mode. Burmester is great and needs imo the insulated glass.
Likely just the "sound symposer" piping engine noise into the cabin in sport and sport+:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1166...-symposer.html

You'll get that regardless of the glass.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Black Stig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
That's actually quite significant. The dB scale is logarithmic. For example, a 20 dB sound is 10 times louder than a 10 dB sound. If it were a linear scale (it's not), 20 db would only be twice as loud as a 10 dB sound.
Ah. Thanks for this. Looked it up some more.
I now also see that a 3 dB decrease amounts to a halving of sound levels. That’s definitely a significant decrease of external sound.
Bluehighways (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 03:47 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Now I'm curious as to what kind of sound reductions folks are getting on identical cars w/ and w/out the noise insulated glass. This thread has me curious. The only real loud part of the drive for me with the 992 is the tire noise, which is pretty damn loud. I don't mind it at all, but as others have stated the noise reducing glass won't do anything to combat tire noise. I feel like outside of this the rest of the "noise" is fairly light. Wouldn't mind a louder engine and exhaust, while we're on the topic of sound.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:54 PM
SurfacePro6
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does your door glass seem like it's dual layered like how others describe the thermal and noise glass on panamera, cayenne, etc?

Not sure if you have a caliper to measure the thickness of your door glass so we can have a comparison on here vs someone with the normal glass. It may or may not help in comparison because the edge thickness could be different. Just some ideas.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:45 PM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drizz
Now I'm curious as to what kind of sound reductions folks are getting on identical cars w/ and w/out the noise insulated glass. This thread has me curious. The only real loud part of the drive for me with the 992 is the tire noise, which is pretty damn loud. I don't mind it at all, but as others have stated the noise reducing glass won't do anything to combat tire noise. I feel like outside of this the rest of the "noise" is fairly light. Wouldn't mind a louder engine and exhaust, while we're on the topic of sound.
I don't notice the tyre noise as very loud at all. Maybe i am just used to loud cars but i think it's really not. Could very well be the glass..
Old 10-05-2020, 09:03 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfacePro6
Does your door glass seem like it's dual layered like how others describe the thermal and noise glass on panamera, cayenne, etc? Not sure if you have a caliper to measure the thickness of your door glass so we can have a comparison on here vs someone with the normal glass. .
Laminated glass is dual layered with a film in between. If the film is there to hold the glass in place when shattered, this is the standard safety glass. If it’s an acoustic film, then its noise reducing. If thin planes are used to reduce the overall thickness, then you also have weight reduction.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:52 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I don't notice the tyre noise as very loud at all. Maybe i am just used to loud cars but i think it's really not. Could very well be the glass..
what sort of road surfaces do you have in Switzerland? Here in SoCal we have a mixture, from concrete to smooth bitumen. The concrete is very loud, the smooth bitumen very quiet. Down in Australia we have coarse chip seal, that’s very loud too.

Really with those wide low profile tires right under your backside that’s to be expected. Every generation Porsche say its better, but as far as I can tell its not.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:18 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
what sort of road surfaces do you have in Switzerland? Here in SoCal we have a mixture, from concrete to smooth bitumen. The concrete is very loud, the smooth bitumen very quiet. Down in Australia we have coarse chip seal, that’s very loud too.

Really with those wide low profile tires right under your backside that’s to be expected. Every generation Porsche say its better, but as far as I can tell its not.
THIS. Most SoCal roads are concrete, which is super loud. Every now and then there will be a stretch of highway that's black asphalt (or bitumen, as you said) and I'll feel like I'm in a Rolls Royce with how quiet and smooth the ride becomes. I, too, am used to some louder cars and would rank the tire noise itself as being up there in the 992. Again, not a complaint at all...just pointing it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drizz:
aggie57 (10-06-2020), mrcarlo (02-27-2021)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:24 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizz
THIS. Most SoCal roads are concrete, which is super loud. Every now and then there will be a stretch of highway that's black asphalt (or bitumen, as you said) and I'll feel like I'm in a Rolls Royce with how quiet and smooth the ride becomes. I, too, am used to some louder cars and would rank the tire noise itself as being up there in the 992. Again, not a complaint at all...just pointing it out.
Not only are they mostly concrete, they've got rain grooves cut in them and they just increase the volume ever so much!

I don't know how those poorly endowed folks with the jacked-up trucks and the big mudders can handle the noise their tires make!
Attached Images  
aggie57 (10-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Noise Insulated Glass