Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Insulated Glass

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 05:15 PM
phaun16
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone receive their lightweight glass yet by chance? Have about 30 days to lock. From what I was told by SA, no to very little change in engine noise; mostly wind/other cars, and some 992 tire noise.

My build has that with NO sunroof, which I like that combo.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:38 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

No. 2021 models are the first to have it and they are stuck in EPA hell right now.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:06 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by phaun16
Anyone receive their lightweight glass yet by chance? Have about 30 days to lock. From what I was told by SA, no to very little change in engine noise; mostly wind/other cars, and some 992 tire noise.

My build has that with NO sunroof, which I like that combo.
That is how I ordered mine.

Due Date is is November 20th for me.

I've experienced "Noise Insulated Glass" in a friends Lexus 350 (fancy Camry) and it really makes a BIG difference in that car. Windows up and windows down is like two completely different worlds. I'm hoping for even half that sort of a result on my C2S.

FWIW . . . I don't intentionally cut holes in the roof of my cars either. Something about structural integrity . . . . LOL
Old 09-24-2020, 08:51 AM
phaun16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
No. 2021 models are the first to have it and they are stuck in EPA hell right now.
oh damn, still!?! Sorry y’all!
Old 09-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Black Stig
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys.
I just ordered a C4S and I’m wondering about this option too.

What do you guys think about how this might affect performance of a radar detector or cellphones/gps?

On another thread, there was one poster here who said the lightweight feature was the main design thrust and the noise reduction was added because making it lightweight made it noisier. (This was from his dealer.)
If so, then there’s no difference between outside noise reduction between this and regular glass.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:27 AM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My 992 is supposedly due at dealer on 10/2 and I have the noise insulated glass option. Will report back when I have some experience with it. As I think I said in a post above in this thread, I have experience with the noise insulated glass on my 2018 Panamera 4s, and, having driven cars with and without, it definitely reduces tire/road noise. There is less drone. We’ll see if it works the same on the 992.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Black Stig
Intermediate

I don’t know if the two products are different or if this is a marketing ploy, but the Panamera option is described as “Thermal and Noise Insulated Glass” while the 992 option is a “Lightweight and Noise Insulated Glass”.
If they are different, then they may not be comparable?

Looking forward to your report! Thanks - and congratulations on getting your 992 soon!

Last edited by Black Stig; 09-27-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:02 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Stig
I don’t know if the two products are different or if this is a marketing ploy, but the Panamera option is described as “Thermal and Noise Insulated Glass” while the 992 option is a “Lightweight and Noise Insulated Glass”.

Looking forward to your report! Thanks - and congratulations on getting your 992 soon!
Im pretty sure they are different options. On non-911 models it is described as laminated glass with thermal properties that may impact cell reception. For 992, it is called compound glass and has no warning about reception impact.

I would not expect it to be as effective for noise. Hard to tell until more customers receive cars, but my dealer said not to expect much. Many Turbos have the glass and reviews mentioned loud road and wind noise.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Black Stig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Im pretty sure they are different options. On non-911 models it is described as laminated glass with thermal properties that may impact cell reception. For 992, it is called compound glass and has no warning about reception impact.

I would not expect it to be as effective for noise. Hard to tell until more customers receive cars, but my dealer said not to expect much. Many Turbos have the glass and reviews mentioned loud road and wind noise.
Thanks for the clarification and nice to hear what the Turbos experience on their lightweight glass.
I’m starting to lean away from it especially if sound isolation from non-Porsche noises is poor and if radar/gps/cellphone reception is in danger.
An 8 pound weight savings doesn’t quite offset that for my purposes.

Still will be watching for people’s experiences once their cars come in. I’m not sure when my lock date is yet as I just put in my order last week.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:53 PM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi guys.
I just ordered a C4S and I’m wondering about this option too.

What do you guys think about how this might affect performance of a radar detector or cellphones/gps?

On another thread, there was one poster here who said the lightweight feature was the main design thrust and the noise reduction was added because making it lightweight made it noisier. (This was from his dealer.)
If so, then there’s no difference between outside noise reduction between this and regular glass.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
No GPS issues.
The following users liked this post:
Black Stig (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thx. I guess we’ll see. The configurator description says: “improves interior acoustics by minimizing external noises such as tire and wind noise.”

May be a different glass than the Panamera, but Porsche seems to be advertising as reducing tire/wind noise. But, again, until we get some actual reports, hard to know if this effective or the degree of effectiveness.
Black Stig (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 02:13 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

You’d need to do measured back to back comparisons between two identical cars, one with this option and one without, on the same tires and on the same surfaces to know fo sure.
gcurnew (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
That is how I ordered mine.

Due Date is is November 20th for me.

I've experienced "Noise Insulated Glass" in a friends Lexus 350 (fancy Camry) and it really makes a BIG difference in that car. Windows up and windows down is like two completely different worlds. I'm hoping for even half that sort of a result on my C2S.

FWIW . . . I don't intentionally cut holes in the roof of my cars either. Something about structural integrity . . . . LOL
SAME ORDER for me and the same reasoning.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:15 PM
phaun16
Intermediate

Wondered how the turbos were sounding given this is on many; thanks for that.

It appears there are 3 options (not for the 992, but recent options porsche has offered across the range)

1) lightweight glass (non sound deadening), like used on the 991.2 T
2) thermal and sound (maybe not wt saving?): panamera, etc
3) lightweight and sound (not thermally insulated): 992 option

So they likely don't between amongst models; will need to be 992 (hopefully back to back with a meter) or at least subjectively across the board some improvement . Agree about weight savings alone; make sense for me w/o sunroof too; but in reality, I could lose my covid 10 lbs and that covers the glass weight savings.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:22 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

In general, sound transmission is reduced with increasing glass thickness (although there are exception for some frequencies). The thermal glass as used in the Panny, Cayenne, Macon has two layers with a thin film in between. Since the overall thickness is greater than the standard glass, you also get greater sound attenuation. The lightweight laminated glass available for the 992 has an acoustic film and I suspect the overall thickness of the two layers is less than the standard glass resulting in weight loss.

Last edited by dasams; 10-05-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Black Stig (10-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Noise Insulated Glass