Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unstable Wet Highway Lane Change Characteristics...anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 05:52 AM
81romeo
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Very happy about my previous 992 4S in heavy rain - felt way more anchored to the ground than my SLC43 AMG. Had Michelin winter tires on. I've not yet driven my new Targa 4GTS in torrential rain tho.

I guess the 4 wheel traction plays a big role here too.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:42 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

This is interesting. I drove from central PA to Buffalo and back last week (300 miles each way) and there were torrential thunderstorms for nearly 2 hours on the way home. The rain was so hard that with the windshield wipers on high, I could barely see at times. I was amazed at how well the car stuck to the road in the rain. My GTS is RWD with RAS and P-zeros. I put it in wet mode and it just stuck. I remember saying to my wife how amazed I was at how planted and secure the car felt in those conditions.

Wet roads are one thing, but no car will do well through standing water. Could it be that the roads had standing water on them when you experienced what you described?
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
81romeo (09-02-2022), detansinn (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 12:48 PM
donnie8300
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ko2302
My problems seems to be reduced new tires switching from Goodyear F1s to Pirelli PZ4. What is the mileage on your tires and what tires do you have on?
I’m on the Pirelli P Zero. I probably have around 6/7k miles on them so far. Interested on winter tires it was better in the rain / slush, but still a bit of the odd feeling (no issue in snow ironically though)
Old 09-02-2022, 12:50 PM
donnie8300
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
This is interesting. I drove from central PA to Buffalo and back last week (300 miles each way) and there were torrential thunderstorms for nearly 2 hours on the way home. The rain was so hard that with the windshield wipers on high, I could barely see at times. I was amazed at how well the car stuck to the road in the rain. My GTS is RWD with RAS and P-zeros. I put it in wet mode and it just stuck. I remember saying to my wife how amazed I was at how planted and secure the car felt in those conditions.

Wet roads are one thing, but no car will do well through standing water. Could it be that the roads had standing water on them when you experienced what you described?
Yep I think the road out east in Long Island were pretty uneven then and constant thin patches of standing water. Pretty impossible to avoid (especially Far East out to Montauk is a single Lane each way…)
Old 09-03-2022, 04:05 AM
ko2302
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same mileage on Goodyears when I had this issue. I think the problem would be solved for you with new tires. If you are not in too much hurry, wait until winter and buy winter tires. Everyone is highly recommending Michelin Alpin 5.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:06 AM
ko2302
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by donnie8300
I’m on the Pirelli P Zero. I probably have around 6/7k miles on them so far. Interested on winter tires it was better in the rain / slush, but still a bit of the odd feeling (no issue in snow ironically though)
I had the same mileage on Goodyears when I had this issue. I think the problem would be solved for you with new tires. If you are not in too much hurry, wait until winter and buy winter tires. Everyone is highly recommending Michelin Alpin 5.

Quick Reply: Unstable Wet Highway Lane Change Characteristics...anyone else?