Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unstable Wet Highway Lane Change Characteristics...anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts
Default Unstable Wet Highway Lane Change Characteristics...anyone else?

So first off, I've never loved a water-cooled non GT variant as much as I LOVE the base/S 992's. Ive got a C4s with now 2500 miles on it and dare I say, it's nearly a perfect daily driver sports car, checking off nearly every box with the highest marks I can give a car...but I've had one issue with mine that I'm really curious if anyone else has experienced with their 992s...and curious about those with both 2 and 4wd.

The issue? My particular car seems to get pretty unstable in the wet when cruising on highways, and especially when changing lanes on the highway, and particularly susceptible to hydroplaning... Im not talking about drastic steering inputes here either...I'm talking about a normal slow lane change. The first time I had the car in the wet and did this a little more aggressively, I ended up with needed to actually correct with a real amount of countersteer, which quite honestly beyond shocked me...I've had and driven (hard) almost every variant of 911 1987 and on, and not one has ever felt like that, with the closest feeling being my former 996 GT3 with nearly chorded semi slicks during a downpour coming home from a track event running 3 ish degrees of negative camber. After that, I tried a few lower speed lane changes (in sport, normal and wet mode), and they all felt surprisingly unnerving. My first thought was maybe I really am driving too quickly for the conditions (even though I've literally never had to think about this in any of my previous cars which I've driven the exact same way)...and then when I slow down to where the car feels comfortable (maybe 55/60, every other car seems to fly by and with complete ease). The first times I tried this all, I had the car on winter tires, then swapped them to the summer, had the alignment checked and since have spent plenty of time adjusting tire pressures etc etc...nothing seems to make the difference. I'm scheduled to take the car into service for this, and the guys at my department know my history with cars/racing etc etc and were pretty shocked when I mentioned that to them. FWIW, my car IS a RWS car, and 4wd...Im curious to take a 2s out, or a car without RWS and see if that makes a difference, but figured out I'd see if anyone else has experienced anything remotely like this. Oh, in the dry, the car is phenomenal, and I've done everything I can to test out the handling characteristics I can think of. I can't help but think its some TC or RWS algorithm causing a hickup here, but really don't know.

Any thoughts????
Old 05-14-2020, 01:10 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a C2S, on the few rainy days we've had here in LA, I can confirm my car does feel 'unstable' to the point where I feel like driving it is a bit dangerous in the rain. In my M4 I never had this problem. On one particular day, I was driving up to LA on probably the worst day for rain in SoCal and the amount of times I was hydroplaning all over the place (it's really loud and scary in a 911 compared to my M4) so I just went 40mph all the way to LA. Also, just pointing out that I don't have RWS. I've also wondered that it could be an issue with traction control, I had an alignment checked and my tire pressure to comfort settings yet my car still seems to 'float' around under semi-hard acceleration.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:18 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

What kind of tiress?
Old 05-14-2020, 02:04 AM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Tires are everything.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-22-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

I have the Goodyears, my M4 had michelin PS4S
Old 05-14-2020, 05:02 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
So first off, I've never loved a water-cooled non GT variant as much as I LOVE the base/S 992's. Ive got a C4s with now 2500 miles on it and dare I say, it's nearly a perfect daily driver sports car, checking off nearly every box with the highest marks I can give a car...but I've had one issue with mine that I'm really curious if anyone else has experienced with their 992s...and curious about those with both 2 and 4wd.

The issue? My particular car seems to get pretty unstable in the wet when cruising on highways, and especially when changing lanes on the highway, and particularly susceptible to hydroplaning... Im not talking about drastic steering inputes here either...I'm talking about a normal slow lane change. The first time I had the car in the wet and did this a little more aggressively, I ended up with needed to actually correct with a real amount of countersteer, which quite honestly beyond shocked me...I've had and driven (hard) almost every variant of 911 1987 and on, and not one has ever felt like that, with the closest feeling being my former 996 GT3 with nearly chorded semi slicks during a downpour coming home from a track event running 3 ish degrees of negative camber. After that, I tried a few lower speed lane changes (in sport, normal and wet mode), and they all felt surprisingly unnerving. My first thought was maybe I really am driving too quickly for the conditions (even though I've literally never had to think about this in any of my previous cars which I've driven the exact same way)...and then when I slow down to where the car feels comfortable (maybe 55/60, every other car seems to fly by and with complete ease). The first times I tried this all, I had the car on winter tires, then swapped them to the summer, had the alignment checked and since have spent plenty of time adjusting tire pressures etc etc...nothing seems to make the difference. I'm scheduled to take the car into service for this, and the guys at my department know my history with cars/racing etc etc and were pretty shocked when I mentioned that to them. FWIW, my car IS a RWS car, and 4wd...Im curious to take a 2s out, or a car without RWS and see if that makes a difference, but figured out I'd see if anyone else has experienced anything remotely like this. Oh, in the dry, the car is phenomenal, and I've done everything I can to test out the handling characteristics I can think of. I can't help but think its some TC or RWS algorithm causing a hickup here, but really don't know.

Any thoughts????
Big fat tires and lots of power and it seems that Porsche uses less traction control than other companies.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:49 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

When I first got my 991.2 4S with RAS my car did the same thing (in high wind as well). Changing tires made some of the difference but it still wasn't my ideal bad weather driver. I was hoping the 992 didn't do the same thing.......

Last edited by Metalblond; 05-14-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:52 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by crimewave
I have the Goodyears, my M4 had michelin PS4S
Urggg .... Goodyear tires suck ......All of them ...Wouldn't use them unless they were given to me and then I would just use them for burnouts ...

I have Pilot 4s on my C4s and I have gone up to 150k in the rain without issue ..... Wind can be an issue though depending on direction ..
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (10-17-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 08:55 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Light weight and wide tires probably equate to hydroplaning. On my 991.2, I found that changing tires to Michelin’s helped. Having a MT made me feel I was more in control on wet roads, but when it’s raining, I am in the right lane.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
Metalblond (05-14-2020), Vintage72 (10-18-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 10:41 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
What kind of tiress?

The winter tires were Pirelli scorpions, and the summers are Pirelli Pzeros...BOTH of which Ive had on numerous other 911s, and lighter weight ones with wider tires with 2wd (I've driven a bunch of GT3s in the rain, even with sport cups/sport cup 2s) and non of them have had this flighty unstable feeling in quite the same way...My last C4s (991.2 with RWS, 500 AWHP tuned and lowered ) never had any problem remotely close to this, it was a pretty epic high speed rain car, which is why this catches me as such a surprise! After reading some of the above responses, its "good" to know others have felt this but somewhat concerns me as well, as the whole point of these cars is that they are utterly usable, all year, all day long...I really think Porsche has over programmed something and underestimated some real world driving variables. If I was one of their engineers, Id be trying some different suspension and TC tuning solutions...but I know Im not going to spend thousands trying to trouble shoot that. Will be interesting to see what Porsche says...
Old 05-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
The winter tires were Pirelli scorpions, and the summers are Pirelli Pzeros...BOTH of which Ive had on numerous other 911s, and lighter weight ones with wider tires with 2wd (I've driven a bunch of GT3s in the rain, even with sport cups/sport cup 2s) and non of them have had this flighty unstable feeling in quite the same way...My last C4s (991.2 with RWS, 500 AWHP tuned and lowered ) never had any problem remotely close to this, it was a pretty epic high speed rain car, which is why this catches me as such a surprise! After reading some of the above responses, its "good" to know others have felt this but somewhat concerns me as well, as the whole point of these cars is that they are utterly usable, all year, all day long...I really think Porsche has over programmed something and underestimated some real world driving variables. If I was one of their engineers, Id be trying some different suspension and TC tuning solutions...but I know Im not going to spend thousands trying to trouble shoot that. Will be interesting to see what Porsche says...
Haven't experience this in my 992 C4S yet, but have had limited driving time in the rain - having it only 1 month.

I have had this problem though on one other car - it was an AWD BMW. It was scary, and felt like the car was going to lose control in the rain. Also when this car would go from a rainy roadway, then under an overpass (where it was more dry), it would feel specifically amplified then - that the car was going to go sideways when going from wet to dry and back to wet. In that secenario you would actually feel the car kind of torque a bit. But you would feel the same instability - just less pronounced - on a regular wet roadway, all the time.

After much analysis - and trips to the dealer, as this was not normal - in any way. Turns out there was an issue with the AWD/traction control and when it initiated. (They first tried new tires, different make, then alignment, etc. etc.)

It was so bad (before they finally figured it out) - that I would not drive it if it was going to rain. Almost felt like when you mis-match tires (make/tread) on the front and back. It was so squirrelly that you felt like it was going to go sideways, but only in rain. My guess it is not the tires - but the AWD or traction control system.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:30 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Haven't experience this in my 992 C4S yet, but have had limited driving time in the rain - having it only 1 month.

I have had this problem though on one other car - it was an AWD BMW. It was scary, and felt like the car was going to lose control in the rain. Also when this car would go from a rainy roadway, then under an overpass (where it was more dry), it would feel specifically amplified then - that the car was going to go sideways when going from wet to dry and back to wet. In that secenario you would actually feel the car kind of torque a bit. But you would feel the same instability - just less pronounced - on a regular wet roadway, all the time.

After much analysis - and trips to the dealer, as this was not normal - in any way. Turns out there was an issue with the AWD/traction control and when it initiated. (They first tried new tires, different make, then alignment, etc. etc.)

It was so bad (before they finally figured it out) - that I would not drive it if it was going to rain. Almost felt like when you mis-match tires (make/tread) on the front and back. It was so squirrelly that you felt like it was going to go sideways, but only in rain. My guess it is not the tires - but the AWD or traction control system.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I've described it like mismatched tires a couple times to a few people I know...and why I switched from my winter tires to my summer tires the car came on just to make sure that N spec tires OEM were on before really thinking about talking the issue.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:43 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

Were they able to fix your AWD/ traction control so it stopped doing it? My 911.2 was like this exactly, I've survived horrible New England weather in Corvettes and Miatas--so I know how to drive sports cars in the rain and snow- but was shocked when my Porsche behaved that way. Now I'm dreading my new one will be squirrelly too.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:53 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Tire pressure can play a role here, also -- in other threads seems Porsche is frequently delivering these cars with absurdly high pressures.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
G650 (05-14-2020), Noah Fect (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:00 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Tire pressure can play a role here, also -- in other threads seems Porsche is frequently delivering these cars with absurdly high pressures.

While that's definitely true, it's not the issue here unfortunately! Unless the wet pressure is supposed to be in the low 20s vs my current 32-36 ranges...but I find that extremely unlikely.

Quick Reply: Unstable Wet Highway Lane Change Characteristics...anyone else?