Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All this talk about sport cats on the 992...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 07:29 PM
tvlaan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 20 Posts
Default All this talk about sport cats on the 992...

with all of the talk lately about installing a set of 200 cell sport catalytic converters on the 992, I’m intrigued and wondering if it’s something that would be worth the investment.

I was hoping I could get a little help/perspective on potentially installing a set of sport catalytic converters on my new 2020 Carrera 4 (nicely equipped including sport package and PTV+).

I have the sport exhaust system already and think the exhaust note is just fine. I am intrigued by the deeper note that seems to be apparent in any of the videos I’ve watched of cars with the sports cats installed.

What are the thoughts of any difference in sound on the base engine vs the S? I know they are essentially the same engine, but wondering if the different size turbos would have an impact on the overall sound. Also, from a performance gain standpoint, any difference in the base vs the S? Everything I’ve read/watched seems to be on an S model and I just want to have realistic expectations for my base C4 if I proceed. Are performance gains so minimal that I should only view this as a sound enhancer?

Finally, would there be any additional benefit with adding the performance air filters as well?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:52 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm extremely happy with the sports exhaust on my C2S, the only reason I've been contemplating the sport cats are the turbo whistles and how much more pronounced they are.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:12 PM
tvlaan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 20 Posts

If I do proceed, I’m leaning toward one brand, but it looks like the 3 main contenders are Capristo, Fabspeed and Soul.

Any other thoughts/experience/guidance?
Old 05-07-2020, 09:19 AM
996db9456
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear good things about kline innovation and akrapovic ...
Old 05-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 123 Posts

My shop is a dealer for both Fabspeed and soul and the products are super high quality. I heard a set of sport cats (soul) on a 992 not too long ago, granted it was on a car without PSE, and it sounded really nice, noticeably more throaty then a stock PSE equipped car next to it. Prob 15-20% louder than the PSE but the sport car cat was under 1200 miles so it bound to get louder and break in more. highly recommend them as it's a great way to get some more sound and power without having to tune or deal with fumes/ warranty issues etc.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:22 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
My shop is a dealer for both Fabspeed and soul and the products are super high quality. I heard a set of sport cats (soul) on a 992 not too long ago, granted it was on a car without PSE, and it sounded really nice, noticeably more throaty then a stock PSE equipped car next to it. Prob 15-20% louder than the PSE but the sport car cat was under 1200 miles so it bound to get louder and break in more. highly recommend them as it's a great way to get some more sound and power without having to tune or deal with fumes/ warranty issues etc.
Did you notice any difference in throttle response?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Brad911
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

I presume the alleged power increase is nominal as none of the manufacturers have confirmed dyno comparisons
Old 05-09-2020, 03:23 PM
PCJR
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad911
I presume the alleged power increase is nominal as none of the manufacturers have confirmed dyno comparisons
My thoughts exactly. Many have asked the question but no manufacturers, distributors or dealers have chimed in with any results.

Quick Reply: All this talk about sport cats on the 992...