Sponsored by:

Before taking delivery check item list:

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 04:50 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
My car should be here next week, so thought to revive this for me and my boat buddies.
This is a list I have been compiling to check before signing off on the paperwork of a new car. This is based off of posts here, and please, I welcome additions, thanks.

At time of dealer Prep:
1. Wheel alignment - check, print results
2. Comfort tire pressure settings: 29/32

At time of purchase:

3. Shipping blocks removed
4. Signs of shipping damage, inside and outside
5. Speakers - check for blown speakers, vibration, at different volume levels
6. Draft dealer damage sign-off letter: simple letter, with the car's VIN included, and have a statement to the effect- "this car has not been repaired in any way during the transportation process and dealership preparation process"
I am adding having the dealer check for any existing TSB's that have NOT been addressed (motor mounts, brake lines, etc.) Just making sure they have looked; but I can always take care of this later if something develops after the fact.
The following users liked this post:
Todd C (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 06:01 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Dan,

I was going to say something about making sure the dealer gets the new 992 added to My Porsche but I have ALREADY RECEIVED the email doing so (pretty impressive). It comes with the pairing code for your car and setting your own security code for the 911 as well.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:22 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

^^^ Thanks all!!! Well noted.

Russbert - my car is already showing up in My Porsche. Right now, I have two 911’s in there. Somehow they got their act together for me, probably because I was a PIA to them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
dribar (11-20-2020), russbert (07-27-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

My car should be here next week, so thought to revive this for me and my boat buddies.
This is a list I have been compiling to check before signing off on the paperwork of a new car. This is based off of posts here, and please, I welcome additions, thanks.

At time of dealer Prep:

At time of purchase:

3. Shipping blocks removed
4. Signs of shipping damage, inside and outside
5. Speakers - check for blown speakers, vibration, at different volume levels
6. Draft dealer damage sign-off letter: simple letter, with the car's VIN included, and have a statement to the effect- "this car has not been repaired in any way during the transportation process and dealership preparation process"
Hey Dan.

I’d add these;

• Do a video walk around of your car. Slowly. Inside and out.

• Run over it with a paint meter.

The first one saved me some heartache. It’s hard in the excitement of picking up your new car to be detail oriented. A decent 5 minute video with a good phone/camera will give you a reference if you find something a week later.

The paint meter may be too much ? But I know people who have done it. Up to you, and your personal level of OCD.

Enjoy, and congrats !
dribar (11-20-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 06:43 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
If this question is off-topic I apologize, but I’ve been meaning to ask and it is delivery-related.

Do they drill anything (e.g., license plate bracket) into the bumper? Or add anything else that isn’t shown on the configurator? I remember the 996 Turbo had some “bumperettes” added that we’re not shown in pictures but apparently required in the US and owners were pissed.
Told the SA before hand
Old 07-24-2020, 07:43 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

^^^ Thanks all!!! Well noted.

Russbert - my car is already showing up in My Porsche. Right now, I have two 911’s in there. Somehow they got their act together for me, probably because I was a PIA to them.
Dan, one more item I'm going to ask them today is IF ALL of the software has been updated to the latest version? Not that it is always the greatest SW, but might as well get the latest fixes.
Todd C (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:19 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Given that you are some distance from your dealer, take the time to have the SA go over EVERYTHING with you, even if it is the (likely) case that you know more about your car than the SA does.

Ask the SA to show you and tell you about what they have done for prep. Let the SA show you every feature and option working, and try the yourself- how everything opens and closes, turns on and off, raises and lowers (door handles and spoiler), detaches and attaches, fills and gets checked. Get deep into the screens to configure settings. Operate the seats, climate control and any other operating options. Check the mirrors, cameras, radars, sensors that signal. See and touch where the battery and tire goop and air pump and wheel lock key are. Look at the manual and warrantee paperwork. Check on items from the options list.

If you have it aligned, talk to the tech who did it and go over ALL the settings with you. Ask questions about the numbers, adjustments made if any, and about street and performance settings, just because. Actually, if you can, be with the tech as the alignment is checked. If they have the latest alignment ran it is amazing fun too. Really good techs will tell you things about the car that the SA may not know.

Run eyes and hands over every exterior and interior surface with the SA as though you were about to fly it into orbit (because you will ). You and your dealer will have examined every crevice and found anything the dealer (if competent and no reason to assume otherwise) may have missed. The dealership won't forget your "strong interest". Face it, you are going to do all that as soon as you get home anyway.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 07-24-2020 at 08:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
markchristenson (07-24-2020), Todd C (07-24-2020), Toon902 (01-16-2023)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:36 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Paint check, video, TSBs, alignment, thorough car review. Check. Will add to the list and repost later. Delivery is expected a week from today.

Thanks again all for sharing your experience and suggestions.
Todd C (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:54 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Check that Air Pump. its clearly a piece of cr*p , which I learned at roadside . plugged into 12V outlet...ran , but when I put it on tyre with pressure load ...and the thing went instant short. would not inflate and blew the accessory fuse . Since replaced ( working item ) , but I have no faith in this built to cheapest vendor by cheapest country next to Germany .....
TEST the thing ...On load, plugged into the outlet from where intended to use.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Well, the car landed today and I am taking delivery on Friday, Here is the final list. Thanks all.

At time of dealer Prep:
3. Verify no outstanding TSBs
4. Software version is latest.
5. No front bumper plate

At time of purchase:

1. Shipping blocks removed
2. Signs of shipping damage, inside and outside
3. Speakers - check for blown speakers, vibration, at different volume levels
4. Paint check
5. Walk around video, interior video
6. Rim check
7. Interior check
8. Thorough review with SA

Todd C (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Well, the car landed today and I am taking delivery on Friday, Here is the final list. Thanks all.

At time of dealer Prep:
3. Verify no outstanding TSBs
4. Software version is latest.
5. No front bumper plate

At time of purchase:

1. Shipping blocks removed
2. Signs of shipping damage, inside and outside
3. Speakers - check for blown speakers, vibration, at different volume levels
4. Paint check
5. Walk around video, interior video
6. Rim check
7. Interior check
8. Thorough review with SA
Dan—are you sending now/did you already send the first set of items to your dealer?
Old 07-27-2020, 11:00 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Dan—are you sending now/did you already send the first set of items to your dealer?
I sent them a few hours ago.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:05 PM
Brandguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of folks finally getting deliveries the next few days/weeks, hopefully including me! This is a great list -- any advice for those of us getting our cars delivered from an out-of-state dealership? Suppose I can have the dealer do a FaceTime walk around before loading the car on the truck, and of course will check for any obvious shipping damage once received on my end, but will be difficult to confirm the balance other than discussing all points with the dealer prior to shipment.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Brandguy
Lots of folks finally getting deliveries the next few days/weeks, hopefully including me! This is a great list -- any advice for those of us getting our cars delivered from an out-of-state dealership? Suppose I can have the dealer do a FaceTime walk around before loading the car on the truck, and of course will check for any obvious shipping damage once received on my end, but will be difficult to confirm the balance other than discussing all points with the dealer prior to shipment.
I would ask for verification, PDFs, of the submitted paperwork and check copy to your DMV. My dealer didn’t submit it until a month and a half later, then they didn’t send the correct amount of money. I am going on four months on temp tags.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:35 PM
Brandguy
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Makes sense Dan - thanks

Quick Reply: Before taking delivery check item list: