Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 C2S dealer demo - deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 10:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Seems to me this one is a year old second hand car and should be priced accordingly. 750 miles is pretty much irrelevant unless you never plan on driving it. Just saying.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:17 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

This entire thread is a bit frustrating! Lets be realistic guys. My 992 is due to arrive at the dealer in a week or so and i got 5% off on a new build. I'm happy with that. This is my first new car at 45 years old. I took a leap and ordered (at the worst time in the last 100 years to buy a luxury car). These cars are expensive! Do the math. Is buying a demo car worth 7-8K over ordering EXACTLY what you want in what will likely be a one time maybe two time purchase in your life? If you can afford a 150K car is 7K really that big of a deal with respect to exactly what you want? If this CPO/750 mile car ticks all the boxes then buy it for anything better than 5% discount. You get money in your pocket and a much better warranty! Otherwise order exactly what you want and don't look back. If you're spending 150K are you really going to miss 5-7K?
The following 4 users liked this post by andrewjn:
C.J. Ichiban (04-13-2020), kwikit356 (04-13-2020), Lee8084 (04-13-2020), PorscheMeister42 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:26 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

If anyone wants to know the worst case on a dealer demo, I’m pretty sure it’s me.

Car was a 1500 mile 2017 991.2demo, story was someone in the dealer’s owner’s family drove it. CPO and nearly 20% off, beautifully optioned car.

Carfax added a pre-sale accident to the record 2 years after I bought the car. I called the dealer, Porsche, no one has any records of an accident, so have Carfax start an investigation of their records.

Carfax investigated and confirmed it, dealer and Porsche each stick to their “know nothing” act.

Eventually I make a public records request and get a Georgia state police accident report, car was hit by a tractor trailer while being driven by a Porsche exec, while they owned the car and drove it around for a bit.

Apparently repaired it at Porsche North America in house and sold it on to dealer through an auction system for the cars they use. No one from the dealer ever drove the car, just a convenient story I guess.

Anyway, after many, many months of calling, having most calls not returned, and eventually threatening a federal civil fraud lawsuit, we came to an agreeable resolution.

But for me, after my (hopefully uniquely bad) experience with a demo deal, it felt really good to get a new car, tell the dealer I don’t even want them taking the stickers off of it, etc.
The following users liked this post:
T3X4S (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:35 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
If anyone wants to know the worst case on a dealer demo, I’m pretty sure it’s me.

Car was a 1500 mile 2017 991.2demo, story was someone in the dealer’s owner’s family drove it. CPO and nearly 20% off, beautifully optioned car.

Carfax added a pre-sale accident to the record 2 years after I bought the car. I called the dealer, Porsche, no one has any records of an accident, so have Carfax start an investigation of their records.

Carfax investigated and confirmed it, dealer and Porsche each stick to their “know nothing” act.

Eventually I make a public records request and get a Georgia state police accident report, car was hit by a tractor trailer while being driven by a Porsche exec, while they owned the car and drove it around for a bit.

Apparently repaired it at Porsche North America in house and sold it on to dealer through an auction system for the cars they use. No one from the dealer ever drove the car, just a convenient story I guess.

Anyway, after many, many months of calling, having most calls not returned, and eventually threatening a federal civil fraud lawsuit, we came to an agreeable resolution.

But for me, after my (hopefully uniquely bad) experience with a demo deal, it felt really good to get a new car, tell the dealer I don’t even want them taking the stickers off of it, etc.

Nightmare. People drive demo cars like they stole it. Test driven cars will get hammered out the gate after sitting cold all day long. Lots of different humans sitting in those demos and sometimes they can smell funny.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Nightmare. People drive demo cars like they stole it. Test driven cars will get hammered out the gate after sitting cold all day long. Lots of different humans sitting in those demos and sometimes they can smell funny.
CARFAX REPORT: PREVIOUS DEALER DEMO, INDIAN FOOD DELIVERY NOTED ON CARFAX. BARBECUE DELIVERY VEHICLE POSSIBLE. DEALER WIFE DROVE TO NAIL SALON
The following 3 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
Baba Ghanoush (04-13-2020), dhirm5 (04-14-2020), T3X4S (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
CARFAX REPORT: PREVIOUS DEALER DEMO, INDIAN FOOD DELIVERY NOTED ON CARFAX. BARBECUE DELIVERY VEHICLE POSSIBLE. DEALER WIFE DROVE TO NAIL SALON
That’s pretty funny, CJ.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:17 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

he was being serious....
Old 04-13-2020, 10:53 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
I'm hoping y'all got a chuckle out of it. I'm a SA lol. I just find it funny when $10,000 just isn't enough money off something and there needs to be "far off" that. When shopping for $129,000/$139,000 cars, what is $10,000 aside from $150/month more in payment. These days you aren't buying in cash with money being cheap so you're just negotiating a payment really. You're likely not going to keep this more than the CPO period on something like this, so down the road 4-5 years are you going to really care what you paid for the thing? It's only going down in value and quite frankly, hard. C'mon now....back to the peanut gallery.
If anyone out there is buying a car and still negotiating based on payment they need to go back to car buying school as they will get flipped over HARD by most dealers. You have my permission to charge those guys ADM on a demo car lol.

I respectfully disagree on the discount on a demo and have went through this when looking at demo cars in the past. (which I never have bought due to dealers basically pricing them as new).

With very little trouble, in a strong economy, I got 5% and 7% off my last two new ordered Porsche’s. This is market rate for the educated buyer and a fair number especially if the dealer is handling financing, etc. Given the math on this discount is 7k to 10k on a 140k car, I would say, for me, the car needs to come down a bit more off that 10k number.

IMO a fair price for a demo like this is at 10% or a bit more off MSRP assuming no stories and essentially as new condition. Every paint chip, scuff, etc miles over 1000, etc changes this.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Licensed2bill
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealer offered slightly less than an 8% discount off MSRP. Based on all the very helpful feedback on this thread and others on this site I’m going to take a pass and wait a bit longer for a new car or a new order when things open up again. I’m in no rush and it certainly seems 8% is not worth the potential issues a demo car poses. Thanks to everyone for their input; Rennlist is proving to be an incredible resource for this first-time Porsche customer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Licensed2bill:
crimewave (04-15-2020), rk-d (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:17 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankAT
I purchased a demo 992. Big mistake. Big, big mistake. Car was 99% to my build specs. Bought from an out of state low volume dealer. When I purchased, 992's were still a bit scarce and I was acting very impulsively. 7.5% off MSRP.

The SA stated that the car was driven by the owner of the dealership group, an older woman (in her 60's). So I felt somewhat confident going into it that it wasn't abused or driven hard. I did a fairly decent inspection at the dealership although I was a bit rushed as I was in a hurry to get back home (4 hour drive). It's amazing how easily they can hide imperfections.

When I got the car home, I did a more detailed and involved inspection for my own self assurance. What I found:
  • Crumbs from eaten food in areas they missed in the detail (or lack thereof)
  • PCM was still programmed to someone else's phone/profile. It wasn't the owner of the dealership. Based on the nickname assigned to the profile I concluded it was probably a teenager
  • Small damage to the leather (a divot in the passenger seat and a very light tear almost undetectible)
  • In good sunlight, I could see swirling in the paint
  • I'm about 3k miles into the car and the rotors are squealing. Might just be stick slip but I'm praying they aren't worn from track use or something.
I'll spare you the details around my subsequent back and forth with the dealership. Suffice to say their response was atrocious. So much so that I called PCNA to complain and gave the lowest rating possible on the post-sale CSAT survey from PCNA. This is my 5th Porsche and have never had to do anything like that.

Bottom line is don't do it. Don't even consider it. Also, note that a demo doesn't get a CPO warranty extension. It is an untitled car, sold as new.
None of your issues adds up to BIG MISTAKE to me. Esp w discount + cpo - they don't amount to a hill of beans. You can find swirl marks on many new cars in sunlight.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
Freddie Two Bs (04-14-2020), WellDressedCar (04-16-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

I think many of you are overly afraid of these cars driven by unknown people in unknown ways. With less than 1k miles and CPO, I'd buy it without a second thought for the offered 8% + CPO, if indeed the build checked all my boxes.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheMeister42 (04-16-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 02:25 AM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
I'm hoping y'all got a chuckle out of it. I'm a SA lol. I just find it funny when $10,000 just isn't enough money off something and there needs to be "far off" that. When shopping for $129,000/$139,000 cars, what is $10,000 aside from $150/month more in payment. These days you aren't buying in cash with money being cheap so you're just negotiating a payment really. You're likely not going to keep this more than the CPO period on something like this, so down the road 4-5 years are you going to really care what you paid for the thing? It's only going down in value and quite frankly, hard. C'mon now....back to the peanut gallery.
Welcome to the new reality. In 2008 I bought a fully loaded M3 that was brand new for $21K off a $72K sticker and they over paid for my trade by another $4K. Lehman Bros went BK 2 weeks before and the financial crisis had been going on for a while.

Our current situation is actually much more acute and dangerous. We have had 5-6M unemployment applications PER WEEK. The global economy has been shut down for weeks and a true "reopening" is months away. When is the next time there will be a baseball game with people in the stadium? Who wants to go get dinner while wearing a mask and having to lift it up every time you take a bite or sip a drink? Oil is at $20 a barrel for WTI and Texas/North Dakota/Central California are not making money with those prices. All elective surgeries have been cancelled and hospitals are laying off everyone not associated with acute care. One of the local hospitals here in SD publicly stated they are losing $800K per day.

On the positive side, production has been impacted as well so in the short term there is less over supply, but there are gong to be plenty of nearly new 992's offered up at steep discounts. Four threads up right now is a 992 with 4K miles for $119K from a $151K sticker without negotiation. $40K is probably a little steep, but $30K off doesn't sound unreasonable for a demo car that has been abused for 750 miles in this market.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:13 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I think many of you are overly afraid of these cars driven by unknown people in unknown ways. With less than 1k miles and CPO, I'd buy it without a second thought for the offered 8% + CPO, if indeed the build checked all my boxes.
let me know when you’ve taken delivery
Old 04-15-2020, 09:59 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

It's a great deal at 20% off. At 10% off, it's a bad deal. Low ball an offer and see where it goes. I'm not a doomsday guy, but the market has to be getting soft until people are back at work.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:04 PM
Brad911
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

It’s a no deal at 20% off.

Quick Reply: 992 C2S dealer demo - deal or no deal?