Sponsored by:

992 C2S dealer demo - deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Brad911
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Baba Ghanoush
Whoaaaa. Hold up. You seriously think you could walk into the dealership and offer up $40k off a $139k car with 750 miles on it, full factory warranty remaining AND another 2 years of CPO on top of that? I'm not sure what world you live in, but I want to be a part of that world! OP, if you can get that car for $99k, buy it immediately or, if you pass, PLEASE let me know where to show up with my wallet at.
^^^ This. I am second in line.
The following users liked this post:
Baba Ghanoush (04-12-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:29 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

10% off MSRP would be $125k. I know some folks here claim a 10% discount is doable on a new ordered or lot car, but I’d need evidence to accept that as fact. With no trade in the equation I’d say a 10-12 percent discount would be a good deal. Given that the dealer had to cough up dollars for CPO I’d be surprised if they would let it go for less. Could be a different story a few months down the road, but I don’t think we are yet in the Twilight Zone where dealers are paying people to take cars off their hands.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:50 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
10% off MSRP would be $125k. I know some folks here claim a 10% discount is doable on a new ordered or lot car, but I’d need evidence to accept that as fact. With no trade in the equation I’d say a 10-12 percent discount would be a good deal. Given that the dealer had to cough up dollars for CPO I’d be surprised if they would let it go for less. Could be a different story a few months down the road, but I don’t think we are yet in the Twilight Zone where dealers are paying people to take cars off their hands.
Originally Posted by 1RedHead
Since you are a SA, why not try to help a forum member out and give some positive guidance on what they should realistically expect instead of building up drama? Just a perspective from a member of the "peanut gallery".
@1RedHead I've tried many a time to assist many on Rennlist...often times my info is not held in high regard as its too realistic. But, I'll try again.

@gcurnew has it right on the money. The dealer/I has/have about 9-10% on the new car profit with anything on their/my lot. Dealer cost to CPO a 911 is $2,690.00. It's a flat cost with no mark-up available. Its what Porsche charges dealers for the warranty. 750 miles is nothing for a car like this and with CPO you're getting a car with a longer warranty than a new car bought today. I think 10-12% off is a great deal for someone. Heck, a point could be made for 9% since its CPO and carries that extra value throughout its lifetime. CPO is transferable and the car is always CPO at this point, so it can be sold as such down the road if you don't use it all up. Private party value goes up especially since most times you cannot buy a warranty on a car privately. There is a small transfer fee to have that passed onto the new buyer. You're still going to realistically lose 35-45% of the value of the car over the next 3-4 years (based on residual values), so you'll be slightly ahead of the game on a CPO car with the extra value added in. By then, there will be 992.2 and x-y-z...life moves on.
The following 4 users liked this post by PorscheMeister42:
1RedHead (04-11-2020), dhirm5 (04-14-2020), NigelPlays (04-11-2020), Pumpsmynads (04-13-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 11:07 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I’d make sure you had the story confirmed on how the car was used, where the miles came from... for example it could actually be a car Porsche NA used, and then sold to the dealer w 750 miles already on it, through the auction system, in which case the car could have been a lot less expensive to the dealer than a regular one, and they’d have more room to discount and invest in the extended warranty than on a normal car.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

At the end of the day this is a used car, correct? I agree CPO is value added, particularly on a low miles car, but if this isn't being sold as a "new" car and OP would be the second owner, then the price would need to reflect it.

Demo car was driven hard when cold. You can count on it. Not ideal, but probably not the end of the world. CPO is a nice warm blanket.

I'd say 15%. May not be realistic, but personally I would want a killer deal to convince me to buy a demo car.
JB43 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:33 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I purchased a demo 992. Big mistake. Big, big mistake. Car was 99% to my build specs. Bought from an out of state low volume dealer. When I purchased, 992's were still a bit scarce and I was acting very impulsively. 7.5% off MSRP.

The SA stated that the car was driven by the owner of the dealership group, an older woman (in her 60's). So I felt somewhat confident going into it that it wasn't abused or driven hard. I did a fairly decent inspection at the dealership although I was a bit rushed as I was in a hurry to get back home (4 hour drive). It's amazing how easily they can hide imperfections.

When I got the car home, I did a more detailed and involved inspection for my own self assurance. What I found:
  • Crumbs from eaten food in areas they missed in the detail (or lack thereof)
  • PCM was still programmed to someone else's phone/profile. It wasn't the owner of the dealership. Based on the nickname assigned to the profile I concluded it was probably a teenager
  • Small damage to the leather (a divot in the passenger seat and a very light tear almost undetectible)
  • In good sunlight, I could see swirling in the paint
  • I'm about 3k miles into the car and the rotors are squealing. Might just be stick slip but I'm praying they aren't worn from track use or something.
I'll spare you the details around my subsequent back and forth with the dealership. Suffice to say their response was atrocious. So much so that I called PCNA to complain and gave the lowest rating possible on the post-sale CSAT survey from PCNA. This is my 5th Porsche and have never had to do anything like that.

Bottom line is don't do it. Don't even consider it. Also, note that a demo doesn't get a CPO warranty extension. It is an untitled car, sold as new.

Noah Fect (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:48 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

My previous 991 4S was a launch car not a demo car but a launch car. Owned it 4years never an issue other than a few COV"s which were common on 991.1 cars. Car was flawless other than that.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:49 AM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankAT
I purchased a demo 992. Big mistake. Big, big mistake. Car was 99% to my build specs. Bought from an out of state low volume dealer. When I purchased, 992's were still a bit scarce and I was acting very impulsively. 7.5% off MSRP.

The SA stated that the car was driven by the owner of the dealership group, an older woman (in her 60's). So I felt somewhat confident going into it that it wasn't abused or driven hard. I did a fairly decent inspection at the dealership although I was a bit rushed as I was in a hurry to get back home (4 hour drive). It's amazing how easily they can hide imperfections.

When I got the car home, I did a more detailed and involved inspection for my own self assurance. What I found:
  • Crumbs from eaten food in areas they missed in the detail (or lack thereof)
  • PCM was still programmed to someone else's phone/profile. It wasn't the owner of the dealership. Based on the nickname assigned to the profile I concluded it was probably a teenager
  • Small damage to the leather (a divot in the passenger seat and a very light tear almost undetectible)
  • In good sunlight, I could see swirling in the paint
  • I'm about 3k miles into the car and the rotors are squealing. Might just be stick slip but I'm praying they aren't worn from track use or something.
I'll spare you the details around my subsequent back and forth with the dealership. Suffice to say their response was atrocious. So much so that I called PCNA to complain and gave the lowest rating possible on the post-sale CSAT survey from PCNA. This is my 5th Porsche and have never had to do anything like that.

Bottom line is don't do it. Don't even consider it. Also, note that a demo doesn't get a CPO warranty extension. It is an untitled car, sold as new.

You found crumbs in the car, and that set you off enough to be mad at the dealer and contact PCNA??? Swirling in the paint? Likely from a regular "wash" at the dealership and what do you expect, it didn't just roll out of the factory (not to mention it took "right sunlight"/conditions to even see it). I can imagine what the dealership's response was to you given your description of your "problems" in getting a car with 7.5% off. Also, you are simply wrong on the demo not getting a CPO warranty extension. The dealership is allowed to do that with a demo car if they so choose and pay for the warranty to do it. Not sure where you got the information that they cannot CPO a demo car and "have" to sell it as new. With that being said, I will agree with you on one thing...if you want a BRAND NEW car...you should buy a BRAND NEW car. Maybe not buy the car that has technically been used/driven for several hundred-thousand miles if you cannot stomach having an actual "used" car, which is what it is as soon as it has been used like that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Baba Ghanoush:
dhirm5 (04-14-2020), Freddie Two Bs (04-12-2020), JB43 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 02:00 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

You found crumbs in the car, and that set you off enough to be mad at the dealer and contact PCNA??? Swirling in the paint? Likely from a regular "wash" at the dealership and what do you expect, it didn't just roll out of the factory (not to mention it took "right sunlight"/conditions to even see it). I can imagine what the dealership's response was to you given your description of your "problems" in getting a car with 7.5% off. Also, you are simply wrong on the demo not getting a CPO warranty extension. The dealership is allowed to do that with a demo car if they so choose and pay for the warranty to do it. Not sure where you got the information that they cannot CPO a demo car and "have" to sell it as new. With that being said, I will agree with you on one thing...if you want a BRAND NEW car...you should buy a BRAND NEW car. Maybe not buy the car that has technically been used/driven for several hundred-thousand miles if you cannot stomach having an actual "used" car, which is what it is as soon as it has been used like that.
Yeah, sure did. This is a $150k car, with a nominal discount. Not a Malibu from Enterprise. A dealer demo is not a used car. They are represented and sold as new. There are some cases when CPO cars are tagged as "demo" but this wasn't one of them. To be clear, the areas under the seats were littered with crumbs, not just a few here and there. If a dealership provisions a car as a demo and intend for it to be resold to a customer as new, they should treat it accordingly. The car had 400 miles, I think it is reasonable to expect the dealer to be truthful in their account of its history and ensure the car is "nearly new" if represented as new at delivery. If they are unable to do so, it needs to be sold as used and priced accordingly. Moreover, obviously I can vacuum crumbs. Had that been the only issue it wouldn't be such a big deal. But you chose to pick that one bullet point out.

How has it technically been driven for "several hundred-thousand miles"?
Old 04-12-2020, 02:10 AM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankAT
Yeah, sure did. This is a $150k car, with a nominal discount. Not a Malibu from Enterprise. A dealer demo is not a used car. They are represented and sold as new. There are some cases when CPO cars are tagged as "demo" but this wasn't one of them. To be clear, the areas under the seats were littered with crumbs, not just a few here and there. If a dealership provisions a car as a demo and intend for it to be resold to a customer as new, they should treat it accordingly. The car had 400 miles, I think it is reasonable to expect the dealer to be truthful in their account of its history and ensure the car is "nearly new" if represented as new at delivery. If they are unable to do so, it needs to be sold as used and priced accordingly. Moreover, obviously I can vacuum crumbs. Had that been the only issue it wouldn't be such a big deal. But you chose to pick that one bullet point out.

How has it technically been driven for "several hundred-thousand miles"?
I didn't pick just "one" bullet point. I started with the crumbs thing and progressed from there (please go back and read). You are just wrong on what you are saying about the dealer demo. They can do both of the following should they choose: 1) sell it as a dealer demo new; or, 2) sell it as a dealer demo used and CPO'd. Again, my comment stands, particularly in your case. If you can't stomach buying a car that has been used by someone (as yours has 400 miles) you shouldn't be purchasing anything less than a brand new car. No one made you buy the thing without doing an inspection. Additionally, I was speaking in general terms when I said several hundred miles-thousand miles, as that would encompass various degrees of demo cars CPO'd, not just your car in particular.

Regardless, you are obviously extremely upset with your situation, so I'm sorry to hear that. I guess next time instead of saving yourself $12-15k, you'll just drop that "chump change" and spring for a fully new one. Or, perhaps you can take the $15k and buy yourself a Malibu from Enterprise.

Back to the original OP question, I still do not think it's a terrible idea to by a CPO'd dealer demo car. I've done it myself and been very happy with the results and savings, albeit I went in fully expecting not to grab a 100% new car as if I did, I would have just done that to begin with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baba Ghanoush:
dhirm5 (04-14-2020), JB43 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 02:17 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

I didn't pick just "one" bullet point. I started with the crumbs thing and progressed from there (please go back and read). You are just wrong on what you are saying about the dealer demo. They can do both of the following should they choose: 1) sell it as a dealer demo new; or, 2) sell it as a dealer demo used and CPO'd. Again, my comment stands, particularly in your case. If you can't stomach buying a car that has been used by someone (as yours has 400 miles) you shouldn't be purchasing anything less than a brand new car. No one made you buy the thing without doing an inspection. Additionally, I was speaking in general terms when I said several hundred miles-thousand miles, as that would encompass various degrees of demo cars CPO'd, not just your car in particular.

Regardless, you are obviously extremely upset with your situation, so I'm sorry to hear that. I guess next time instead of saving yourself $12-15k, you'll just drop that "chump change" and spring for a fully new one. Or, perhaps you can take the $15k and buy yourself a Malibu from Enterprise.

Back to the original OP question, I still do not think it's a terrible idea to by a CPO'd dealer demo car. I've done it myself and been very happy with the results and savings, albeit I went in fully expecting not to grab a 100% new car as if I did, I would have just done that to begin with.
Obviously no one "forced" me to do anything. I readily admit that I made a mistake in buying a demo, thus the purpose of my response to OP as they were asking for feedback. I appreciate your imparting a new sense of personal responsibility to me.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:30 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Licensed2bill
Have not talked price yet. Started at 139k now at 129k. Would definitely need to come far off that. Not even 10% down from original.
10% is good deal for a new car, not for car after test-drive
Old 04-12-2020, 09:26 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

Personally, for a demo, I would expect a 10-12% discount. For a new car, I would expect a 5-6% discount unless it was a hard to get car like a GT model. Good luck. You will love the 992. I bougt a base model in January for my daily driver and now I find it gone half the time. My wife keeps stealing it.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
I'm hoping y'all got a chuckle out of it. I'm a SA lol. I just find it funny when $10,000 just isn't enough money off something and there needs to be "far off" that. When shopping for $129,000/$139,000 cars, what is $10,000 aside from $150/month more in payment. These days you aren't buying in cash with money being cheap so you're just negotiating a payment really. You're likely not going to keep this more than the CPO period on something like this, so down the road 4-5 years are you going to really care what you paid for the thing? It's only going down in value and quite frankly, hard. C'mon now....back to the peanut gallery.
Except it’s a $140k car, not a $40k car. 10% discount is absolutely in the realm of reality. I’ve seen dealers offering a $20k discount on 2020 demos. You’re making yourself look like a typical car salesman. You have an agenda and have zero concern for the finances of your customers. I got a $10k discount on a 2017 C4S, a $10k discount on a 2018 C4S and a $9k discount on an ordered 2019 GTS. Why should a 2020 911 C4S be any different? Because it’s a 992? Please. Don’t act like a $10k discount on a $140k car is a huge deal.

For this early production 2020 demo, I wouldn’t even consider it unless it had atleast a $15k discount. It’s probably going to have bugs, and I don’t want to be the guinea pig.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 04-13-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:38 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Personally, for a demo, I would expect a 10-12% discount. For a new car, I would expect a 5-6% discount unless it was a hard to get car like a GT model. Good luck. You will love the 992. I bougt a base model in January for my daily driver and now I find it gone half the time. My wife keeps stealing it.
You can get 5-6% on a custom build no questions asked. Not sure why you'd aim so low for a dealer lot car, especially given the current market.

Quick Reply: 992 C2S dealer demo - deal or no deal?