Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible changes on the 992.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021 | 09:04 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Exactly! Doing our part to save the planet is so awful!
Agreed - filters are for a good reason. The problem is emission caps are a crude an inefficient solution. Taxing carbon/emissions would be better for everyone.

Majority of car buyers would be fine with filters, enthusiasts pay to enjoy unfiltered sound, proceeds are used to more than offset lack of filter. Better for enthusiasts, better for the environment.

Regardless, my understanding is that US regulations still do not allow particulate filters as they cannot be monitored by OBD plug-in.
Old 12-13-2021 | 03:33 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Having a MY21 car in the UK, new on the standard of exhaust it’s a bit muted. After 4.5k miles the exhaust sound seems to have really come alive….. so I wouldn’t worry too much about the particulate filters in the exhaust, worry more about how two turbos don’t sound as good as a NA engine, say the 4.0 or 991.1 engines. Trade off for torque vs sound imo.

As for the other bits, don’t see 992.2 getting a HUD, double wish bone font end, maybe a power hike up to GTS power level, some cosmetic touches, mainly electronic updates to PCM, different wheel options…..

I think we are reaching the limit to how far a 911 can go without hybrid power applied or a flux capacitor in the back.
Old 12-13-2021 | 06:23 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Interesting to see if they go mild hybrid with the .2.

I am presuming model year 2024 so announced spring 2023???
Old 12-13-2021 | 09:39 AM
savethemanual
Advanced

Originally Posted by 992uk

Model year 2024 sounds right to me, but I don’t know about spring for the announcement. My bet on the announcement would be November 2023.
Old 12-13-2021 | 10:09 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Hybrid by 2024? Not a chance, IMO. But, that would be great if it was that soon.

As an aside, the only place on the 911 that could accommodate the hybrid battery would be in the back seat or the frunk. I could see the back seats being eliminated…or reduced to the point of only being big enough to accommodate a grocery bag?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-13-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2021 | 10:29 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Hybrid by 2024? Not a chance, IMO. But, that would be great if it was that soon.

As an aside, the only place on the 911 that could accommodate the hybrid battery would be in the back seat or the frunk. I could see the back seats being eliminated…or reduced to the point of only being big enough to accommodate a grocery bag?
Apparently it is a small battery within the gearbox so not a plug in. Read it on here I think!
Old 12-13-2021 | 11:27 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Apparently it is a small battery within the gearbox so not a plug in. Read it on here I think!
Well, that would help with finding the space….but even the hybrid batteries on non-plug in’s still take up a fair amount of room. It;’s not like the 911 has a lot of free space? Here are the specs on one of Toyota’s non-plug in hybrid batteries:

Weight: 1.04 kg, and has dimensions of 19.6mm(W) x 106mm(H) x 275mm(L).

But hey, you might be right, they could find the space somewhere with the smaller battery. Although a significantly lower powered, non-plug in hybrid would help improve overall fuel economy (which is a good thing), given the added weight of all the necessary hybrid components, including the battery, I don’t see the performance payoff? Besides the lower fuel consumption on my hybrid (non-plug-in), the next best benefit is the regenerative braking, which, after 150K miles on my car, has only reduced the brake pad thickness by about 50%. 😃 Which is a good thing..

If I was Porsche, I’d delay and do it right by offering a plu-in hybrid version. My own belief is that if Porsche does go that direction, the only significant space they could utilize, would be the rear seating area….which if the battery pack was located there, could move the car’s center of gravity forward a bit. I guess the question would be, would many of their customers miss it if the rear seating went away? I wouldn’t miss it.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-13-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2021 | 05:42 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

If Porsche were to place the battery in the tunnel where the C4 driveshaft presently goes and perhaps make the tunnel a bit wider behind the driver (per Chevrolet Volt), I'd imagine there's plenty of room for a plug-in size battery.
Old 12-13-2021 | 05:52 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
If Porsche were to place the battery in the tunnel where the C4 driveshaft presently goes and perhaps make the tunnel a bit wider behind the driver (per Chevrolet Volt), I'd imagine there's plenty of room for a plug-in size battery.
For the smaller, non-plug in hybrid battery, yes, perhaps. But eventually, I would expect it will have to be a more powerful battery for pure EV drive? The other thing that may be an issue is putting it in a complete water tight, and secure enclose. As far as I am aware, all hybrid batteries are located inside the car and away from the influences of rain and heat. Repeated exposure to extreme temperatures is the quickest way to shorten the lifetime of a hybrid battery. It could also be placed in the frunk area, where the currently LiPo battery is located….although the frunk area might be reduced?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-13-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2021 | 06:04 PM
jeremylondon
AutoX

I have just ordered a 992 cabriolet.l am in the U.K.

I asked the dealer about a facelift model and the reply was

It is due a facelift in the next 18 months, as long as you do not have a confirmed build slot it will automatically move into the new model year. If you want to wait for the facelift we can delay your build slot.”

What I can’t say is if he is guessing, been told, rumor or whatever !

My estimated delivery is q1/q2 2023 so 18 months.

he said it may come forward - the deposit is refundable and 18 months is a long time so some may drop out I assume.

Last edited by jeremylondon; 12-13-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2021 | 06:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by jeremylondon
I have just ordered a 992 cabriolet.l am in the U.K.

I asked the dealer about a facelift model and the reply was

It is due a facelift in the next 18 months, as long as you do not have a confirmed build slot it will automatically move into the new model year. If you want to wait for the facelift we can delay your build slot.”

What I can’t say is if he is guessing, been told, rumor or whatever !

My estimated delivery is q1/q2 2023 so 18 months.

he said it may come forward - the deposit is refundable and 18 months is a long time so some may drop out I assume.

Even if he is accurate on the “facelift” date (ie 1.5-2 yrs), the question I would ask myself is…what does the “facelift” entail? Cosmetic, or major engineering changes? I doubt he knows, and i doubt anyone here knows. It’s all speculation. This much i would be pretty sure on…whatever the facelift entails, it will cost you more than it does right now.
Old 01-17-2022 | 03:58 AM
CurbKiller
Instructor

It is my understanding that the 992 chassis was designed from the start to be hybrid so there won't be much change needed chassis wise to accept it.

Quick Reply: Possible changes on the 992.2?