Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Sport 4S - 305/30R21 vs 305/25R21

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 10:32 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Bought the PS4S EOM-sized NA0s available on tirerack a couple wks ago. Received an email a couple days later saying "my Michelin rep is quoting a 4-6 week lead time on the rears, do you still want to keep this order?" I am aways from hitting the wear bars and expected a wait, so I said no problem on waiting. Another email came yesterday - now Michelin has no quoted lead time/no promises... "do you want to go with the Mercedes spec in the same 305/30zr21?" The answer will be 'yes', knowing that I'll most likely be on another set of (NA0) rears before trading in. I don't see an issue with this, especially with a C2S (non-AWD) drivetrain, and can't imagine the AMG GT tires could be significantly different than 911's spec. Pros of Merc rears in the OEM size (to me) outweigh the Cons of Pzeros or Goodyears, and can't imagine warranty, insurance coverage, or any other stumbling blocks. Can't wait to drive them...
Old 05-03-2022, 06:48 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by carson2
First off, this is not trying to start ANOTHER thread on tire preference...that's been beat to death by now. I contacted michelin on when the Pilot Sport 4S would be available for our cars, and the response I received was: "We do not have the rear available. From what I can see we do not plan on releasing the rears within this year. We do offer a 305/25R21."

So my question is does anyone have experience in using the narrower sidewall? Granted 305/25R21 vs 305/30R21 isn't much difference, but its a pretty good percentage shallower sidewall, which I would think would create a few downsides (harsher ride, noisier, and greater probability of pinch flats) - though I'm unsure to what degree I'd notice those. So the question is this - do those trade-offs outweigh the handling/noise/other benefits of the Michelin PS 4S (which have been my go-to in the past)? Thoughts?
Don't!
The comfort will be the least of your worries.

The ESC and ABS system was never set up for this combo. You might end up with ESC issues.

When you change the diameter by that much on one axle, you also change the balance of the car, significantly in fact. On top of that, the aero changes quite a bit, and you build a lot more air pressure under the car at speed. Porsche does quite a good job of making sure the ground effects of the car are set right. Just look at how small adjustments you add to a front wing of a GT3 between minimum downforce and max downforce. When you change the angle that much, you run the risk of going from a slight downforce on a car that is not an aggressive downforce car, to actual lift.

Lastly it will look like crap. The rear wheel arch gap will increase,a lot compared to the front. And if you try to offset the negative effects of the smaller diameter rear by lowering the front, this wheel arch gap inconsistency will be even uglier.

Just don't. It's an all around bad idea.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:02 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by carson2
Bought the PS4S EOM-sized NA0s available on tirerack a couple wks ago. Received an email a couple days later saying "my Michelin rep is quoting a 4-6 week lead time on the rears, do you still want to keep this order?" I am aways from hitting the wear bars and expected a wait, so I said no problem on waiting. Another email came yesterday - now Michelin has no quoted lead time/no promises... "do you want to go with the Mercedes spec in the same 305/30zr21?" The answer will be 'yes', knowing that I'll most likely be on another set of (NA0) rears before trading in. I don't see an issue with this, especially with a C2S (non-AWD) drivetrain, and can't imagine the AMG GT tires could be significantly different than 911's spec. Pros of Merc rears in the OEM size (to me) outweigh the Cons of Pzeros or Goodyears, and can't imagine warranty, insurance coverage, or any other stumbling blocks. Can't wait to drive them...
Have driven that Merc shoe on an FF and it is different. Just like the MPS4S on the wifes GTR, Mercedes is one of the manufactures who make quite a few changes to the OEM tyres. They run built in camber in the form of different tyre wall stiffness between outside and inside. They also change compound, tread width and design. That said, it might not be a bad thing. Just be aware that your car might handle different. It might have more oversteer or more understeer. Just go easy to begin with, so that you know the effects. Also make sure you inçrease,pressure in them. Mercedes developed those,tyres for a car with the weight on the front axle, whereas your 911 has a lot of weight on the rear.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport 4S - 305/30R21 vs 305/25R21