Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use to wash/detail car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 11:42 PM
PJSD
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 59 Posts
Default What do you use to wash/detail car?

Sorry if this post is else where, what does everyone use to wash their car at home? Looking for the best product/soap for use with PPF and factory paint, that doesn't leave lots of water marks/spots. What do you use for interior? Leather? Wax? Thanks!
Old 03-28-2020, 12:09 AM
hamerans
Track Day

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Griots garage soap, interior cleaner, and speed detailer! Two 5 gal buckets, one for soap one to rinse with a grit guard and 2 microfiber mitts (one for wheels, one for body of car). I use Cadillac boot and leather conditioner on leather surfaces. Stoner invisible glass for the glass (obviously) and Meguiars NXT tire shine in a can! 303 Aerospace protectant for any plastic or vinyl surfaces. I have full RO on my central water on the house with a high pressure hose attachment and I blow dry the car after with my ShopVac's detachable blower. I use my air compressor and an air blower nozzle to dust in the interior. Use only thick microfiber towels to apply product and wipe out door jambs.

You can order all of the above from amazon. Thats what I like. There are better setups. Take a look at a pro setup on Youtube. That said, I only wash mine, I do not mess with waxes or ceramic coatings. I have a pro detailer that applies and maintains that for me. Took me a long time to perfect this...hope it helps!

The following 2 users liked this post by hamerans:
AlexCeres (09-07-2022), PJSD (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 12:17 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Where I live, it's illegal to use any soap or cleaners to wash your car at home as the chemicals drain into the storm sewers and discharge into the rivers. Fortunately I live in a condo that has soft hot water in the indoor owners' wash bay. I use a freshly laundered microfiber mitt to wash the car a couple of square feet at a time, rinse the section of the car, thoroughly rinse the mitt, repeat. Dry with a batch of freshly laundered microfiber towels. Most people are amazed how well one can wash a car without cleaning products.

Of course, those that can use chemicals will have different methods. I don't have that option and have learned that hot soft water (no spots), a fastidiously clean mitt and LOTS of clean microfiber towels can do a very nice job. No scratches, no swirls, no problem.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:31 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Adam's Car Shampoo. Ph neutral so good with ceramic coatings--makes great suds. 2 bucket method as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by HouTexCarreraS:
EZ E (09-07-2022), OmniBlade (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Where I live, it's illegal to use any soap or cleaners to wash your car at home as the chemicals drain into the storm sewers and discharge into the rivers. Fortunately I live in a condo that has soft hot water in the indoor owners' wash bay. I use a freshly laundered microfiber mitt to wash the car a couple of square feet at a time, rinse the section of the car, thoroughly rinse the mitt, repeat. Dry with a batch of freshly laundered microfiber towels. Most people are amazed how well one can wash a car without cleaning products.

Of course, those that can use chemicals will have different methods. I don't have that option and have learned that hot soft water (no spots), a fastidiously clean mitt and LOTS of clean microfiber towels can do a very nice job. No scratches, no swirls, no problem.
I personally use Griot's, but I met someone who had a similar situation to you and he also could not use chemicals. However, he said if it was really dirty and gritty, he would add Johnson's Baby Shampoo and it worked well. I haven't tried it, but he swore by it -but only if it was really gritty.

Last edited by Metalblond; 03-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Water......
Old 03-28-2020, 09:05 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

If you are using quality products, for the intended purpose, the most important factor will be your technique and your regiment. So don't get too hung-up on the actual product, focus your efforts on your skill and your process.

In all my decades of car care, and $1,000s of dollars spent, my favorite tool ever purchased has been my MasterBlaster from Phil at Detailers Domain. So I'll give you that one nugget.

As for increasing your skill level and honing your technique, start participating in your local PCA's Concours group. Most all have training clinics. At the very least, just attend one of the events. Ask questions of the exhibitors. They love to talk about their cars and are very sharing and collaborative with their years of knowledge.
The following 5 users liked this post by LexVan:
363ny (03-29-2020), Dkk16 (04-12-2020), mavfan909 (07-20-2020), Overdraft (03-30-2020), SamD (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by hamerans
Griots garage soap, interior cleaner, and speed detailer! Two 5 gal buckets, one for soap one to rinse with a grit guard and 2 microfiber mitts (one for wheels, one for body of car). I use Cadillac boot and leather conditioner on leather surfaces. Stoner invisible glass for the glass (obviously) and Meguiars NXT tire shine in a can! 303 Aerospace protectant for any plastic or vinyl surfaces. I have full RO on my central water on the house with a high pressure hose attachment and I blow dry the car after with my ShopVac's detachable blower. I use my air compressor and an air blower nozzle to dust in the interior. Use only thick microfiber towels to apply product and wipe out door jambs.

You can order all of the above from amazon. Thats what I like. There are better setups. Take a look at a pro setup on Youtube. That said, I only wash mine, I do not mess with waxes or ceramic coatings. I have a pro detailer that applies and maintains that for me. Took me a long time to perfect this...hope it helps!

pro-level setup on YouTube
Thanks for posting this video. I enjoyed watching that transformation.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:07 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 132 Posts

Water spots are generally caused by hard water and the mineral deposits being left on the paint. The key is to make sure that you are using soft water to begin with so that there are no minerals to leave deposits or create fine scratches as you wash the car. I use a system by CR Spotless to filter the water during all steps. I have PPF and also Ceramic coating so using a ph-neutral wash helps maintain the ceramic coating. Start with a foam cannon, rinse and then go to the two bucket system for final wash. Dry the car with a blower.

Last edited by 1RedHead; 03-28-2020 at 08:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1RedHead:
Metalblond (03-28-2020), PJSD (03-28-2020), Russian Mafia (09-06-2022)
Old 03-28-2020, 05:37 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Just use a quality soap, lots of foam, 2 bucket method, and if you have a blower it's best or use a slick drying agent on the car before toweling (a Ceramic friendly based detailer or after wash if you have a coating, Chemical Guts After WashOr other). Don't dry aggressively if toweling.
It's not scientific just common sense.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (03-28-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 04:00 PM
Michaelx
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-29-2020, 04:50 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm Obsessed. So I recently installed this....

The following 5 users liked this post by rangerfan94:
1RedHead (03-29-2020), BudgetPlan1 (03-29-2020), mavfan909 (07-20-2020), PJSD (03-29-2020), Still Learning (09-05-2022)
Old 03-29-2020, 05:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

/\very nice! I bought this from Matt last year:

The following users liked this post:
1RedHead (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 05:21 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Being an unfortunate lover of black paint, washing is of utmost importance to me. Pretty much use the same, possibly overly OCD-ish method to wash our black PPF'd car as well as our ceramic coated other cars.

For me, I do that as follows:
1. Foam car using pressure washer/foam cannon
2. 2 or 3-bucket wash with the softest sponge I know of
3. Blow dry with a dedicated air-dryer

Video Link: How to Wash Your Car – 3 Bucket Wash Method:

For a foam cannon, I use the MTM PF22 and a 1.76 gpm pressure washer (2030psi). GPM is more important than all-out psi when getting good foam and if you’re running a lower GPM pressure washer, changing the orifice in the foam cannon will help. My 1.76gpm works best with the 1.1mm orifice, as do most pressure washers with similar specs.

For a soft sponge, I use the Esoteric Sponge: https://www.esotericcarcare.com/esot...r-wash-sponge/

To dry, I use a BigBoi BlowR PRO unit, makes drying the car incredibly easy, safe and effective. I’ve tried a few other methods to blow air and dry but after all is said and done, the BigBoi is, dollar for dollar, the best detailing ‘thing’ I’ve spent money on…and I’ve spent a lot of money on detailing ‘things’. As mentioned above, an air dryer is a great investment. Why I chose the BigBoi over other methods/brands can be found here in my notes: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/other-stuff/#BIGBOI

While I may sometimes think I know things, at the end of the day all I really know is that there is way more I DON’T know with regards to this stuff than that which I DO know…and sometimes that’s half the fun. The other half is looking at your car and being pleased with how it looks; while black will never be as easy to keep clean as other colors there are things you can do to make it tolerable, all of which will apply to other colors as well. As with anything, YMMV, sometimes ya learn as ya go.

My best solution to the riddle of black has been to buy an Agate Gray Metallic Cayman, coat it to the gills and then just enjoy it. Drove that thing through 200 miles of thunderstorms one weekend and it was still clean enough that I didn’t feel the need to wash it for a week or so after…it still looked great. Detail and coating application notes here: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/so...#CAYMAN_DETAIL

As far as specific products, generally stick with Gyeon Bathe for foam and wash bucket, usually follow up after drying with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. If I think I need a bit more 'oomph' in the foaming stage, Gyeon Foam works well.

Cosmic Spritz (or High Gloss for the ultimate shine) are great on PPF but beware if dipping a toe in the Polish Angel world...it's highly addictive (in a very, very, VERY good way)

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 03-29-2020 at 05:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
AlexCeres (09-07-2022), PJSD (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:08 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

How do the experts here care for their ceramic coated wheels? I'd love some tips and product recommendations!

Quick Reply: What do you use to wash/detail car?